• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Winter 2012 Anime Spotlight

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
I guess these "enjoyable otaku shows", as you phrased it, send people running to buy the American stuff. Gee. I wonder why? [/sarcasm]

By the same token, you don't see many 'non otaku' aimed animes on that list either. Tiger and Bunny is probably the sole exception (AnoHana had plenty of otaku pandering elements).

So yeah, enjoyable otaku shows still do better than a lot of other stuff.

Even Tiger and Bunny is aimed at otaku... just the female type. Only the diehard anime fans are going to be paying 90 bucks for 3 episodes.

Plus stuff like Rapunzel and Cars only sold for 30-40 dollars since they are aimed at the casuals, so I wouldn't take their higher sales to mean much.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Even Tiger and Bunny is aimed at otaku... just the female type.

Speaking of which, the winter season has 3 shows aimed squarely at fujoshi (Brave 10, Inuboku, Natsume 4)

And interestingly there's only 1 really ecchi show (Highschool DxD) with perhaps I'm your father being another .. yet people complain about how the seasons are all filled with them
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
There may be several good or at least original shows this season.

thaivuN wrote:
If Father is anything like the manga adaptation, you'll see spoiler[bathtub scenes and "dude falling on his nieces" jokes ]
Then the fans and the producers can all go screw themselves.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Speaking of which, the winter season has 3 shows aimed squarely at fujoshi (Brave 10, Inuboku, Natsume 4)

I'm surprised anyone can say Natsume is aimed at fujoshi....... You obviously have never seen the series.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
configspace wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I'm surprised anyone can say Natsume is aimed at fujoshi....... You obviously have never seen the series.

Actually, it totally is. Any fujoshi anime has many more DVD sales (for whatever reason, women in Japan aren't into BDs), and Natsume is very DVD heavy with its sales. Thats the #1 way to see which gender something is aimed at.

Male Otaku stuff (like Madoka and Infinite Stratos) is typically like 80-90% BD while Natsumes 3rd season was 40-50% BD
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, one could argue that any anime focusing on a handsome young man is aimed at fujoshi.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
aimed at fujoshi and aimed at girls is quite a difference though.

Tiger & Bunny was aimed at a mainstream audience. Sure, it is popular with Fujoshi, but so are Naruto and One Piece.
amagee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Male Otaku stuff (like Madoka and Infinite Stratos) is typically like 80-90% BD while Natsumes 3rd season was 40-50% BD

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't call Madoka "otaku stuff" though Infinite Stratos oozes otaku goo.

I find the BD vs DVD - Male vs. Female purchasing trends to be surprising.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't call Madoka "otaku stuff"

How are cutesy underaged magic girls not 'otaku stuff'? The marketing and merchandise are also all otaku aimed.

That said, it's hardly a bad thing. Some people seem to throw around the term "otaku aimed" like it's some sort of insult and that some how by boycotting such shows they are better than everyone else.

Well if liking shows with reused ideas, 'moe', and fanservice makes me inferior, oh well. At least I'm having loads of fun Very Happy
amagee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
amagee wrote:
Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't call Madoka "otaku stuff"

How are cutesy underaged magic girls not 'otaku stuff'? The marketing and merchandise are also all otaku aimed.

That said, it's hardly a bad thing. Some people seem to throw around the term "otaku aimed" like it's some sort of insult and that some how by boycotting such shows they are better than everyone else.

Well if liking shows with reused ideas, 'moe', and fanservice makes me inferior, oh well. At least I'm having loads of fun Very Happy

The fact that Madoka was an artsy, darker take on a typically stupid genre (I'm not a magical girl fan on almost every other occasion) would make me separate it from typical "otaku aimed" fair. I would see it as rather a kind of physical manifestation of a commentary on how these typically inane shows can really have depth, proper emotional impact, and impeccable art when well thought out and carefully produced.

You make a fair point, though, that the term, "otaku aimed", does probably have a more harsh connotation than it should in this particular case of me using it as a reaction to your response. I tend to lean away from the use of "otaku" as a term of of endearment among American fans (my friends and I never got into this trend when it was more popular) and more along the original Japanese ideal of "otaku" being a little crazy about stuff. I think this has led to me using it too crudely when other words would probably get my idea across better.

Still, something like the Madoka program itself, which I have shown to non-anime fans (all but one of which have loved it), in my opinion, rises above any "otaku" moniker that one could ascribe to it.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Recorder to Randoseru - May be a decent Slice-of-Life

I hope so, too. It's weird that this comes out directly after Bunny Drop, but I hope it will have a similar atmosphere. Btw, the title is "Recorder to Ransel (-> school satchel)" (or Rekoodaa to Randoseru if you prefer).

jsieczkar wrote:
I'm not exited about any of the shows that are coming out this winter and not sure if I will check out any at thins point.

I don't even remember when was the last time I got excited about an anime series in advance ... mmh ... Erin I guess (because of the novels it's based on). Next time probably won't be until Guardian of the Darkness is finally announced Anime hyper
timesteel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
And interestingly there's only 1 really ecchi show (Highschool DxD) with perhaps I'm your father being another .. yet people complain about how the seasons are all filled with them

Hey and Highschool DxD isn't even that bad I know alot of people changed their views about the show after reading the first light novel. It isn't alot like any other harem series for one the main character actually wants a harem and is a total perv(not unlike sugisaki ken) and the girls actually like him lol. But all that aside it's similar to kore wa zombie desuka (even though this series is older) and is actually pretty entertaining.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
The fact that Madoka was an artsy, darker take on a typically stupid genre (I'm not a magical girl fan on almost every other occasion) would make me separate it from typical "otaku aimed" fair. I would see it as rather a kind of physical manifestation of a commentary on how these typically inane shows can really have depth, proper emotional impact, and impeccable art when well thought out and carefully produced.

Still, something like the Madoka program itself, which I have shown to non-anime fans (all but one of which have loved it), in my opinion, rises above any "otaku" moniker that one could ascribe to it.

While I'd argue Madoka's depth and how cross market appeal doesn't change the original target audience, I will agree that it's a good example of how something that looks like "otaku pandering crap" can be so much more.
TitanManTheMan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
jsieczkar wrote:
People including me are getting annoyed that the block is starting to show more and more programming for Otakus both male and female ones.

And said otakus get enjoyable shows either way Very Happy

You are making a good case as to why Rapunzel and Cars 2 sold so well in Japan. Twisted Evil

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-12-21/top-selling-blu-ray-discs-in-japan/2011

I guess these "enjoyable otaku shows", as you phrased it, send people running to buy the American stuff. Gee. I wonder why? [/sarcasm]

You're so ignorant it hurts.

Did you happen to notice those are DVDBD COMBO packs? As in not BD-only? Rolling Eyes You think that might have one thing to do with it?

How about those are two movies, which are far less of an investment than a 13/26 episode series. Movies always sell better. MIyazaki's sales put those two movies sales to shame. Movie market is waaaay different than TV market, bro. Japan doesn't make as many movies as the US, so Hollywood is kind of the big player. When it comes to TV though, American cartoons don't even come close Wink Sorry to burst your anti-Japanese bubble.'

The fact Gundam sold the same amount on BD only is amazing and what people should really point out, and Gundam is as otaku as it gets. Do some research before you talk again, kay?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:17 am Reply with quote
amagee wrote:

The problem here is that you are assuming all otaku anime is instantly bad. Just because its aimed at otaku first and foremost doesn't mean that its bad... there is both bad and good otaku anime. Just like there is both good and bad anime aimed at the mainstream audience.

But when it comes down to it, Madoka was aimed at the otaku audience. Its got cute underage magical girls, all kinds of merchandise like body pillows and beach figurines, and there is nothing made this year that has had more doujins. Otaku stuff is the only kind of anime that can sell as many copies as Madoka did as well, since the more casual fans aren't willing to dish out 80 dollars for 2 episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16