• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Senate Committee Approves New Net Copyright Bill

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Xanas wrote:
So rather than having the industries defend themselves, we should have taxpayers paying to defend them.

Brilliant.

Well, and I hate to make this comparison, but it's like when the state prosecutes on the side of a rape victim. I am aware of the differences, but there are also striking similarities. Including the powerlessness of the plaintiff.

I have no idea how you can confuse criminal versus civil and a company with associated legal teams/contracts/LOBBYISTS with a rape victim.

Your comparison is horrible, both in accuracy and in tone.

I also don't understand the break with reality required to not understand that it ultimately doesn't matter if all those bad people who download are wrong, but how to become and stay profitable.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
The plaintiff is powerless? Really now...

You know, this law has almost nothing to do with the anime industry (where I might see your statement), so you just called the MPAA and the RIAA powerless, which is so far from truth. I agree they are "powerless" insofar as they will never stop copying, but the government will fail miserably too. So is the government powerless? No, it's just that it's something that can't be stopped without a police state. This is a stupid attempt that wastes your money, my money, and everyone else's money. And if they ever were able to enforce it with even more laws, etc. it'd be bad for everyone.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
joshjoshlol wrote:

Actually, I didn't even mean to place you in my post, because I didn't even bother to read it. I apologize. I don't like lumping people in the same category because I don't like it being done to me.

*watches how she edits her post next time.*

I've watched fansubs before, I didn't even know what a fansub was at the time. However...

xD I haven't watched it in about two years, not even at anime cons.

....*blinks*....why are we talking about fansubs again? I thought this was just would contain anime that have been recently or already licensed.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
The US Senate is in Hollywood's pants in terms of not just money but also in terms of the influence of lobbying. Make no mistake the provision exists because of the tight relationship of key members of congress with Hollywood lobbyists.

I think you are confusing original intent and interests with final outcome and practices. Businesses by their very nature, and rightly so, should look out for their own interests. Governments, and this doesn't always happen which makes me very sad, should make laws that protect everyone's fair interests equally. Which in this case means a plethora of entertainment businesses.

In other words, if it ends up being a 'good law' that doesn't favor the powerful, but helps everyone equally, then who cares who and how it came about.
joshjoshlol wrote:
This is, in and of itself, a horrid chain of thought. Project your reasoning elsewhere, and you can see it's the natural reaction of the market taking its due course... In the United States (and the entire world, I'm sure) gasoline saw a huge surge in price. A direct result was A.) less miles were driven during summer months (upwards of 18 billion, if my memory serves me correctly) and B.) large cars with poor gas mileage saw a decline in sales. Does this model sound familiar? A phantom price mark-up brought about the decline in purchasing of a good or service, and alternate routes were taken by the consumer to ensure their comfort (which is the highest importance in this whole debate, regardless of the sob stories and sad little violins being played by shills and planted forum goers) at the expense of a corrupted or unchanging corporation.

Gas saw a mark-up in price. So, under your chain of thoughts... people should have driven more? Gotten less fuel efficient cars? Dumped their money down the drain when better alternates were available? Because in your reasoning, that would have brought more gas to the US somehow, as if the market had more fluidity to it than it really does. No, it doesn't make any sense to think that way. They cater to us and our needs, or they themselves go down the drains.

I don't know how long you have been around, from the looks of it not very. But anime has been getting less and less expensive for almost the last decade. In fact I have no problem calling it cheap these days. Your analogy falls on its face.
Navak wrote:
Your comparison is horrible, both in accuracy and in tone.
Actually my tone is fine. Much more civil in fact than the majority of the posters here. This is inarguable.

As far as accuracy, I think a bunch of you are failing to recognize or read(probably both) the first part of that sentence. As I said, I am aware of the differences. I think the similarities start to present themselves when you get to the actual case work, rather than the nature of the crime. Think about it.
Xanas wrote:
I agree they are "powerless" insofar as they will never stop copying
Thank you. I wish to point you to this.
Dargonxtc wrote:
So it is either get rid of the law all together since the industry is helpless to enforce it, or actually defend the laws they make.

Now we all know what you would want. For those of you whom are new here, Xanas is a HUGE anti-IP guy. I happen to think the concept needs some refinement, but is otherwise solid. And I don't think you would need a "police state" to make a reasonable enforcement. I think a lot of that is empty rhetoric and scare tactics. I think it is more that the world is changing, people learned how to milk the system, and are now upset there is a slim possibility of their free stuff being returned to the discretion of the owner.

Either way it is still a touchy prospect for anime companies to actually use something like this. Personally, seeing how fansubbing has taken a turn for the worst kind of intentions, and people for that matter, in the last decade or so, it's hard for me to feel sorry for the majority of the lot. I don't say that with any kind of spite or malice, it's just fansubbing lost its footing a while ago, and I lost all interest in being associated with them anymore. Perhaps I would feel differently if there were a little(lot) less blatant indignation towards the very medium everyone claims to love.

Edit:
As far as it wasting your money, my money etc.

Yeah, I am concerned about that as well. Of course I am. But you have to admit we are at an impasse insofar as what can and can't be done under current conditions.

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
How much have you "pirated" from online sources? Be honest. You've taken THOUSANDS of profit (I would be shocked if it was HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS).

Now, that poster was pretty "abrasive" as joshjoshlol politely put it (if I were a mod, I'd have been sorely tempted to slap him), but let's be real about this. Downloading copy of anime that, if sold off the shelves, would generate thousands of dollars for the IP holder is not the same thing as depriving the entity of thousands of actual dollars. If he was stealing crates of DVDs from a warehouse before they could be shipped to wholesalers, amazon, etc., that would be the same. However, there's no physical product being stolen in this scenario, and virtual losses are a lot harder to calculate (in my opinion, impossible). If this hypothetical guy didn't have access to those files, do you really think he would have bought many if any of the videos? If not, then he's not deprived the IP holder of one red cent. The only losses are those perceived by the various companies involved as they act on the believe that the property has been devalued by the unauthorized distribution.

I'm not trying to suggest that downloading is harmless to the entertainment industry, or even that the losses are entirely in the the executives' heads, just that it's not as cut and dried as a person helping himself to a five-fingered discount in the video store.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
In most cases where the law goes after copyright offenders, it's the distributors of the material they go after and not the downloaders or collectors.

It's rarely worthwhile going after the end user since they often go for the cheap or free alternative because they don't have much money to begin with. While a company might be able to sue for an amount, they're not going to get anything but bad word of mouth if the person has no money. And in many cases, especially with piracy, the end user may not know they're getting illegal material. So a company may go through all the expense of suing and even if they win may wind up loosing money from the process and gain only a bad reputation. A couple hundred unpaying lawsuits could bankrupt a small company. It's just not a smart movie.

Distributors are another matter. They're the ones that may be profiting from the material so they often have the money to pay. And shutting down distribution means automatically preventing the aquisition of illegal material. So it makes sense.

I expect this will be implemented for major motion picture and TV (I'm still surprised EZTV is still going) but I don't see it being used for anime mainly because many of the fansubbers are known to the industry yet they haven't taken action to stop it (aside from the occasional C&D). It would be too easy for anyone getting sued to use this in their defense.

This is also a probem that cannot be handled by domestic laws alone. It's an international problem and many violators use international servers. (EZTVs servers are in Italy.) Only once countries work together to eliminate copyright infringement will the problem be resolved.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Why do both parties go along with this? Hollywood spits in the face of Republicans and mock conservative values and yet the stupid Republicans always bend to the will of the MPAA and RIAA.
I blame Sonny Bono.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Why? Money.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure who came off as more of an asswipe- Honya or Gray.

I do think that fansubs cause a problem but I feel theres more good in them than evil. I do agree with those that said R1 has a way of twisting fansubs into the 'evil soul stealer i've got no food' type deal that many seem to fall for.

But I also can see where one might think fansubs are the problem with the industry. Right now America is in a slump. Will R1 turn around afterwords? Honestly I don't know.

With the way things are going out of their favor; such as not being able to broadcast or show a show until at least a year later, is what's killing them.

Price is an issue to some, and its not just because someone is cheap. DVDs are expensive, and in the end if you do buy from Ebay- well. We've been over this before...none of that money goes back to the company at all. All you have in the end is the dvd in your house, and the other person has some of their money back. Sure that person could buy more dvds but in the end if everyone buys from each other off Ebay you'll end up with a whole new problem.

Nothing will change until more companies go via CR or BOST. Or even make their own way of doing it. Their plan is no longer working, and it seems very few companies across the pond seem to get that.
More people want their anime fast/free (seemingly) than those who want it dubbed/later. (Both of those terms slashed together can be used interchangeably, or together in some cases)

But more to what I said before: this law won't do much. It's a nice thought, but if Youtube or some other video sharing site no longer can host videos people will move elsewhere. It's a never ending cycle, and the only thing that can stop it is CHANGE.

My name is Britannica Moore and I approve this message. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
joshjoshlol wrote:
This is, in and of itself, a horrid chain of thought. Project your reasoning elsewhere, and you can see it's the natural reaction of the market taking its due course... In the United States (and the entire world, I'm sure) gasoline saw a huge surge in price. A direct result was A.) less miles were driven during summer months (upwards of 18 billion, if my memory serves me correctly) and B.) large cars with poor gas mileage saw a decline in sales. Does this model sound familiar? A phantom price mark-up brought about the decline in purchasing of a good or service, and alternate routes were taken by the consumer to ensure their comfort (which is the highest importance in this whole debate, regardless of the sob stories and sad little violins being played by shills and planted forum goers) at the expense of a corrupted or unchanging corporation.

Gas saw a mark-up in price. So, under your chain of thoughts... people should have driven more? Gotten less fuel efficient cars? Dumped their money down the drain when better alternates were available? Because in your reasoning, that would have brought more gas to the US somehow, as if the market had more fluidity to it than it really does. No, it doesn't make any sense to think that way. They cater to us and our needs, or they themselves go down the drains.

I don't know how long you have been around, from the looks of it not very. But anime has been getting less and less expensive for almost the last decade. In fact I have no problem calling it cheap these days. Your analogy falls on its face.

23 years old, been watching anime since I was 10, and have been buying it almost just as long with birthday money and before long, money earned from my job. I know about the old marketing strategies... separate dub and sub releases on VHS, with subs at a price premium, etc. It's undeniable that there is more content per dollar nowadays on anime releases, but such is part and parcel with the relative ease of production with DVDs and their superior storage space versus quality degradation. It's also undeniable that there is an unsightly difference in prices between entire season DVD sets of television shows and anime DVDs, to the effect of numerous times the cost per episode, and the root of it is phantom mark-up. Gurren Lagann's sub-only DVD release was a good reversal of that trend, but for many it's seen as both a rarity and a sign of change that has come too little, too late.

Your assertion that anime is "cheaper" is anecdotal... the objective fact that cannot be masked or prettied up in any positive light is that we anime fans pay a huge premium for something that we shouldn't have to.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
But we should have to. We're consumers of a very niche product with a very small fanbase. This isn't something along the lines of LOST, which makes up far more than it costs just through advertisements alone. This is a foreign production whose domestic profit already relies solely on DVD/merchandise sales, being marketed to an overseas market that's, by and large, solely dependent on said DVD sales. By the very nature of the product, it's going to cost more than any American television series would. And anyone still claiming that DVDs are "prohibitively expensive" is just doing it wrong; when you can buy entire 26-episode series for something like $30, I think the industry has managed to figure things out.

(Also, until Japan can get their anime to me with a quality English dub included, anyone spouting nonsense like "who needs R1 anyway" can go suck an egg.)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
I think they were joshjoshlol and GaryPotter, you guys have to think about what you are saying here. Every person is entitled to their opinions, but you guys are drawing them way out of proportion. Oh, and it's attitudes like yours, GaryPotter, that makes us want to kill fansubs even more, because it's supporters of them like you who don't give a shit about what happens when one day, you won't be able to download because there's no anime being made. Lighten and grow up.
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But we should have to. We're consumers of a very niche product with a very small fanbase. This isn't something along the lines of LOST, which makes up far more than it costs just through advertisements alone. This is a foreign production whose domestic profit already relies solely on DVD/merchandise sales, being marketed to an overseas market that's, by and large, solely dependent on said DVD sales. By the very nature of the product, it's going to cost more than any American television series would. And anyone still claiming that DVDs are "prohibitively expensive" is just doing it wrong; when you can buy entire 26-episode series for something like $30, I think the industry has managed to figure things out.

(Also, until Japan can get their anime to me with a quality English dub included, anyone spouting nonsense like "who needs R1 anyway" can go suck an egg.)

Aside from the most mainstream shows I don't see entire series going for $30 very often unless they were released years ago and are being re-released. Also are mainstream anime that run on TV during the day in Japan really that dependent on DVD sales? I can't image most long-running Shonen series depending mostly on DVD sales in Japan.

Personally I think the anime industry will not be able to expand if it remains a collectors market in the US. There are lots of people who want to just watch something once and with the convenience of fansubs they don't see the need to go to the store and purchase a $20-30 DVD or order a DVD online and wait days to weeks for it to arrive.

The industry could cash in on these people if they offered ad-based streaming or download-to-own episodes soon after they air in Japan like GONZO's been doing.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
Cetus-kun wrote:
Aside from the most mainstream shows I don't see entire series going for $30 very often unless they were released years ago and are being re-released. Also are mainstream anime that run on TV during the day in Japan really that dependent on DVD sales? I can't image most long-running Shonen series depending mostly on DVD sales in Japan.

Long-running shounen series are the rather mainstream exception to the rather niche rule that is anime in Japan. Shows like One Piece and Naruto have the benefit of massive merchandise sales on top of whatever DVDs they may sell, but like all anime aired in Japan, the production company is the one footing the bill to get the series on TV; that's the cost that those DVDs and swag have to recoup. It's almost the exact opposite of the American television model, where networks pay production companies for series in exchange for the ad revenue they earn. That's why DVD/streaming sales are so much more critical for anime than for your average popular American TV series, which has already long since made up its production costs by the time it hits DVD; it's even more the case when you're talking about R1 series, since those don't normally have the benefit of a TV run to promote them.
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
You know, this site sucks anyway, so I don't even know why I'm here. But since I am...

It's the anime industry's fault that fansubs exist. Most of them don't see the value of the Western market, so they either keep their best titles in Japan, or release them at a snail's pace for too much money. But as soon as fans take matters into their own hands, only then do they seem to start caring. By caring, I mean they start moaning, complaining, and threatening legal action. And for what? They claim that the fansubs make them lose money. Well, guess what? Most of the shows that are fansubbed are titles that never were brought over anyway, so they were never making money on it to begin with. Their arguments are very deceptive and incredibly hypocritical.

Compare that to the US television industry. When a major show, say for example, ER or Prison Break is aired here, it's usually a matter of weeks before it's seen overseas. Why? Because the US companies understand that if they want to make money on it, they need to be the ones releasing it. They can't wait around and let it be released illegally, which is what happens with fansubs. Until the anime companies understand that, they will continue to lose money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7