• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A veiw of American fans from Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomcat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:23 pm Reply with quote
At The Japan Times Onlne site today in news features is This story " Anti-Disney style of manga and anime appeals to Americans" @ www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nn20041210f4.htm in this a interview with John Ledford from A.D. Vision Inc.
I haven't read through this very deeply but it seems to be a light over-view of what's now happening now in the U.S.A with anime and manga.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I was amazed to see that ADV makes such a small amount:
Quote:
More recently, Ledford's A.D. Vision Inc. has been taking part in funding for anime. His film unit now records $150 million in annual sales

I would have assumed that this number had to be at least 4x larger.

And the industry in the US:
Quote:
Pokemon" alone earned about 3 trillion yen* around the world, and the U.S. anime business, including licensed character goods and box-office revenue, is estimated at $4 billion a year, according to the Japanese government

* That is something near $28,514,399,771.88 ($1US = 105.21Y)

Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Eh, it's just another article that's overstating the domestic popularity of the non-Pokémon/YuGiOh-type merchandising franchise anime. The market for the sort of anime the article is about is still niche, a larger niche than in the old days but still small compared to the market for The Incredibles, Shrek, or Spongebob Squarepants.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Isn't John Ledford the publisher of Newtype USA?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Isn't John Ledford the publisher of Newtype USA?

He is the President, CEO, and Founder of A.D. Vision, Inc., publisher of NewType USA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I agree. Yeah, DBZ, Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, Digimon are extremely popular, but that means nothing. Even stuff like what's on Adult Swim, while extremely popular by anime standards still isnt *that* well known in the long run. Anime in general is still pretty much unknown.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:34 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Anime in general is still pretty much unknown.
and thats something that just makes it better (imo) Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Sure. But that becomes a problem for someone like me, who is the only one in a wide area who knows anything about it, thus being unable to find anyone to go to cons with.
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:39 pm Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Anime in general is still pretty much unknown.
and thats something that just makes it better (imo) Smile

Why? So you can feel all special and knowledgable about your magical little hobby that no one else knows about? Come on, anime is getting more mainstream every day- we should be past this "I liked it when it was underground" mentality. I'm more happy if anime is more well known, so people who may not have known about the great art and entertainment it can provide can also enjoy it. Plus, the more popular it is, the more releases and merchandise we can get over on this side of the ocean.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm not saying that I don't want it to get bigger. it would be good (as you said), because it would be more accesible, and more people would be able to enjoy it.
but I do like the fact that its "underground" right now

...heh, maybe I just like anime no matter what
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Actually, going more mainstream can be a very bad thing. Just compare hip hop from 1993 with the mainstream hip hop from 2003. Its been almost completely bastardized into substanceless glop. The good news is that anime/manga is licensed from Japan, so its harder for greedy US corporations to contaminate it. So it going more mainstream will probably only reap more benefits for fans.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:56 am Reply with quote
I think people confuse "niche" and "underground".

"Underground" would mean that you'd have to hunt far and wide to find even just a little of it at really specialized stores that pretty much only people in the know knew about. Anime hasn't been "underground" since the days when you could only get it at select comic book stores, and that era was over the best part of a decade ago now.

These days, you can get bilingual anime almost anywhere that sells DVDs and a handful of non-kiddy shows are reasonably successful on programming blocks on Cartoon Network and TechTV, by late-evening cable standards with certain key demographics.

"Niche" means there's enough of a market for it to be stocked at mainstream stores, but that only a small percentage of people are actually into it. "Underground" would be more like only a fraction of one percent, or a statistically negligible number of people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SwordsmanYen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:05 am Reply with quote
you should try living over here in the UK, where people call anime manga which really pisses me off, and the only way to watch it on TV is late nite on cable. luckly thou it does seem to be getting more of a mainstream fan base nowadaze. which is nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
snagga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:36 am Reply with quote
I would agree with the statement in the first post that the reason anime appeals to those who have discovered it is because there are so many different types, something for everyone not just the usual sacharine sweet offerings from the US (animaniacs not included). However living in UK trying to get anything other than the most popular series is next to impossible, fooly cooly caused many vacant looks in the 3 stores in edinburgh that stock any anime.
SwordsmanYen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:07 am Reply with quote
lol, fooly cooly itself caused many vacant looks from my friends that i showed it too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3