• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: MSNBC Reports on Sex in Otaku Culture

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
This is your typical trash tabloid journalism. I've looked at the link to Sharon Kinsella's blog and most of what she has published is dated at 1999 at the latest. I've taken the bother of e-mailing her with a link to that article, asking for her opinion about it. I'll post it here if she bothers to reply either way.
Firstly apologies for necroing this post, but I did eventually get a reply from Ms Kinsella:
Ms. Kinsella wrote:
Very sweet of you to let me know about this [Mohawk52]. I'm on maternity leave in the countryside, Italy, and not able to spend much time on this, but basically, this sort of junk journalism as you call it is very common, its almost a subcategory of contemporary Euro-American entertainment. I've seen worse and I think what
always strikes me about sexed-up infotainment articles on Japan is how repetitive they are - the same (not) news about Lolita's over and over.

Best, sharon
I replied to say I couldn't agree more.
motaku96

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
i saw something that's kind of related on the news the other day. well its not on this same subject but it relates to otaku culture. they showed a guy that built a life like girl robot(i wanna call it a persocom since it looks like one). anyway they were pointing out things like he still lives with his parents and he doesn't have a girlfriend. even if its true, they made it a point of basically saying that he's a loser otaku. i felt a little offended by that(well i'm a loser otaku too, but still you don't have to rub it in). btw i met this guy and his "persocom" at the new york anime festival back in september. the news is about 3 months late.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
motaku96 wrote:
i saw something that's kind of related on the news the other day. well its not on this same subject but it relates to otaku culture. they showed a guy that built a life like girl robot(i wanna call it a persocom since it looks like one). anyway they were pointing out things like he still lives with his parents and he doesn't have a girlfriend. even if its true, they made it a point of basically saying that he's a loser otaku. i felt a little offended by that(well i'm a loser otaku too, but still you don't have to rub it in). btw i met this guy and his "persocom" at the new york anime festival back in september. the news is about 3 months late.

Well thanks for telling us anyway (and for me to bother adding another 2 cents to an already outdated thread at that).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7