• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Shifts Bleach, Geass, Moribito Timeslots

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simmererdown

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
The members of [as]'s message boards have started a letter campiagn of sorts...they are sending pizza box tops to [as]'s offices (as well as normal stuff). If you all would like to join in the fun, here is the link that will get you the address

http://boards.adultswim.com/adultswim/board/message?board.id=6&thread.id=5044299&jump=true
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:35 am Reply with quote
simmererdown wrote:
The members of [as]'s message boards have started a letter campiagn of sorts...they are sending pizza box tops to [as]'s offices (as well as normal stuff). If you all would like to join in the fun, here is the link that will get you the address

http://boards.adultswim.com/adultswim/board/message?board.id=6&thread.id=5044299&jump=true
I'm kinda flumuxed, why pizza box tops?
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
second, either this move is to avoid more shit from viewers or the first move was just to stir the already uneasy flames of discontent between the groups

Or it was just a really poorly timed re-broadcast of a promo for the schedule as it existed back in April. There's no change to the schedule at adultswim.com.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
@Conan-san: I would guess it's due to the crazy ammount of Pizza Hut plugs in the original Japanese version of the show. The logos were all painted out of the R1 release, but you still see a pizza box in almost every episode.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
1st of all I want to apologize to all of you about the change and to let you know this took a lot of us who work for AS by surprise as well last Wednesday. After discussing it we came to find out that this schedule change came directly from the president of CN himself.

It boils down to a combination of low ratings and complaints. 1st off the president told us that CN had been receiving complaints from parents and AS fans for a while about Shin-chan and Code Geass. Shin-chan because of all its foul language and sexual harassments coming from a Kindergartner, and Code Geass for its occasional full frontal nudity (even though we do censor it). Because of these reasons, parents were preventing their children from watching them and fans were turning the channel; causing them both to lose ratings. Shin-chan took the hardest hit. After the 1st couple of weeks after it premiered the ratings for it just kept dropping until it was barely getting over 100,000 viewers.The decision finally came last Wednesday to cut Shin-chan, Code Geass, and Guardian of the Spirit from AS and replace them with other shows. Since no one here at AS liked Shin-chan all that much it was immediately cut and replaced with FMA. But we did manage to save Code Geass and GotS for a little while but both were shoved to the “Death” time slot of 5:00 and 5:30 am. CN has cut their agreement with Bandai to show Code Geass R1 and R2. They will show the rest of Code Geass R1 at least before it gets cut. Same with GotS.

I know it’s a sad day for you all and us because we really did like Code Geass. Again I apologize to everyone here on behalf of the AS employees who wanted to keep Code Geass going.

Sounds like BS since Shin Chan got 239,000 2 weeks before it got canceled

Highest Rated Adult Swim
Programs Saturday 8/23/08
[Viewers 18-34]

Code Geass 251,000

Bleach 246,000

Shin Chan 239,000
simmererdown

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm kinda flumuxed, why pizza box tops?

Takeyo is correct. Plus there is a history of sending [as] odd things (like tea bags and ant farms). To be fair people are mailing normal letters and postcards as well.
LunarBluestone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
With all of this talk about money and the expense to run an imported series verses a home-grown one, why don't [AS] buy a license to distribute Anime DVDs from the site? They could recoup some of the money 'lost' to 'low ratings' and it will give some incentive to promote the shows a bit more.

Or better yet, they could sell the OST CDs for some of these shows. Or, if they can get the license to do so, they could sell downloads of songs people want.

Other cable networks have done this (USA, Discovery Networks, etc.) and they are doing it with there own stuff as well as Family Guy, so why not Anime titles?

Anyway, just a thought.
vikes2880

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
This really is sad that CG is being cut once R1 ends. I feel bad that people won't get to see what happens in R2, considering that (being ambiguous to avoid spoilers) R1 ends on a huge cliffhanger. I do wonder how this happened though. CG has won numerous awards in Japan, its dvds have been at the top of the charts, and R2 is the 6th highest ranked anime of all time here on ANN. I have a lot of love of [as], and I wish them all the best, but I believe that some network will have the inteligence to pick up R2 and, by giving it the marketing it deserves, will make it a massive hit; I know I'll be watching.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Hey parents, you are pretty stupid to let your kids watch a program called ADULT SWIM...

So it's OK to let junior watch Naruto (well at least until Toonami was cancelled that is) with loads of violence, but one "naked" part, or anything dealing with "sex" is taboo...

I have a cousin (who is like 14 or so) his parents let him play M rated games (which in my mind is kind of stupid, cause they make the game ratings for a reason).

Adult Swim could have just pushed back Code Geass & Morbito an hour (like 1 AM or so) and put on an hour of "Family Guy" or "Robot Chicken" (or something decent). They did not have to "punish" us by putting on 2 hours of their so-called "comedy" shows.

Morbito was just getting started, and is probably one of the more interesting shows they have had on in a while (well besides Death Note), and they are supposed to get season 2 of Code Geass (it's less than 5 episodes away now)?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
vikes2880 wrote:
This really is sad that CG is being cut once R1 ends. I feel bad that people won't get to see what happens in R2, considering that (being ambiguous to avoid spoilers) R1 ends on a huge cliffhanger. I do wonder how this happened though. CG has won numerous awards in Japan, its dvds have been at the top of the charts, and R2 is the 6th highest ranked anime of all time here on ANN. I have a lot of love of [as], and I wish them all the best, but I believe that some network will have the inteligence to pick up R2 and, by giving it the marketing it deserves, will make it a massive hit; I know I'll be watching.

Um...no one said once that Code Geass is being cut once the first season ends. The second season's first few episodes are still on [as]'s schedule, and a Bandai representative stated flat-out at some anime convention earlier today that it will be aired.
crimsonpissed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
I HATE CN. Beyond anything. I wish someone would kick the people who run CN's butt. Big time

Toonami - Is over. Done. That means No more Naruto. (Which sucked right now anyways but that means we prob won't ever get the second season, which is spossed to be better)

And they will remove the rest of the anime soon. Even Bleach. Thats what its coming down to. They are just screwing over anime viewers. ANd please, don't get me that ratings crap. Late night ratings are always gonna be lower then any other time.

I really wish some other channel would buy out Bleach, CG and Morb. Maybe Scifi.. They show anime. Right now just meh stuff...but it could work.

Would be better then this bulls--- we are getting from CN, as they slowly get rid of all their anime.

I say after they do, everyone who can STOP watching CN for good. No matter what.

Because who wants to watch a network that screws over its viewers as MUCH as they have?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
While tonight the scedule is still the horrible 5:00-6:00 for Moribito and Geass, next weak they are back to 1:00-2:00 and 4:00-5:00 like they used to be, according to the scedule on Adult Swim's website. This confirms what enurtsol posted earlier.

Yay for more Inuyasha reruns too! Razz
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:50 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but I would take the flash schedule with a grain of salt. Next Saturday's lineup will be determined by the winner of the BK Have it Your Way contest. If you look at the flash schedule, the only show with posted episode titles is InuYasha; all the other shows have none. And since the winning lineup won't be announced until next Saturday, [as] just needed something to put in as placeholders for now, that's all.
animem@ster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:13 am Reply with quote
GOD Adult Swim!! Where the heck is INUYASHA!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
That's the whole reason why I even bother get up at 5!!!!
This is a downfall to all Inuyasha fans who want to see it dubbed. Anime cry
I should just go and kill you all!!!
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:51 am Reply with quote
vikes2880 wrote:
This really is sad that CG is being cut once R1 ends. I feel bad that people won't get to see what happens in R2

Taking into consideration how utterly ridiculous is Code Geass R2, they won't miss much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 19