• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - I, Robot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
The Japanese loved Twin Peaks and I've caught references to it in anime several times. For example, in Soul Eater, the whole thing with Soul and the demon is taken from Twin Peaks. Course, I guess most younger fans today wouldn't get it.

*shudders* Twin Peaks. There's just something too oogy about that show; I couldn't watch it as a kid and I don't know if I'd want to now (too many messed up dreams).

As for Casshern, I'm glad some people like it, but for me, there isn't Costco-size bottle of anti-depressants large enough to coax a second viewing from me.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Hmm, not quite. They didn't seem to defend the Rhine for long against the Germans that I can recall. And at least Wikipedia can somewhat back that up.

And it's hard to claim that they held so dearly to their colonies (to us Americans anyway) when they sold like a quarter of what is now the US for a pittance at the time.

Well, the French retreated from the invading German forces because they were massively outmanned, outgunned and outmanoeuvred, which is fair enough. More controversial is the French government's flight from Paris, but that's more a matter of symbolism than genuine failure of morale. I can't imagine the Senate and HoR, in case of invasion, fighting to the last man rather than desert the Capitol. As for the Vichy government.... well, you can't win them all! Wink

Re colonies, I assume you're referring to the Louisiana purchase? That was a strategic land deal from two centuries ago, which doesn't really affect my argument. I was thinking something along more contemporary lines, like Algeria. Oh, and VIETNAM.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote
Not the first series I've disagreed with Erin on, but that's quite all right.

I love Casshern Sins for the same reasons I love Soul Taker which is another love/hate creation by Tatsunoko: it's expressive.

The creators at Tatsunoko gave Casshern Sins everything they could to express itself. You are never removed from the sense of the time, place, and events of the show.

I love the way that Tatsunoko is wonderfully willing to break basic tenets of composition, color, pacing, and storytelling in order to put characters and character emotion front and center. This is why I'm always a little more willing to give a show a chance when I see that little seahorse.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
Um... did Tatsunoko do anything for Soul Eater except for in-between animation?

My wife can't look at Casshern Sins without wanting to vomit - something about "fish eye lenses" and "scratchy characters" and "OH GOD MY SOUL!!". I still feel like she's missing out on something beautiful, but if I have to make my house a one-man Casshern Sins love in, so be it.

Love the hell out of that show.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:04 am Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
Um... did Tatsunoko do anything for Soul Eater except for in-between animation?

Soul Taker not Soul Eater.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:07 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Nice to see a good review of Darker Than Black. My husband and I watched it on Netflix, then went out and bought it. Being from Gen X, we found it to be very reminiscent of David Lynch and Twin Peaks. So the whole weird, unexplained stuff didn't bother us at all.

The Japanese loved Twin Peaks and I've caught references to it in anime several times. For example, in Soul Eater, the whole thing with Soul and the demon is taken from Twin Peaks. Course, I guess most younger fans today wouldn't get it.

At least the animators have taste. Laughing
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:41 am Reply with quote
ranka wrote:
Wow. I can't get over the amount of hate Erin dishes out for Casshern Sins every time it pops up on Self Life. As if her past two "reviews" weren't awful enough, now ANN throws yet another pointless bashing of the Complete Collection our way?

-

If Casshern Sins wasn't Erin's cup of tea, fine. But how about she actually reviews something for once, instead of taking up 8 paragraphs how she thinks its boring crap?

TL;DR - WHY IS THIS REVIEW NOT OBJECTIVE?! Q_Q GIVE ME BACK MY OBJECTIVENESS AND NOT BIAS AND THUS A DESCRIPTION OF A SHOW RATHER THAN A REVIEW!

You are the sort of person who can and will ruin reviews.

And this comes from someone who disagrees about Erin's views on Black Jack.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:59 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
As for Darker Than Black, the first season is total awesome sauce. It is very heavy on dialogue, but when it gets to the action, it hits hard... ...As for the second, well, it is disappointing. First, Hei stops being sexy hero boy and becomes a bitter, unshaven drunk. And I have a total moecrush on Yin, and well, yeah. But the Russian chick is kinda hot, I guess?

That's a pretty good way to make a extremely brief review of the two. I wanted to make some comments about the second season in relation to the first season, but now that I see Erin is going to review Season Two next week, I'll wait until then. The Russian girl though, I don't know if I would call her hot, but I was taken enough by her to currently borrow her for my pic.

I do want to say that after watching the second season last week, I want to go back and rewatch the first season, doubly so after reading the review.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:

That's not the only David Lynch reference in Soul Eater, in the 2nd Excalibur-focused episode there is a passing shot of a street sign saying"Mulholland Dr.".

Anyway, I loved Darker than Black S1, haven't gotten around to watching S2 yet but I do have the LE boxset. Got the Hetalia movie too just haven't watched it yet either. I'm still on the fence about picking up Casshern or not.
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Casshern Sins starts slow, gets better in the middle then gets bad for the remainder, still managed to finish it.
I would watch Hetalia more if it was more of that guy who fears his wincest loving sister.
Darker than Black is ok but the 2nd season ends kind of like Casshern, some things don't make any sense but much less depressing.
Umino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I like the room because it looks clean and stylish. There are some that I've seen IRL and on the net that are just over the top with the amount of posters but this looks purdy. Nice collection!
partially

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Anthis wrote:
Kyon27-
I'd say Darker than Black left too many things unexplained. It was as if the creators did not really bother explaining things altogether. I couldn't really get immersed in the story because things just got pulled from thin air when required to spice things up.
I do agree with your comment on infodumps. Also allowed for a nice pace.

Megiddo-
I can imagine the lack of exposition in DTB is jarring when you're watching LOGH at the same time! What a contrast.

Really? Exposition was one of the primary problems I severely disliked LOGH—Am I the only one who disliked that show? Smile

My main problem was the show tried far too hard to be what it was, and particularly as you got through the first half cracks started to form. People's motivations no longer really made much sense, 'strategic' battle decisions weren't sound, the actions people took sometimes were gratingly silly etc, and this was all exacerbated by exposition that portrayed everything as absolutely wonderful and great. I could of accepted poor decisions etc if it was pounded into my head what great decisions they were!

Certainly my time was not wasted on the show, but in terms of recommendations I would actually go for Darker than Black.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I found Casshern Sins to be just beautiful in more ways than one, but I can understand why Erin found it boring and pretentious. It's not one I'd recommend to others, but I really enjoy it myself.

One good thing about the "flashbacks" in the Hetalia movie: it wound up making the film a great introduction to one of my friends, who had never seen the series before and just happened to be tagging along for the premiere at AWA with me. I enjoyed the refresher as well, to be honest... And the movie-original content was great.

Bloopers were still the best part, though!
Kakugo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Soul Taker not Soul Eater.

Wow. Dyslexic moment and a half there. Or maybe I just got lost with the Soul Eater discussions earlier in the thread?

Either way, yeah, Tatsunoko made the hell out of Soul Taker - sorry for the mix up. Smile
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
TL;DR - WHY IS THIS REVIEW NOT OBJECTIVE?! Q_Q GIVE ME BACK MY OBJECTIVENESS AND NOT BIAS AND THUS A DESCRIPTION OF A SHOW RATHER THAN A REVIEW!

You are the sort of person who can and will ruin reviews.

And this comes from someone who disagrees about Erin's views on Black Jack.

Except he's more or less right. If someone hates RPGs, you don't assign them the task of reviewing RPGs. Clear bias and hatred is why games like Godhand gets a 3/10 at IGN even when there's nothing really objectively wrong with a game. There is such a thing as "wrong reviewer for the wrong job" Look at all the hilariously misinformed and ignorant reviews for Hyperdimension Neptunia
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5