• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What do you think is the best Anime that you have seen?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naiera

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:00 am Reply with quote
I'm lame, so I'm going to say Neon Genesis Evangelion Rolling Eyes

I haven't been into this stuff for very long, but I have seen more than a few series and a lot of the "big" movies. I don't do fansubs any longer, so I guess I'll be "slow" compared to people here, who I've gathered are mostly fansubbers? I guess I'll see over the next couple of weeks...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Naiera wrote:
I don't do fansubs any longer, so I guess I'll be "slow" compared to people here, who I've gathered are mostly fansubbers? I guess I'll see over the next couple of weeks...

Hey, don't worry. I don't really download fansubs either, although, I have downloaded one episode of Gundam SEED when I missed the 2nd episode waaay back when it was still new on Cartoon Network.

I usually watch whatever's on TV or what's in my DVD collection. I've seen Samurai Champloo and Inu Yasha fansubs, but it was my friend who actually acquired them, so if you consider that criminal, then I guess I'm guilty. Razz

I hear of a lot of good shows, but for some reason, I can never bring myself to download them. I don't know why, maybe it's a subconcious moral thing. That, or I'm really, really lazy. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop (or both...)
MissMiyouko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:29 am Reply with quote
there's soooo many to choose from. Confused most of them are really good. Laughing hmm...i have to say that my all time favorite is full moon wo sagashite. bleh besides the really really really lame ending! Mad Sad Anime cry but yea it's good. and other animes! Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bun^ny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Right! Full Moon wo Sagashite is really good! I like that too and I have it also on Dvd. Its so cute but when I watch it over and over again, I kinda get sick watching it no more.. hehehe! Well, nevertheless, its still one of my favourites though... hehehe! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hatsuharox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
well i think if i had to choose it would have to be goldenboy because kintaro oe is just so d funny and i like funny anime so thats what think has anyone seen it
bun^ny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:38 am Reply with quote
If you like funny animations, try watching GTO. Its really really funny and I guarantee you'll like it too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bun^ny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Have you guys watched Kyou KAra Maou? I love it and it became one of my best animation series too! Its a fantasy show and its funny too.. that's all... Laughing
Baka...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Well myself i haven't actually seen very much anime because i only started collecting the series themselves when i was 13 with a 20 dollar a month allowance. So far I own

BubbleGumCrisis 2040 - Actuall excellent series first one i bought found myself happy till the end

Neon Genesis Evangelion- Excellent series, good psychological twists. Something to think about. I had to watch the ending a few times over to understand but its all good.

Rouroni Kenshin- I myslef am sorta confused right now. I bought the Boxsets from Deepdiscountdvd. Im not sure if thats TV or what (If anyone could help what is an OVA). From what I've seen this is definetly my favorite, you find yourself attached to the characters plus wicked battle scenes. Im just trying to find out whats next after the last episode of the mejii if theres anything. Or maybe something before
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:21 am Reply with quote
Baka... wrote:
Rouroni Kenshin- I myslef am sorta confused right now. I bought the Boxsets from Deepdiscountdvd. Im not sure if thats TV or what (If anyone could help what is an OVA). From what I've seen this is definetly my favorite, you find yourself attached to the characters plus wicked battle scenes. Im just trying to find out whats next after the last episode of the mejii if theres anything. Or maybe something before

There are 3 box sets for the TV series:

"Wandering Samurai"
"Legends of Kyoto"
"Tales of the Meiji" (of which all is filler)

An OVA (or OAV, whatever you prefer) stands for "Original Video Animation" (same thing for OAV, but switched around). Basically, these are animated features that go straight to home video or DVD (in Japan). They usually serve as a prequel or sequal to an already existing TV series, and also (usually) have higher production budgets.

A few advantages inculde better animation, shorter lengths (sometimes 1 to as many as 13 episodes), and less standards in terms of content (in other words, more violence and/or nudity).

In the case of Kenshin, there are 2 OAV series in existence; Tsuioku-hen (a true masterpeice) and Seisouhen (uttered my some as a peice of crap).

Tsuioku-hen is the story of Kenshin's past as Hitokiri Battousai and how he became the cold-blooded killer he used to be until he acquired that cross-shaped scar. I'm glad you've seen the TV series first, and I know you'll enjoy the first OAV tremendously.

It's actually a prequel to his life in the TV series, but in the manga it actually unfolds as one big flashback after this battle against Shishio in Kyoto.

I always recommend people watch the TV series to the end of Kyoto and then view the first OAV, but I will save that discussion for another time.

The second OAV is not that great, assuming you know what really happened in the manga, so I won't even mention something not worth praising (though the animation and music values for that OAV are excellent).

And finally, if you haven't already, also check out the movie. I'd recommend this after Kyoto and before Tsuioku-hen. It has nothing to do with the overall continuity, but I still feel it's a decent movie.
Baka...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:40 am Reply with quote
Allright about Tsuioku-hen. What would be the place to buy it. And about the rouroni kenshin movie? Where can i find that too.
I was actually planning before to buy samurai X first. But hey what can you do.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:40 am Reply with quote
Baka... wrote:
Allright about Tsuioku-hen. What would be the place to buy it. And about the rouroni kenshin movie? Where can i find that too.
I was actually planning before to buy samurai X first. But hey what can you do.

"Samurai X" IS Rurouni Kenshin. ADV actually licensed the OAV before the TV series ever came to North America.

Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku-hen = "Samurai X: Trust & Betrayl"

Rurouni Kenshin: Seisouhen = "Samurai X: Reflections"

Rurouni Kenshin: Ishin Shishi no Requiem = "Samurai X: The Motion Picture"

They are very lame alternative titles considering Kenshin isn't even a samurai, but ADV thought the name sounded "cooler" and that it would appeal to more customers who saw the word "Samurai" ...

At any rate, seeing as how you've ordered the TV series box sets from Deep Discount DVD, you can also get the OAV box set and movie from them.

Aside from the super ugly "Samurai X" logo on the OAV box, each case (for the OAVs and movie) all have reversible covers that actually say "Rurouni Kenshin" on the other side.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
They are very lame alternative titles considering Kenshin isn't even a samurai, but ADV thought the name sounded "cooler" and that it would appeal to more customers who saw the word "Samurai" ...

Actually, it was Sony that requested that licensors use the Samurai X title.

Not sure how/why Media Blasters was exempt...

-t
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:13 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Ugh. First I heard it was Sony, then I hear it was ADV, now I hear it's Sony again. Which is it? By the way, Nagisa told me it was ADV, so if you're reading this, Nagi, feel free to make your argument.
Baka...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
tempest wrote:

Ugh. First I heard it was Sony, then I hear it was ADV, now I hear it's Sony again. Which is it? By the way, Nagisa told me it was ADV, so if you're reading this, Nagi, feel free to make your argument.

I think i might have something to say hear from what I've seen/heard. The Samurai X is done by Adv theres a million previews on NeonGenesisEvangelion but thats from way back.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Baka... wrote:
I think i might have something to say hear from what I've seen/heard. The Samurai X is done by Adv theres a million previews on NeonGenesisEvangelion but thats from way back.

Well, the whole Sony-ADV thing was actually a joint effort in licensing the title over from Japan. I don't know the details, but I think Sony offered the rights to the anime, and apparently told them (ADV) to use the title "Samurai X" for a possible marketing idea in getting more Americans to pay attention.

But yes, if you ever see the name "Samurai X," just remember it's actually Rurouni Kenshin.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 26