• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation licenses Fullmetal Alchemist

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Dominion

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Well this came out of no where.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:13 pm Reply with quote
What do you mean it came out of nowhere? FMA has been incredibly popular ever since it came out. It was just a matter of time until it got licensed.
The_Dominion

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:16 pm Reply with quote
No, the fact the CN will air it in October.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:40 pm Reply with quote
This is great news, and the fansubs are ending at a good spot with ep 31, I don't mind waiting until next year to see the last 19 episodes.

I bet in the coming months we'll see Diamond Comic Distributers pushing some FA merchandise in their Previews catalog and Bandai announcing the GBA game coming soon.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheDoom

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that thinks this sucks?

Sure, it brings it to the US.....But I want to continue watching it NOW. Sad
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Don't know why you're complaining. You've been watching it for free all this time, that doesn't really give you the right to complain. It's something that happens when you watch fansubs, it's almost unavoidable and just has to be accepted. Wink

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I know how you feel in wanting to watch the rest. I myself had also seen the first 31 episodes and although I'd like to see the rest as it comes out, we will all pretty much need to wait it out. It's not that big a deal. I just hope that Funi puts more than 3 episodes per DVD. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Are you kids whining about fansubs blind or just stupid? Since when has something being licensed ever stopped fansubbers? InuYasha is still being fansubbed as it comes out. Same goes for Read or Die TV, and a whole host of other shows that were licensed before they finished their run on Japanese TV and lo, magically, someone on IRC still fansubbed the rest of the series.

It's never been any different; I don't know why people suddenly think things will magically change now. Yeesh.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, it just depends on the groups subbing it Zac. There isn't an ironclad gaurantee of subs continuing, and it's probably better that groups that did stop. I will say that the main group that was subbing it will drop it, as their reputation is decent about pulling it. While you are right that there are some groups out there will continue series that they should not, I'm not counting on this one being continued. No matter. It'll come out in due time, and we will be able to see how this wraps up. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
There isn't an ironclad gaurantee of subs continuing, and it's probably better that groups that did stop. I will say that the main group that was subbing it will drop it, as their reputation is decent about pulling it. While you are right that there are some groups out there will continue series that they should not, I'm not counting on this one being continued. No matter. It'll come out in due time, and we will be able to see how this wraps up. Smile

So you think that Fullmetal Alchemist will be the first series in the history of digisubs where subtitling will stop completely now that the show's been licensed. Yeah. That makes tons of sense. There's no precedent, no history of that happening. You have absolutely no reason whatsoever to think that at all.

And yet you do. And you assert it on a messageboard.

God, I love the internet!
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:14 pm Reply with quote
There's no doubt in my mind that the fansubs will continue, and even if they didn't there's still the bootleg DVD releases. However, that doesn't mean I have to direct people to those avenues either. I feel much more comfortable with telling people to just be happy with what they've got and wait it out, than to tell them about all of the sneaky ways they can get what they want.

Emerje
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
There isn't an ironclad gaurantee of subs continuing, and it's probably better that groups that did stop. I will say that the main group that was subbing it will drop it, as their reputation is decent about pulling it. While you are right that there are some groups out there will continue series that they should not, I'm not counting on this one being continued. No matter. It'll come out in due time, and we will be able to see how this wraps up. Smile

So you think that Fullmetal Alchemist will be the first series in the history of digisubs where subtitling will stop completely now that the show's been licensed. Yeah. That makes tons of sense. There's no precedent, no history of that happening. You have absolutely no reason whatsoever to think that at all.

And yet you do. And you assert it on a messageboard.

God, I love the internet!

There are a number of series that have never been completely fansubbed out there after a license was announced. How shallow of you to think otherwise. Certainly, it's proabably in part because they didn't have as strong a mass appeal like FMA, but as I stated, there is the lack of an "ironclad" guarantee. While I do agree with Emerje's take on the fact that there are the bootleg DVD releases, I differentiated that from the traditional digisubbers. The number of groups collectively known doing FMA has come down to two different releases. (you are welcome to show me otherwise) If they both stop, then it doesn't get done.

Of course, you could also be taking a different direction. Let's say a small niche college group gets together and does it and only has it amonst themselves. Only in that very small scope in the bigger picture then would you be correct. Of course, my assertions were based on the availability of anybody on the internet being able to get them readily, ala the fansubbing world as we know it. If you can show me that all series digisubbed over the last 3-4 years have been completed and have been available on the internet at some point, I'll be more than happy to prostrate myself before you and stroke your ego. Otherwise, you are just attempting a pseudo-intellectual argument that holds little water and making generalizations only when it suits your purposes.
Solidus

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:15 pm Reply with quote
okay ...it kinda sucks that they licenced fma especially when i just got to the FOURTH episode... i cant get it anywhere here where im from so i simply have to hope that there are kind people that would have the heart to fansub or share it online coz I LOVE that show(even only after 4 episodes....)

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Solidus wrote:
okay ...it kinda sucks that they licenced fma especially when i just got to the FOURTH episode... i can't get it anywhere here where im from so i simply have to hope that there are kind people that would have the heart to fansub or share it online coz I LOVE that show(even only after 4 episodes....)

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

...or you could shut up, move to Japan and watch it on TV there, or arrange with someone living in Japan to tape each new episode as it airs and mail you the tapes. Or, hell, just buy the Japanese DVD's (if they're out already; /too lazy to check)
And if you start going on about how you don't know Japanese - well, that's *your* problem...and the reason why you'll also most likely keep shut up, and gladly fork over the money once the DVD's are out stateside.

You *were* getting something for nothing, and, well, now you aren't. That's just how the world works. Deal with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ryusuke87

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quote
OK, how about this.

Let's face it: all the fansub groups that are currently subbing it are known for stopping fansub distribution once a series is licensed. They WILL stop.

The other side of the issue is the fact that FUNIMATION OF ALL COMPANIES LICENSED IT. They've already ruined so many anime (why the hell would they dub Lupin the 3rd's name pronouncing it "Lupin" when the katakana used to spell his name clearly states "ru-pa-n"? "To stop confusion" my ass! And why rename "Detective Conan" to "Case Closed"?). The only upside to this entire ordeal is that there'll be a Japanese track on the 3-episode, released-too-slowly DVDs. This really sucks... But at least I could still get raws from a certain source...he he he.....
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8