• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cutie Honey Opens in 7th

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Must be a [expletive] for Anno. I guess that means his 15 minutes are finally up. Devil Man looked cooler anyway. Or maybe Warner Bros. Japan wanted Cutie Honey to fail by putting it up against a Brad Pitt movie, seeing as that fool is hella popular on Japanese tv. http://www.japander.com/japander/pitt.htm
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Gatsu, your continued flaiming of everything Anno is as tiresome as Asage's flaming of everything 4Kids.

Sometimes there's a point to it, but this time there's was no point to your post other than to take a cheap shot at Anno.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's Anno's fault the movie isn't doing great. The movie is a liveaction Cutie Honey movie, not really something girls would want to see, and it being Cutie Honey they can only go so far with the story. Than and then overall in the review it got here, it got a C. It doesn't really seem like a highquality film, but hey, who knows with the Japanese? Haunted Mansion is still in the top 5.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:23 pm Reply with quote
e_e no kidding

now for releventcy

I'm loving the look of this movie and I have been wanting to see this for along time now. Is it fan subbed yet? I havn't seen anything yet. Also, is it lisenced? I heard it'll be at some film festival or was that a dif movie? hmm so Anno or not, I dun care. Troy stunk and haunted mansion is a kids movie, maybe a family movie more so. I figure it did rather well given the competition. And the selection is far better than American Theaters.

I'll have to make it my duty to watch more movies in japanese theaters soemtiem ^^
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Well I did try to be fair and blame it on marketing. Anyway, judging by the site review, ANN wasn't impressed much either. Maybe if they weren't trying to make it into a quick cash-grab by doing an anime oav spin-off, and maybe if they just focused on the writing and not just the outfits of the female lead, it'd sell better. I still think putting it up against Troy was the final nail in the coffin though. I think a lot of anime directors are hoping that because Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away could compete with Hollywood blockbusters, their movies can too. But Ghibli movies are event movies, and general audience
movies to boot, while it's tough for a movie like Cutie Honey to compete in a market saturated by shoujo, when it has nothing new to offer to the genre.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:47 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I don't think it's Anno's fault the movie isn't doing great. The movie is a liveaction Cutie Honey movie, not really something girls would want to see, and it being Cutie Honey they can only go so far with the story. Than and then overall in the review it got here, it got a C. It doesn't really seem like a highquality film, but hey, who knows with the Japanese? Haunted Mansion is still in the top 5.

Also the movie had a low budget and Anno did he best to get around it. It wasn't Anno's fault that the movie had a low budget and the actors can't act. Overall with all those problems the movie has gotten decent reviews.
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:06 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Also the movie had a low budget and Anno did he best to get around it. It wasn't Anno's fault that the movie had a low budget and the actors can't act. Overall with all those problems the movie has gotten decent reviews.

But isn't part of the job of the director getting good performances out of their actors? Rolling Eyes

Actually, this is quite a step up for Anno, box office-wise. Shiki-Jitsu didn't even have a theatrical release, it just toured art museums. And regardless of the quality of the movie itself, this is incredible for such a low-budget movie. Cutie Honey is right behind Big Fish, and also remember that #7 was what Eternal Sunshine opened at in America. Anno's playing with the big boys now. Whether this is the movie of his that deserves to be a success is an entirely different matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:20 am Reply with quote
The budget wouldn't have made a difference if there was enough of a fanbase to justify the cost. Look at the live-action Sailor Moon, for example.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:36 am Reply with quote
jfrog: Shiki-Jitsu wasn't based off of a name-brand character. And Eternal Sunshine is nothing like Cutey Honey.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:32 am Reply with quote
glad to see that Cutie honey ranks up there in Japan's top ten.
I'm expecting cult favorite Devilman to clean house during it's opening week. Big fish was a cute flick, as for Troy..i'll wait for the video release or better yet, Cable.

If Pitt buffed himself a lil' more he would be idea for a Live action flick based on Marvel's Thor comic. (IMHO)

Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Uh, Gatsu, it isn't like Cutie Honey is based on some long and proud legacy of incredible storytelling and only the budget made the film bad. It's based on a campy, mostly-terrible Go Nagai anime people only remember because it's A) old and B) Cutie loses her clothes in every episode. The movie is campy and lame because the SHOW is campy and lame. There's no way this thing could hold up against stuff like... uh... okay, ANYTHING.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:21 pm Reply with quote
For the record, I said that Cutie Honey is Campy and Good, not Campy and Lame.

I enjoyed it.

It's no masterpiece (except a masterpiece of bad acting, hehe) hence the relatively low ratings I gave it. But it certainly wasn't, in my mind, a waste of time for me to watch it (watched it twice).

But, I wrote the review specifically so that people with different tastes than mine would realize that they would find it lame.

Smile

I've always felt that a reviewer should be able to write about a show he likes, give it a good review, and have people with different tastes than him realize that they won't like the show.
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, as long as its closer to the Adam West Batman than that godawful Doc Savage movie from the 70's I might see it.

And Gatsu, I know that Cutie Honey is nothing like Eternal Sunshine. My point was that Eternal Sunshine wasn't considered a box-office failure, but everyone here was talking like Cutie Honey was a flop. Who knows, it might slide off the charts in the next week, but its opening weekend wasn't bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac:
Quote:
Uh, Gatsu, it isn't like Cutie Honey is based on some long and proud legacy of incredible storytelling and only the budget made the film bad. It's based on a campy, mostly-terrible Go Nagai anime people only remember because it's A) old and B) Cutie loses her clothes in every episode.

Actually, Cutie Honey's the reason we have shows like Sailor Moon today. In fact, it appeals to the same audience.

Quote:
The movie is campy and lame because the SHOW is campy and lame. There's no way this thing could hold up against stuff like... uh... okay, ANYTHING.

Yeah, there's camp, but if Anno's going to emphasize one-liners over action, then people aren't going to be interested. As I said in another thread, fans understand that self-aware crap that Gainax has been doing since Otaku No Video, but it doesn't do any good when you're trying to win over the fans of the series, and not just fans of the parodies. (That's why I prefer Excel Saga over FLCL, because the staff for that show loves the series they make fun of, while Gainax is just trying to impress me by mentioning as much obscure anime as possible.) Plus the running time's another factor. People are going to see Troy, because they get their money's worth, especially in Japan, where ticket prices are insane. Cutie Honey should've been at least 2 hours.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:08 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Actually, Cutie Honey's the reason we have shows like Sailor Moon today. In fact, it appeals to the same audience.

... I am a giant Sailormoon fan, and I HATE Cutie Honey. It does NOT appeal to the same audience unless you mean the audience that watches Sailormoon for the girls all wearing short skirts. Cutie Honey is not the reason we have shows like Sailormoon. There were tons of magical girl anime before Cutie Honey ever came into existance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2