• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How would I take a site down?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freddy C

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:33 am Reply with quote
The thing is, the reason why they are 'legal' in Hong-Honk is because they either bootleg it or no one sees anything and everyone lives in the dark ages, anyone who grow up in asian will know I'm sure.

Music, VCDs, DVDs, Anime, VHS, even hardware and clothes are bootlegged, the copyright stuff there people just can't afford to be 100% honest, I wen to China a while back and being in the UK, £ against the RMB in China was £1 to RMB14, but even I found it hard to buy many copyright games there, they were literally the same price as games were in the UK. So you see that's why.

I personally don't think there's much individuals can do about these things, they have to be nailed by companies first or even the government, and the government isn't going to do that, like the tobacco trade, if that's stamped, government in many countries will find that they have a huge shortage in money. This is the same with bootlegs.

So I think the only way is the natural way, When China and HK moves out of 3rd world status, people's disposable income will rise and more will be able to buy legal stuff more...
YUGI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:37 pm Reply with quote
If they are shipping them to the U.S. Tell the U.S. customs. It is illegal to ship a bootleg on U.S. soil.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Problem with that is that they already know there is a bootlegging problem, but it would mean checking every package coming out of Hong Kong to see if there *might* be something bootleged in it. Then they'd have be trained to recognize them. Even then it's a waste of tax payers' money when it would be much more effective and just as difficult to stop them at the source.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:30 pm Reply with quote
The biggest problem, other than of course the problem of checking every package, is that the license holder must inform US customs that they want packages from XYZ company or address to be checked for bootlegs, they don't just check them to check them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2