• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Manga Creator Tite Kubo Interviewed by LA Times

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
As far as I can tell, it's not an interview, but a report on his appearance at Comic-Con. Still cool to know a little bit more about him and his design process, though.

...Wish we could get some photographs, though...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't see an interview either.

More so an overlook of Kubo and the Bleach manga.
boznia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
The interview is actually at this link that was in the article.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Which reminds me. Didn't Carlos or someone say that one of the questions that were to be asked at Comic-con was what is the real meaning behind the name Bleach. You know to put that little question to rest. I checked the con report but didn't see anything about it. Anime catgrin

Times wrote:
In 1999, he launched his first serial, "Zombie Powder," which ran until 2000.

You know I would really like him to write about two more volumes of that. Never going to happen I know, but still.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Solomon again, huh? I'm surprised he didn't get a pink slip like the other columnists at the paper. Surprised Jump originally rejected Bleach, though, considering they were publishing Shaman King and Hoshin Engi around the same time.
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Solomon again, huh? I'm surprised he didn't get a pink slip like the other columnists at the paper. Surprised Jump originally rejected Bleach, though, considering they were publishing Shaman King and Hoshin Engi around the same time.

They didn't publish it at first because the original premise was too much like Yu Yu Hakusho.
ankoku22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In recent years, rumors have proliferated within the U.S. entertainment industry about deals to make popular manga into live-action films. Kubo dismissed the idea of turning "Bleach" into a film with real actors. "If it were possible to do 'Bleach' as a live-action movie, I wouldn't have drawn the manga. I want to draw something that can only be done as a manga."

Hmm... I guess he wasn't counting the series of live-action Bleach musicals when he said that.
Vekou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
The initial premise is still a lot like YuYu Hakusho: Rough high school punk who actually has a good heart gets recruited by a girl from the afterlife into taking on a job using his latent spiritual powers to fight monsters and stuff. Of course, they both went off into different territory later, but they both started off the same way.

But it's not as if I dislike Bleach. It obviously borrowed heavily from YuYu at first but I think Bleach is a far superior series with a richer cast, more interesting story and more appealing artwork. And there's no damn tournaments. At least, not yet... (knock on wood).
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
I thought Bleach was borrowing more from DBZ and Jojo than YYH, to be honest. Which makes me wonder why FOX didn't just license it for a live-action adaptation, if they wanted a high school setting so badly.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
ankoku22 wrote:
Quote:
In recent years, rumors have proliferated within the U.S. entertainment industry about deals to make popular manga into live-action films. Kubo dismissed the idea of turning "Bleach" into a film with real actors. "If it were possible to do 'Bleach' as a live-action movie, I wouldn't have drawn the manga. I want to draw something that can only be done as a manga."

Hmm... I guess he wasn't counting the series of live-action Bleach musicals when he said that.

Uh, he specifically said "live-action movie"... a musical stage production does not count. Though it is rather hilarious to watch it. Some of the songs are pretty cool.

But I agree with Kubo, there's just no way you could make a credible movie out of Bleach. Please let it never be attempted.
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:57 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Which makes me wonder why FOX didn't just license it for a live-action adaptation, if they wanted a high school setting so badly.

If you mean Bleach, that would be even more difficult to localize for an American audience, what with all the distinctly Japanese elements in it - they'd have to change pretty much everything about the setting to the point that it wouldn't really be Bleach anymore. I mean, not even Ichigo's hair would be a big deal - yeah, it's a stupid shade of orange, but it wouldn't be so obtrusive in a place where not everyone has black/dark hair.

Anyway, the interview is nice. Despite my problems with Bleach (which basically amount to how Kubo treats my favorite character), I like it a lot and Kubo himself seems like a nice guy.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He cites Masami Kurumada's long-running "Saint Seiya," the tale of a boy training to become a "knight of Athena," as an influence: "When I was in my early teens, I started reading 'Saint Seiya': That's when I decided to become a manga artist.

That doesn't surprise me one bit... Bleach is very much like this generation's Saint Seiya. Too bad the influencer doesn't do even half as well over here as the influencee.

Maybe this quote can get people who like Bleach interested in Saint Seiya...
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:57 am Reply with quote
mufurc: Just use English shorthand on a lot of phrases.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
TBH, Bleach is probably one of the few shonen titles that wouldn't look completely ridiculous in live-action (the majority of the characters are at an age where using martial arts/weaponry is more believable, and only a few of them sport REALLY outrageous-looking hair). However, as is often the case with shonen, the story is just way too long and involves too many important characters to do properly in a movie series. Also, considering how Hollywood is treating Dragonball so far (spoiler[they removed Krillin, which I'm furious about. Don't even want to think how upset I would be if they did Bleach and removed Chad or Uryu.], I dread to think how'd they handle Bleach. Okay, so I shouldn't let one series' treatment judge all future treatments, but we're not off to a good start is what I'm saying.

Didn't know that about Rukia being the first character invented. She's my favorite female character in the series, so good for her!

"Kubo grew discouraged, but a letter of encouragement from Akira Toriyama, the creator of the landmark hits "Dragon Ball" and "Dragon Ball Z," buoyed his spirits."

Toriyama is so awesome. Very Happy Never let the dream die!

Lord Geo: Well, you can add one person on that list, I've sorta heard of Saint Seiya, but never seen it. It'll have to go on my ever-growing "future anime/manga" list. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
boznia wrote:
The interview is actually at this link that was in the article.

Yeah, that's the article I was originally referring to, but it's still not an interview.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2