• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Rosario Phoenix, Ace Vampire

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinkchanwithamask

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
ಠ_ಠ

DEL REEEEEEEYYY!!! *crushes her scouter*

THERE'S AN ACTUAL PHOENIX WRIGHT MANGA.
WHY DID YOU LICENSE THE FANBOOK COMPILATION!?

I-I.

I TRUSTED YOU!!! *runs away crying*
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
I really wanted to like Phoenix Wright, but I guess I'll wait for Apollo Justice 2. *sigh* Crying or Very sad

Last edited by GATSU on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I really wanted to like Phoenix Wright, but I guess I'll wait for Apollo Smile 2. *sigh* Crying or Very sad

Eh?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
Fixed. Embarassed Laughing
Haipaa_Koneko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote
Wow the RTO's reader's choice wasn't much of a "Reader's Choice" at all. Too bad there's not a "RTO Reader's Warning" that something like that could fit into where people speak of series that others shouldn't waste their time with, as this week's person has tried to point out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote
I have to say that I am disappointed that the Phoenix Wright manga is a compilation. That said, I'll still be buying it and probably enjoy it, since it's Phoenix Wright Razz
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
I remember opening up a copy of Princess Ai way back when. The very first page has her waking up in a pile of garbage not knowing who or where she is. It's just like the real Courtney Love! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote
The review of Princess Ai: Encounters was SPOT ON. Laughing Twisted Evil
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
A big thank you to the person who wrote the Aquarian Age review. I keep getting it recommended to me by Amazon, but I never bought it because of the based on a card game factoid. Then I got hooked on Tokyo Babylon and learned that X/1999 was a follow up to the series. So now you have ended all my doubts. I'm buying X/1999 (even if I have to wait forever to get a conclusion).

As for the other reviews yeah the Princess Ai thing has really gotten out of hand. I mean crossovers in published comics that have no association with each other? Sounds like a bad case of attack of the fanfics.

Thanks for the reviews on Nora. I got it recommended to me as well and I was thinking of picking up a light hearted series. It sounds like it would be fun. (And mangaupdates shows that the series isn't too long - another plus).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
The Girl Who Runs Through Time sounds a lot like The Hourglass of Summer Colors to me.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty disappointed when I heard Phoenix Wright was not really a story driven series. But I will still pick it up.

And regardless of their reviews I will definatly be picking up Rosario+Vampire and Burst Angel.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Gee whiz, it really helps to read this article, I didn't even know there was a sequel to Aquarian Age.
Rika-chama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I guess I should be happy I have never been exposed to the Princess Ai franchise Laughing It would be nice if Tokyopop would focus more on it's better artists than on it's bad ones
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Burst Angel is actually a more enjoyable manga than this reviewer makes it sound. To put it in one way: if you're a fan of the anime to begin with, then you'll definitely find this manga to be a real treat, as it offers a glimpse of Jo and Meg's life before they were recruited by Sei. How is it 'cashing in on someone else's franchise' when Gonzo's name is right there in the credit?
Two things that stand out:
-the action sequences are really well done, in the sense that they're easy to follow. I've read plenty of action manga where they do odd cuts and shots here and there where I end up having to backtrack to see what I missed.
-For anyone who thought that Jo and Meg's relationship had romantic subtext to it, this manga confirms that they are in fact a couple, and we get to see more obvious yuri moments between them in the second volume.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Princess Ai keeps on getting cheesier and cheesier ( and before I thought it was pretty cool ) but Tokyopop is seriously whoring out that series to death.

And the Juvenile Orion review was PERFECT.
Nothing but mary-sues and generic bishounens. The ending seemed like a joke spoiler[Here I thought Mana was ready to kick that little loli's ass but all she does is slap her and then they 'magically' become friends. It was so cheesy.]

This is like the worst of shoujo ( ...i thought it was shounen though )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2