• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Anime DVD Sales Drop 13.5%, Partly Due to BD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:58 am Reply with quote
Hmph, I would have thought that the Japanese BD sales would have been MUCH higher for the companies to switch over the pure-BD releases... But I see that the TOTAL BD sales is still only 1.6% of the market (same as the US and the rest of the world), and of that, anime accounted for 0.32% of the market... man that is LOW..

I would have expected at LEAST a double-digit market share for BD at this point by now if it really "won" the war...
DarkMirage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:22 am Reply with quote
There's no need to be bitter. Blu-Ray did win the HD war, but the war was being fought over nothing. Most people don't see the point in switching over to HD formats in the first place.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:55 am Reply with quote
I read that by 2010 the BD acceptance in the world should be around 20%.
calimike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:17 am Reply with quote
Why can't Funimaton and Bandi to replace DVD for BD?
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
I would have expected at LEAST a double-digit market share for BD at this point by now if it really "won" the war...

Unlike the US where it's normal to see double-releases, many companies in Japan haven't made the switch yet.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
calimike wrote:
Why can't Funimaton and Bandi to replace DVD for BD?
Cause 95% don't have BD players. (myself included)
That said, I'm also quite surprised by these statistics. I'm sure had Eva 1.0 been on BD, the numbers would have been higher Wink
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Japanese Anime DVD Sales Drop 13.5%, Partly Due to BD

Well, the article is hard for me to be sure, but I think it's saying the "Partly due to BD" is no more than 0.33% or so. In which case it seems like we could remove some of the ambiguity by simply saying...
ANN wrote:
Japanese Anime DVD Sales Drop 13.2%

And leaving off the BD part since the general trend is clearly downward, regardless of the BD component.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
So, youtube isn't the problem for once?

I figured this would become an issue very soon. The whole HD thing just seems unneccessary.

Jeez, I just noticed their price differences between BD and DVD make their BD's sound more affordable than ours. I wonder how many episodes they fit on each though.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote
Amongst this doom and gloom, I'm happy to see that Innocence made its way into that top 10 list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
So, youtube isn't the problem for once? I figured this would become an issue very soon. The whole HD thing just seems unneccessary. Jeez, I just noticed their price differences between BD and DVD make their BD's sound more affordable than ours. I wonder how many episodes they fit on each though.

1. I really like your avatar, top notch. Wink

2. Do fansubbers really use Youtube? I've always heard them bash it. I've also wondered why the publishers couldn't come up with some sort of auto-reporting system that just constantly sent notices to youtube demanding they take down anything that sounded copyrighted.

3. I've bashed HD/BD prices since day one, but I still think they're a nice step up. Even on my tiny TV. So, when HD-DVD movies fell to $3.99 per disc I was all over it. I just wish BD would fail as well so I can pick up most of their movies for the same price. And then maybe we could have some new cheap-from-the-start format that would replace DVD with $5-10 high-def discs. Oh well, I can dream can't I? Mr. Green

4. Japanese prices are *always* higher in my experience. In fact I cannot think of a single title that sold for less in R2 than in R1. Even when you think they're getting close it's usually an issue of episodes per disc or the shipping and JCT wreak the equation.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Hmph, I would have thought that the Japanese BD sales would have been MUCH higher for the companies to switch over the pure-BD releases... But I see that the TOTAL BD sales is still only 1.6% of the market (same as the US and the rest of the world), and of that, anime accounted for 0.32% of the market... man that is LOW..

I don't see why you'd think that... These little increases seem to be in line with industry forecasts. BD isn't going to take over overnight... It'll take a couple of years. It should really take off once BD players are as cheap to manufacture as current DVD players. Then all hardware manufacturers will end DVD player production and go exclusively to BD. It's no sweat off their brow since BD players play and upscale DVDs anyway... So by then you'll only find BD player products on store shelves and included with PCs. By then people will have no choice but to go with BD, which isn't bad anyway since it'll be the same price as DVDs. Then inevitably BD movie prices will be coming down and priced the same as DVD with DVD prices frozen. So customers will decide that if they're spending the same money on DVD as BD they might as well go with BD. And since many will still be sticking with DVD they're more than enough happy to pay the current prices for new releases, but it'll feel odd for them to pay the same for DVD while others pay the same for superior BD. So they'll think about adopting it sometime too. Eventually companies will force more BD adoption by only releasing special boxsets or features on BD or inevitably new releases will only be on BD. However all this isn't going to happen for a while yet. The first step is getting the hardware prices and manufacturing of players down. BD only won the war with HD-DVD and sales and adoption have gone up. Now it has to step up its war on DVD.
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
I can't say I'm surprised, given the MASSIVE jump in quality from DVD to BD for anime (MUCH more noticeable than for live action footage). See Patlabor's and Gunbuster's remasters. And those are compared to excellent DVD masters, not the dodgy masters that often get released (Mangle Ent, I'm looking at you here).
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
I can't say I'm surprised, given the MASSIVE jump in quality from DVD to BD for anime (MUCH more noticeable than for live action footage). See Patlabor's and Gunbuster's remasters. And those are compared to excellent DVD masters, not the dodgy masters that often get released (Mangle Ent, I'm looking at you here).

I can't say I can see a difference between the upscaled and the 1080p version of the Gunbuster picture - and that's the exact reason I'm not so excited about BD. I mean, I still watch VHS tapes and don't give a damn about the quality.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the price of BD players is the key thing for everyone. I got 50 free BD discs when I brought my HD TV, but I have a HD DVD player because it was cheap... I still have not seen any BD players at realistic prices yet, and it looks like a LOT of people are selling their used (and broken) BD players too. I keep hearing "they are coming out with cheap BD players", but I have yet to see one make it to market... they are all held up for some reason... and about 1/2 of the models "on the market" are permanently "sold out" - nobody has labled them as "discontinued", but you cannot get them anymore at all - and the mfgs are not shipping those models anymore. Something quirky is going on there with BD...
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
edzieba wrote:

I can't say I can see a difference between the upscaled and the 1080p version of the Gunbuster picture - and that's the exact reason I'm not so excited about BD. I mean, I still watch VHS tapes and don't give a damn about the quality.

Are you using a HD TV for viewing?

More curious than anything... I use a region free upconverting DVD player to watch my anime, so it almost all looks like it was in HD from the start...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2