• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Life Size Kono Miniku mo Utsukushii Sekai Doll

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Hell. I'd buy it cause something cute to fill my trash heap of a room would be nice.

Of course, I'm somewhat a of a moderate collector, so I would keep it in the sun and water it every day ^^;.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Have you people have no appreciation for true art Rolling Eyes ?
Seriously though, those dolls are not much different from what you can buy in a typical sex shop (not that there's anything wrong with that Wink ).

Last edited by Proman on Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Seriously though,those dolls are not much different from what you can buy in a typical sex shop

Except that, as Cookie pointed out, you can't have sex with it.

Cookie wrote:
They are not like "real dolls", though, and can break very easily. These things really are intended as collectors pieces.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, okay. Let me try saying this again:

They are not sex toys. If you tried to use them as such, you would injure yourself AND break a $4,000 doll.

First of all, you would need to "adjust" them to suit your desires, and using any kind of blade on the body would damage it and make it structurally unsound.

Then, if you foolishly tried USING your modification, it would most likely collapse around you. Replacement parts cost hundreds of dollars. Doctors bills could cost thousands more.

No, trust me, these dolls are NOT SEX TOYS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
syr

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:53 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
4k screw that id rather buy a couple registred mac varient sub machine guns.

Yeah cool. Cause guns are neat, and you need sub machine guns in every day living. Sweet.

The model is neat and all.. but a little creepy.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Okay, let's put this in perspective. This anime is supposed to commemerate Gainax's 20th anniversary (so says ANN) so it's not too surprising that there's going to be accompaning merchandise. Now, even though not a lot of people have $3,600, say you went on the Price is Right and won $10,000 or something. After three forms of income tax (Your state, federal, and California state) you'd probably have some money to burn. Now, given a choice of life-sized poseable anime dolls, this wouldn't exactly be my first choice (Hi, Kiyone), but still this would be something I would consider buying. Why? Because it's anime and I like anime, and I'm sure most of the other purchasers will, too.

Despite the pleading of the pure-hearted ANN staff, I am almost 99% willing to bet you Y399 000 that at least one person will take advantage of this offer and use Hikari The wrong way. Sorry, but that's the way the world works.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Despite the pleading of the pure-hearted ANN staff, I am almost 99% willing to bet you Y399 000 that at least one person will take advantage of this offer and use Hikari The wrong way. Sorry, but that's the way the world works.

No one said (atleast as far as I can see) that it would be impossible to do, but that it's not the intended purpose. Just like banana's aren't intended for people to have sex with...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

I dunno, I suspect somebody would get pissed off when they disrobe her and find she's not (I suspect, since I haven't actually seen them) anatomically correct. I figure the doll won't really be able to be misused on that one end, although I guess there are other ways, sexually speaking... Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
I dunno, I suspect somebody would get pissed off when they disrobe her and find she's not (I suspect, since I haven't actually seen them) anatomically correct.

I doubt that those kinds of people will care that much. What they may have a beef over is the probale lack of squishiness, if you know what I mean.

Anyways, for no good reason other than this fascinates me (but I don't know why), I've browsed the site in the futile attempt to get it to magically turn into at least coherent Engrish. I must say that, as wrong as this may sound, Hikari is in good hands. Paper Moon does not do life-sized dolls as infrequently as you might have assumed from the article. There are several pictures of a room just filled with cute anime ch1x0rz (sorry, couldn't help it) After I finished browsing, I couldn't help but think the following two questions:

1) Aren't dolls of Mahoro and Chii kind of redundant?
2) Wasn't May, like, 6 inches tall to start with.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I meant to see that I haven't seen if they are anatomically correct or not. I've known about paper-moon for around 2 years now, so I know that they've produced a great deal of quality dolls. I never assumed that they didn't make them infreuqently at all.

And yes, the Chii dolls are a bit redundant, and since May does have a full size version, why not?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
Well, okay. Let me try saying this again:

They are not sex toys. If you tried to use them as such, you would injure yourself AND break a $4,000 doll.

First of all, you would need to "adjust" them to suit your desires, and using any kind of blade on the body would damage it and make it structurally unsound.

Then, if you foolishly tried USING your modification, it would most likely collapse around you. Replacement parts cost hundreds of dollars. Doctors bills could cost thousands more.

No, trust me, these dolls are NOT SEX TOYS.

That quote made my day Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Proman wrote:
Seriously though,those dolls are not much different from what you can buy in a typical sex shop

Except that, as Cookie pointed out, you can't have sex with it.

Cookie wrote:
They are not like "real dolls", though, and can break very easily. These things really are intended as collectors pieces.

I know they are not "sex toys". I was just being sarcastic Wink .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2