• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Winter 2012 Anime Spotlight

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
I still find it odd that English speakers would just go and change the meaning of a word. It's very egotistical imo.

It's not odd or some sort of egotism, merely an ordinary, very common linguistic process. It's simply incorporating a foreign word into the lexicon with some modification to fill a gap. Why should the borrowers be under an sort of obligation to not alter its meaning? It's a common strategy for many languages. The Japanese are quite awful sinners themselves; Japanese is littered with borrowings, many of which show rather less than pious fidelity to the meaning of the word in the source language, to say nothing of the abomination of wasei-eigo!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Well this is definitely the first time I've ever heard fujoshi used in such a meaning.

In the end, it is used with both meanings, depending very much on the person (the Japanese wiki page on Kuragehime even mentions how the use of the term in this series is different from the general use).
It's definitely not as if the "BL fan" meaning has completely disappeared in favor of a simple "female otaku / geek". It can also be used as an insult. So, we will just have to be a bit more precise what we're talking about Razz
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:48 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
Well this is definitely the first time I've ever heard fujoshi used in such a meaning.

In the end, it is used with both meanings, depending very much on the person (the Japanese wiki page on Kuragehime even mentions how the use of the term in this series is different from the general use).
It's definitely not as if the "BL fan" meaning has completely disappeared in favor of a simple "female otaku / geek". It can also be used as an insult. So, we will just have to be a bit more precise what we're talking about Razz

In addition, Otome Road is commonly called "Fujoshi Seichi" (EN wiki translates as "Fujoshi Street"; it's more like "Fujoshi Mecca" IMO; JP wiki has the citation) despite the shopping district very much being aimed at the general female demographic i.e. shoujo and josei, and not merely BL/yaoi.

You will find girls playing non-BL otome games and buying bishounen anime also referred to as "fujoshi"
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
If "female otaku" is so much harder to write, I don't see why you don't just drop the "female" part and just say "otaku."

configspace wrote:
In addition, Otome Road is commonly called "Fujoshi Seichi" (EN wiki translates as "Fujoshi Street"; it's more like "Fujoshi Mecca" IMO; JP wiki has the citation) despite the shopping district very much being aimed at the general female demographic i.e. shoujo and josei, and not merely BL/yaoi.

I'm thinking it's referred to as the "Fujoshi Seichi" because there's K-Books and Mandarake and Toranoana? (Though admittedly Toranoana isn't actually located where Otome Road is.) If you have ever been to the K-Books (the doujinshi-kan) and Mandarake in Ikebukuro, you'll know that it's pretty much all bl.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
NonoAsumy wrote:
Mawaru Penguin Drum

Does anyone else feel like this series makes no sense anymore? I was excited when it first came out, but I am at my wits end. I mean, I consider myself to be a very intellectual, well-read kind of person but I have no clue what the point of this show is currently. First it started off as a mystery with some sci-fi elements with tons of info-dumps and fan-service. Then I read that the director is some artsy-fartsy guy who is attempting some form of social commentary with every episode so jam-packed with symbolism. So, it made sense when it started heading in that direction, but then it seemed to just jump the shark and start randomly going all over the place. I still kind of want to watch it, but I can't stand the info-dumps and incoherent plot anymore.

RyanSaotome wrote:
Fujoshi means female otaku. It may have meant BL in the past, but now it is generally used to mean female otaku.

It's actually really, really insulting since, unlike how otaku is an honorific term for a person's home, fujoshi means rotten or putrid girl.
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
NonoAsumy wrote:
Mawaru Penguin Drum

Does anyone else feel like this series makes no sense anymore? I was excited when it first came out, but I am at my wits end. I mean, I consider myself to be a very intellectual, well-read kind of person but I have no clue what the point of this show is currently. First it started off as a mystery with some sci-fi elements with tons of info-dumps and fan-service. Then I read that the director is some artsy-fartsy guy who is attempting some form of social commentary with every episode so jam-packed with symbolism. So, it made sense when it started heading in that direction, but then it seemed to just jump the shark and start randomly going all over the place. I still kind of want to watch it, but I can't stand the info-dumps and incoherent plot anymore.

I have watched it up to episode 16 and I really like it so far.
Maybe you have watched it further but to this point we have Ringos arc followed and interluded by flashbacks (and flashback episodes) to the past of the characters and underlying story.

I am excited for the last third but I keep in mind that some things can and should not be explained and some storys simply can not end. However they are more often than not forcefully concluded.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Ikuhara's style certainly isn't for everyone. Often enough you can't easily tell which parts are meant to be taken at face value and which ones are metaphors. However the plot is far from incoherent as long as you pay attention and are willing to go along with what happens on the screen.
Banjo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
lets see what series that I will try Cool

- The Knight in the Area
I always try soccer animes, some of them are amusing

- Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki
Akira Kamiya is a must watch for me

- Recorder to Randoseru
will try this one out, I am not expecting anything though

- Another
I like creepy stuff, if they have a good story that is, so this one may work

- Ano Natsu de Matteru
may turn out good, who knows

- Daily Lives of High School Boys
sounds boring, but I will try an episode or two
jcaliff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the newer Prince of Tennis manga, but I was a pretty huge fan of the original, so any additional Tenipuri is good in my book. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
It's actually really, really insulting since, unlike how otaku is an honorific term for a person's home, fujoshi means rotten or putrid girl.

Was.
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:02 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

Ikuhara's style certainly isn't for everyone. Often enough you can't easily tell which parts are meant to be taken at face value and which ones are metaphors. However the plot is far from incoherent as long as you pay attention and are willing to go along with what happens on the screen.

After a while, I just stopped trying to figure out what was delusion and what was grounded in reality. I think the show just uses what it wants to tell its story, without worrying too much about it.

Personally, I don't think it ever lost focus. It's a tale of twisted love, of people who have lost their purpose, and who are stuck in the past. Oh, and tiny penguins getting hurt in dumb ways.

And about, the symbolism....well, I'm a sucker for fiction that creates its own mythology instead of borrowing directly from, say, the greek, or egyptian, or japanese mythology. And it's sheer ridiculousness is also attractive to me.

Back on topic, now....

WOOOO! Nisemonogatari! Natsume Yuujin-cho Shi! Another seems really interesting. I will give Ano Natsu de Materu and Daily Lives of High School Boys a chance. The former for its pedigree, the latter for an almost convincing trailer. I'll be watching one or two episodes of anything that has robots, as well.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking earlier today, since it's going to start in a few days, when may we expect the Bodacious Space Pirates Spotlight?
pantsmca

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Black Rock Shooter" was originally a single released by the Japanese dojin music act supercell, which is led by the composer Ryo.

What, no it's not. The song came after the original art and character designs by huke.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
I was thinking earlier today, since it's going to start in a few days, when may we expect the Bodacious Space Pirates Spotlight?

Given that it's already aired now and still no spotlight, I'm guessing we may not get it. Perhaps there was an issue with the materials ANN was sent or something. Still, confirmation from ANN would be nice.
shadow13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
The spotlight page for Another doesn't link to it's encyclopedia page like the other spotlight pages do. Any chance of this being fixed?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16