• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Universal Defender

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taiyz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
Personally Trine reminds me of Blizzard's The Lost Vikings; a series in dire need of a comeback.

I'm definitely eager to get my co-op on in that next week (though I already bought the CE on the PC, XBL lends itself better to co-op.) The first game, which I only played a bit of in co-op since it was local-only (something that was infinitely more difficult to set up on the PC) proved that the game actually gets HARDER with the addition of extra players.

The point of Trine is that all three characters are joined together by the artifact...You're moving them all at once. But in co-op, more similar to TLV, each character needs to get through the environment, and can't always make it by themselves.

It's already cool in single-player, having to use specific tools to complete certain challenges, but it's even cooler in multiplayer when each person only has their limited array of tools and have to deal with the unpredictability of player coordination.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote
As long as they keep Kojima away from the script Rising could end of being the best thing to happen to Metal Gear in awhile.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
The Miyamoto Uproar: This is why reading comprehension is lost on most people.

Quote:
The rest of the game will be a black screen and farting noises

Todd seriously, what is wrong with you?

Vita: Currently, I'm only interested in Tales of Innocence R, which we can hopefully get over here.

Agarest War 2: Glad they decided to localize this. I was worried they wouldn't (which would have made no sense). Meu as a DLC is pretty nifty, though once again I ask why not Hillo? I guess Hillo is too old school Spectral for most people these days.

Quote:
While the game is blessedly free of scenes where raptors are defeated by the power of teenage gymnastics

My brother hated that part of the second movie so much. Lol, when I think back to it, that was one of the dumbest scenes if only because the timing was off.

Sonic CD: The U.S. version's opening song wasn't that bad. I'm surprised there are actually people still being weeaboos about that. I never played the game though, but I know it made waves when it was released. There was so much discussion about the time traveling thing.

Voltron: Hey sweet, you reviewed it! I was hoping for a longer one but glad you put it up anyway.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
For all the packaging, Agarest War was actually very tame.
Agarest Zero was a better game I thought (heck, you could actually replay all the boss battles and cutscenes from Agarest War from Agarest Zero).

To me, it is a very addictive turn based combat simulation that I have put TONS of hours into.

Glad to hear that the two have apparently sold well enough to put me on the hook for more, but at the same time frightened to know how many of my future hours have just been claimed.

Full disclosure: I am using the mousepad from the first game, the character (Vira) was one of my least favorites, but as a mousepad with wrist support, it actually performs the job well.
NeoMaster1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:59 am Reply with quote
Since I haven't seen it said in this week's column or in the talkback so far, I have to mention something about Sonic CD (and yes, I guess you could say I'm one of those crazy Sonic fans Laughing ).

I think Todd may have mentioned this in an earlier column, but this release of Sonic CD is a complete remake of the game with a modern 2D/3D engine called the Retro Engine. There is absolutely no emulation involved, so if you've been scared off by the terrible quality of Sega's previous Sonic ports, you might want to take a second look at this release.

I've played both the original Sega/Mega CD version and the PC version of Sonic CD and this is by far the best version of the game released so far. The enhancements that will jump out at you first are the addition of Tails (of course) and the native widescreen support, both of which feel fully-baked and not just tacked on at the last minute. However, there are a lot of small tweaks and additions that just add up to a great experience and fix a lot of the annoyances found in previous versions (actual music loops, constant 60 fps, etc).

Anyway, the reason why retro Sonic fans are foaming at the mouth over this (other than the obvious rampant insanity within the fanbase Razz ) is that Christian Whitehead (aka 'The Taxman'), a member of the Sonic community, was a major force behind the remake and is the sole programmer of the above-mentioned Retro Engine that powers the game. The idea that Sega would actually recruit a fan and license his technology in an official capacity was pretty surprising in itself, and based on the reactions to the remake so far, it looks like Sega's gamble will pay off in spades.

Note: For the curious, both the US and the JPN/EUR soundtracks are included, but the vocals have been removed from the OP/ED in the JPN/EUR soundtrack due to rights issues. It's a shame, those lyrics were a bundle of Engrishy fun!

(Sorry for the wall of text, but I feel it had to be said!)
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote
NeoMaster1 wrote:
(Sorry for the wall of text, but I feel it had to be said!)

A real wall of text wouldn't have paragraph breaks!

Very informative. Thanks for posting it. Was never much of a Sonic fan since I had a Super Famicom in the 16-bit days.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I suppose "Revengeance" is actually a reference to Metal Gear's first spinoff "Snake's Revenge" which wasn't directed by Kojima.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
'Nico Nico Douga' is listed in the PS Vita launch-game list, but presumably that's just (hopefully free!) access to the video service?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1