• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Central - Geneon License Announcements

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:04 pm Reply with quote
To which I am highly grateful... Saban did enough hacking and slashing to the stuff they did acquire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
Furthermore, Saban isn't even in the TV syndication business anymore; they sold that division off to ABC/Disney.

And the only people who attended the company's funeral were the priest and the corpse.

The priest then spat on the corpse and left without giving a eulogy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:13 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Actually, for your information, Geneon was simply their distributor for the DVDs, and they handled movies 1-3 (which were done bilingual and uncut). Blame Saban for cutting so much out of the dub that putting a subtitle track onn the DVDs would of been an impossibility.

Thank you. And as for those first 3 movies, that's the best dub you'll ever see of DBZ. Razz
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:37 am Reply with quote
to true I would prefer FUNi to of used the Ocean Group all the way through the series espically when they started releaseing it uncut very better set of actors in my opinion heck DB is one of the few series I only watched subbed. (Tenchi Muyo OVA is the other)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:20 am Reply with quote
Disney of Japan and Disney of America=separate corporate entitie! And I doubt Eisner would want to be associated with a cartoon that has topless female cyborgs, by distributing it. But he can still make a little cash on the side because he funded it, so it's a win-win.
Goshin

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:21 am Reply with quote
Kholdstare wrote:
Does anyone else find it odd that Geneon licensed the Saiyuki sequel when ADV has its predecessor?

Also, they stated, that they are unable to confirm whether or not the original VA’s would be cast from the original. According to them it would be nice to get them for the production, but so far it seems unlikely.
Poppycock

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:46 am Reply with quote
LuckyAstei wrote:
to true I would prefer FUNi to of used the Ocean Group all the way through the series espically when they started releaseing it uncut very better set of actors in my opinion heck DB is one of the few series I only watched subbed. (Tenchi Muyo OVA is the other)

i wouldnt say that. i know someone who lives in Canada and they get Ocean Group almost all the way into the whole series, and he says most of the voice acting ocean used in Dragonball Z actually sucks as much as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
rage-demon

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:26 am Reply with quote
Damn, it kinda sucks that Geneon got Saiyuki Reloaded. I really liked the voice actors on the dubbed version. If Geneon could get the same voice actors then i'd be happy, but since that seems unlikely all i can do is hope.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:14 pm Reply with quote
LuckyAstei wrote:

They couldn't afford Ocean. Were talking about a company that was trying scrape up money to get the DBZ licnese by doing Chuck E. Cheese videos and elementary educational films and depending on what royalties they could get from Pioneers' DBZ distributions. I'm sure after getting the license away from Saban and self-distribution rights seperate from Pioneer, AND having to pay for production expences they had very little left to spend on voice actors. In the end going inhouse was probably the most cost effective thing they could do and in the long run it's really payed off being able to depend on themselves for their VA needs.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:40 am Reply with quote
goshin23 wrote:

Also, they stated, that they are unable to confirm whether or not the original VA’s would be cast from the original.

No. They specifically stated that the original English cast will not be used; this was then confirmed by at least one of the members of the original cast. At the later ADV panel, when I asked for comments on all of this, it was implied that Geneon had an option on Reload as it contributed financially to the production, and chose to exercise it.

DLW's exact words were, "Look at the credits on later episodes."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Goshin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:22 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:

No. They specifically stated that the original English cast will not be used;
Yes, you are right about that. Please excuse me on that note. Next time, I’ll write things down.
Embarassed
Quote:
At the later ADV panel, when I asked for comments on all of this, it was implied that Geneon had an option on Reload as it contributed financially to the production, and chose to exercise it.

DLW's exact words were, "Look at the credits on later episodes."
I remember them saying something about those credits. And I was wondering on what he meant by that. Thanks for clearing that up.

Now, from one ACEN convention goer to another, I wanted to get your thoughts on some of their titles they have licensed over seas. Mr. Chu was a little shaky on naming titles that they have licenses for, and some may not be suitable for a U.S. release, which is understandable.

One title in particular, was Tenjou Tenge. Another, (mentioned by a fan) was Maria-sama ga Miteru. (Which is funny, I don’t remember seeing a Geneon logo at the end of the credits, so I think that’s un-confirmed) Anyways as for my question, given your experience at these panels, do you think we would see a U.S. release on such titles? If so, when could we get a hint of information about their licensing issues? I’ve noticed that they love to give hints, or neither confirm nor deny things.

I would really like to see Tenjou Tenge, and if it is true that Geneon holds Maria-sama; I think that would be a nice acquisition.

Just wanted to get your opinion on the matter. Cool

Last edited by Goshin on Tue May 18, 2004 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Actually, for your information, Geneon was simply their distributor for the DVDs, and they handled movies 1-3 (which were done bilingual and uncut). Blame Saban for cutting so much out of the dub that putting a subtitle track onn the DVDs would of been an impossibility.

Thank you. And as for those first 3 movies, that's the best dub you'll ever see of DBZ. Razz

AMEN. =P

Oh. And on the side note, I'm quite glad Geneon got the liscense. I've gotten nothing but quality from their DVD releases, and I have come to expect the same. Y'know, now, it's hard for me to find the urge to buy something not distributed by Geneon. =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:08 pm Reply with quote
goshin23 wrote:
Maria-sama ga Miteru. (Which is funny, I don’t remember seeing a Geneon logo at the end of the credits, so I think that’s un-confirmed)

During the "This program is brought to you by ______." screen, it does indeed say Geneon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:49 am Reply with quote
[quote="goshin23

Now, from one ACEN convention goer to another, I wanted to get your thoughts on some of their titles they have licensed over seas. Mr. Chu was a little shaky on naming titles that they have licenses for, and some may not be suitable for a U.S. release, which is understandable.
[/quote]

My *personal* understanding - as a fan, not as a representative of ANN or any other entity - is that Geneon has an option or right of first refusal on the Rondo Robe titles. Which, also, does not mean that *all* of those titles will automatically be picked up for U.S. distribution by Geneon (e.g.: GetBackers, Puchi Puri Yucie, Peacemaker). Nor does it mean that those titles are automatically due for U.S. release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:30 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
The important thing is that Tsukihime is licensed, and hopefully Bang Zoom! Entertainment is going to dub it (though New Generation Pictures is actually not that bad Wink ).

I'm curious about one thing . . .Who will be the cast?Me I wouldn't mind Mona Marshall doing the voice of Arcueid . . .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3