• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Central: ADV Panel Report

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In terms of number of titles it releases, ADV is the fourth largest home video distributor in North America (after MGM, Warner, and Sony).

Let me just respond to this with a "Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn". I was completely unaware of this. Does that mean they're beating Disney, or is Disney somewhere in those 3? *MGM maybe?*
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Scrapped Princess is licensed? That's news to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Scrapped Princess is licensed? That's news to me.

At least it wasn't NuTech. Laughing
yoh

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Actually Disney I thought wasn't the "distributor" of their material. They go through their distribution company Buena Vista Home entertainment. I think I might be wrong though...
Justin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:29 pm Reply with quote
yoh wrote:
Actually Disney I thought wasn't the "distributor" of their material. They go through their distribution company Buena Vista Home entertainment. I think I might be wrong though...

I believe now they have Disney DVD (and video). They own Buena Vista Home Entertainment. Remember the Spirited Away with the red tint? That was distributed by Buena Vista.

I'm just glad Fumoffu is being liscensed. I remember reading an article somewhere (ANN?) where someone was talking about it never being liscensed because it is not like Full Metal Panic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Right, there was something from Ms. Answerman in regard to that. The thing is, there is still an audience for the anime as it does share enough similarities with the manga version. Considering it's been selling well enough in print, they should have no problems selling this one off. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
drakenfire87

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Ok.. slightly related to ADV. But not really, its more of a brooding question that I need answered.

Trigun is owned by ADV, right? (so ends the similarities, if its even that.)

When are they going to release the rest of the Trigun Manga issues... as far as I know they've only released 1 and 2. Which doesn't complete the series. Yet, Trigun Maximum is going to be released this Wednesday (May 19, 2004)

*SIGH* Crying or Very sad

WHEN WILL THE REST COME!!!!

not to mention.... when will Final Fantasy Advent Children come!

And Neon Genesis the PS2 game!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:06 pm Reply with quote
drakenfire87 wrote:
Ok.. slightly related to ADV. But not really, its more of a brooding question that I need answered.

Trigun is owned by ADV, right? (so ends the similarities, if its even that.)

When are they going to release the rest of the Trigun Manga issues... as far as I know they've only released 1 and 2. Which doesn't complete the series. Yet, Trigun Maximum is going to be released this Wednesday (May 19, 2004)

Pioneer/Genon owns the anime, darkhorse owns the manga.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:39 pm Reply with quote
drakenfire87 wrote:

Trigun Maximum is the continuation of Trigun. There were some licensing issues or something, so when they switched publishers, the name had to be changed...hence the name Trigun Maximum.
drakenfire87

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Gotcha... but I heard of Trigun Maximum a few years ago... whatever... I JUST WANT MY MANGA!

Sorry for interupting your discussion with my off topic question.

Cool
nagashi

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:04 pm Reply with quote
yay!! out with the quality fansubs and in with the commercial dvds and all their errors!

seriously, the last fmp volume I bought from adv (vol 4 I think) had grammatical and spelling errors in the subs. sigh.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:30 pm Reply with quote
nagashi wrote:
seriously, the last fmp volume I bought from adv (vol 4 I think) had grammatical and spelling errors in the subs. sigh.....

According to the encyc, Joey Goubeaud and Neil O'Sullivan were credited with FMP! editing. Have you noticed those problems on any other ADV discs? That kind of quality control is shameful, and if this is part of a trend, It'd be good to know.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I noticed at least one grammatical error on the first episode of Kaleido Star as well. It's a common mistake, (that even I make occasionally) but you shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition. Smile

Mind you, this does not mean fansubbers are any better, but I do expect better from the industry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
you shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition. :)

Eh, that's more about good form than any "rule." If you have a fairly long sentence, it doesn't read too well to have the preposition a long way from its object. But there's really nothing wrong with doing it.

(Churchill: "That is the kind of thing up with which I will not put.")
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:37 pm Reply with quote
That reads quite awkwardly. Actually I think the reason I take issue with it is because it was drilled into me repeatedly by teachers and my parents not to do so. Smile

Unfortunately, this has led me to be a bit more picky in my writing and given me certain pet peeves. I also do notice the subs when they are incorrect, but I am less apt to complain about it publically.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2