• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
high school/teenage romance manga recommendations please ^^

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
motaku96

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I just finished Absolute Boyfriend and i really liked it. i also recommend kare kano, peach girl, and fruits basket.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Apart from the recommandations made before me, for a somehow more serious high school romance, I would also recommend Mars by Fuyumi Soryo. It's an interesting love story between a rebellious boy with a taste for motorcycles and a shy girl, both of them having troubles anf both of them trying to make their relationship work in spite of all the obstacles or their own differences. It's intriguing and sometimes really moving. You should check it out.
motaku96

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Apart from the recommandations made before me, for a somehow more serious high school romance, I would also recommend Mars by Fuyumi Soryo.

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that one. It's one of my favorites too.
8018girl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
1. High school debut-It's about a girl who focused on nothing but softball in jr. high, so when she gets into high school she decides to get a boyfriend. when this doesn't happen imediately, she decides she wants a coach. She chooses a boy who agrees to coach her on the condition that she never falls in love with him. but as the story progresses, of course, she does.

2. Parfait tic- It's about a girl who lives in an apartment complex. the day before school starts two boys her age that are cousins move into the apartment above her. One of them is a serious person who makes fun of her constantly, the other a complete playboy. It's about how she falls in love. Serious love triangle at times, and very cute!

3. Koko no iru yo!- this one is suuuuper cute! it's about a girl who is very shy and never noticed. She blogs to tell her feelings. When a very popular boy confesses that he's in love with her though, he slowly helps her come out of her shell and make friends.

4. Bokura ga ita- It's a complete love story. When the heroine starts high school she meets a boy who is very popular. She falls for him, and he her. It's mainly about what happens while they go out. There are love triangles, drama, and some very sweet parts.

5. ouran high school host club- it's about a poor girl who gets a scholarship into a very rich school. one day while searching for a quite place to study she goes into a club room for the host club. she accidently brakes a very expensive vase and in order to pay off the debt she owes them, she has to pretend to be a boy, and be a host for the club. The romance doesn't start until later on in the series, but it's definately worth reading!

6. Akuma de sourou- it's about a girl who gets blackmailed by a boy who turns out to be the son of her mother's soon-to-be husband. They soon fall for each other. but they are two people who are going to be brother and sister, so they have to hide their relationship. it's just the story of them and their love. I like the heroine a lot. It's very cute and the characters are really good!

7. Gaakou no ojikan- this one is about a girl who's grandfather passes away when she's fifteen. She's forced to be headmaster of the school he used to run because it was in his will. While being headmaster she also has to attend the school. She soon falls for a guy and the guy's best friend falls for her. it's not done yet, but it's a page turner! I can't wait for more to come out!

8. tamago no kimi- it's not very well known, and it's not done yet, but it's incredible! it's about a girl who's from a planet that's exactly like earth, except it has an oppisite sense of beauty (they consider people that we would consider ugly to be gorgeous). On her planet she's considered hideous. One day she's sucked onto earth, where she's considered beautiful, and ends up staying with a complete ego-maniac. They begin to fall for each other.

9. Lovely complex- it's about a very tall girl and a very short guy who end up liking each other. it's very cute and fun to read. at first they hate each other and are considered a joke to their class and school, but soon they become friends and then they start to like each other. Super good!

10. Beast master- shorter than all the others i've mentioned, but i like it a lot. It's about a girl who loves animals, but animals hate her. She meets a guy who looks like a beast. She soon falls for him and he falls for her and it's very cute!

Well there you have it!!!!
8018girl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
1. High school debut-It's about a girl who focused on nothing but softball in jr. high, so when she gets into high school she decides to get a boyfriend. when this doesn't happen imediately, she decides she wants a coach. She chooses a boy who agrees to coach her on the condition that she never falls in love with him. but as the story progresses, of course, she does.

2. Parfait tic- It's about a girl who lives in an apartment complex. the day before school starts two boys her age that are cousins move into the apartment above her. One of them is a serious person who makes fun of her constantly, the other a complete playboy. It's about how she falls in love. Serious love triangle at times, and very cute!

3. Koko no iru yo!- this one is suuuuper cute! it's about a girl who is very shy and never noticed. She blogs to tell her feelings. When a very popular boy confesses that he's in love with her though, he slowly helps her come out of her shell and make friends.

4. Bokura ga ita- It's a complete love story. When the heroine starts high school she meets a boy who is very popular. She falls for him, and he her. It's mainly about what happens while they go out. There are love triangles, drama, and some very sweet parts.

5. ouran high school host club- it's about a poor girl who gets a scholarship into a very rich school. one day while searching for a quite place to study she goes into a club room for the host club. she accidently brakes a very expensive vase and in order to pay off the debt she owes them, she has to pretend to be a boy, and be a host for the club. The romance doesn't start until later on in the series, but it's definately worth reading!

6. Akuma de sourou- it's about a girl who gets blackmailed by a boy who turns out to be the son of her mother's soon-to-be husband. They soon fall for each other. but they are two people who are going to be brother and sister, so they have to hide their relationship. it's just the story of them and their love. I like the heroine a lot. It's very cute and the characters are really good!

7. Gaakou no ojikan- this one is about a girl who's grandfather passes away when she's fifteen. She's forced to be headmaster of the school he used to run because it was in his will. While being headmaster she also has to attend the school. She soon falls for a guy and the guy's best friend falls for her. it's not done yet, but it's a page turner! I can't wait for more to come out!

8. tamago no kimi- it's not very well known, and it's not done yet, but it's incredible! it's about a girl who's from a planet that's exactly like earth, except it has an oppisite sense of beauty (they consider people that we would consider ugly to be gorgeous). On her planet she's considered hideous. One day she's sucked onto earth, where she's considered beautiful, and ends up staying with a complete ego-maniac. They begin to fall for each other.

9. Lovely complex- it's about a very tall girl and a very short guy who end up liking each other. it's very cute and fun to read. at first they hate each other and are considered a joke to their class and school, but soon they become friends and then they start to like each other. Super good!

10. Beast master- shorter than all the others i've mentioned, but i like it a lot. It's about a girl who loves animals, but animals hate her. She meets a guy who looks like a beast. She soon falls for him and he falls for her and it's very cute!

Well there you have it!!!!
anemone-chan13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
I agree to those who recommended Fruits Basket and High School Debut...
Here are some I have loved hope it helped:
Kaichou wa Maid-sama-it is still ongoing though but about the school president, Misaki who works as a maid in a cafe and one day, one of the students, Usui found out about her secret. It follows the story about keeping Misaki's secret from school, her growing love for Usui and the mystery behind Usui
Shinshi Doumei Cross- About a girl in love witha a boy who is very kind to her that she pursue her in his school only too find out how he changed so much spoiler[but actually it is not really the boy he fall in love with but actually his elder twin brother]
Nadeshiko Club- about a girl who got dumped by her boyfriend cause she can't handle household chores so she joined the household chores club that the members were only four weird but handsome boys
I don't quite remember if anyone already mention:
Kimi ni Todoke- about a girl who is called Sadako cause she is freakingly scary until she met Kazehaya, She slowly change....(you can say its like The Wallflower)
Itazura na kiss, i never read it but watched the live action and anime adaptation... funny one.
oh, Koi Hirari is a nice one as well.... about a girl who entered the school were her parents met in hopes of she as well, will find her love in there.
not really school life but Mitsu Aji Buraddo by the same creator of Koi Hirari is good also. About a high school girl whose boyfriend is a almost hundred year old vampire in disguise of a novel writer.It is still ongoing though
Danshi kinshitsu- a normal girl got accepted in the student committee without even applying... she found out the student council members were all boys but their school is an all-girls and the reason she got accepted... the president who entered and disguised himself as a girl is in love with her....
Moe Kare!- a very nice story though there is a slight smut, the story for me... is epic... about a girl who is torn between a siblings who look exactly the same. One, who is her first love and one who loves her. spoiler[actually her first love loves her as well.]I cried in this series really....especially near the ending. Definitely recommended!
That's all!
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote
im really glad that alot of people actually like High School Debut and Fruits Basket manga. If u like shojo mangas u gotta like Yuu Watase‘s works. Stuffs like Fushigi Yuugi, Absolute Boyfriend, Imadoki, Ceres Celestial Legend. Anyone here saw the manga Kimi no iru Machi(A town where u lived)? it's the same author that wrote Suzuka. I've seen a few chapters on it and i actually think that its pretty good.
angelgoth666

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Ok I'm looking for an anime that idk it's name but first eps is about a girl who gets confece by a beast guy that everyone fears and this guy has a younger brother girl never realize that young brother was older guys brother..... Don't know if it make sence but anyway, girl then gets kidnappe by guys who think is older guys GF but isn't ... I want to know the name of this anime please send me a MSG on my email at [email protected]
reiko_rage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Hot Gimmick is definitely one of my faves. Highly addicting in my opinion. It mostly surrounds one heroine who lives in a company apartment complex that causes much drama for her adolescent life. This manga comes with instances of blackmail, revenge, and romance in the most unlikely of places. Very Happy
OLady

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Nobody mentioned Paradise Kiss? Is it a little too mature?

Flower in a Storm is a funny current one. The second (and I think final) volume should be coming out shortly. Rich boy tracks down superhumanly strong girl who prevented his car from hitting little kid. He goes to ridiculous lengths to convince her to marry him. Lots of giggles.

Dengeki Daisy. The first volume just came out. Good mystery, hidden identities, orphaned but plucky heroine. Love interest is an older (not too, though) man looking after her anonymously. I fell in love with it on-line.

Her Majesty's Dog, if you can find it, takes place in and out of school. The heir to a mystical clan has a shape-changing demon in love with her. Lame description, good series.

Magic Touch takes place largely in the high school massage club. The female lead falls for 'the stiffest back' she has ever seen which turns out to belong to a boy who hates being touched. There is a mistaken identity in this one, too, and some drama.

I second Mars, Hana Kimi, Ouran High School Host Club. Suki is also part of my permanent collection.

Ghost Hunt starts out in school and periodically returns to a school setting and has a triangle as a subplot.

I can't think of others while I'm sitting here, but maybe that gets you stocked for a while.
17dukej

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
ikr thats the 1st manga i read Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Very Happy
Poopyhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Kaichou wa maid-sama , it's about:
Seika High School, once an all-boys school notorious for its wild students and for generally being a terrifying place for girls, has recently become a [[co-ed]] school. With the female population still a minority and living in fear of the over-the-top antics of the males, Misaki Ayuzawa takes it into her own hands to reform the school and allow the girls to feel safe in the rough environment.

Training, studying, and even becoming the first female student council president of the school, Misaki has gained a reputation among the male students body as an uptight, boy-hating dictator and as a shining hope for the teachers and fellow female students. However, despite her tough-as-nails appearance, she secretly works part-time at a [[maid café]] in order to support her family. Unfortunately, her hard-earned reputation is threatened when the popular, attractive, and somewhat impassive Takumi Usui takes an interest in her after discovering her in a maid uniform after school.

Special A
It's very similar to kaichou wa maid sama and if u liked kaichou wa maid sama then you would probably like Special A
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Kare Kano and Ouran Host Club are very good one's I recommend you check those out. And School Rumbles another excelent one. Very Happy
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh and I forgot one, Kitchen Princess is a really good one and it comes with recipes at the end of the book for you to try out! Very Happy
AnimeFanGirl4Ever

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I highly suggest Ao Haru Ride, Kaichou wa Maid-Sama!, Sakura Hime and Mistress Fortune!!

Ao Haru Ride -Yoshioka Futaba has a few reasons why she wants to "reset" her image & life as a new high school student. Because she's cute, she was ostracized by her female friends in junior high, and because of a misunderstanding, she couldn't get her feeling across to the one boy she has ever liked, Tanaka-kun.
Now in high school, she is determined to be as unladylike as possible so that her friends won't be jealous of her. While living her life this way contentedly, she meets Tanaka-kun again, but he now goes under the name of Mabuchi Kou. He tells her that he felt the same way as she did when they were younger, but now things can never be the same again. Will Futaba be able to continue her love that never even started from three years ago?
http://www.mangareader.net/ao-haru-ride/1

Kaichou wa Maid-Sama! -Maid Sama!, known in Japan as Kaichō wa Maid-sama! (会長はメイド様!), literally The Student Council President is a Maid! is a shōjo manga series by Hiro Fujiwara. The story centers around Misaki Ayuzawa, the student council president of the previously all-boys high school who is particularly strict on the boys, and her relationship with Takumi Usui who after he discovers that Misaki works at a maid café to support her family.
http://www.mangareader.net/147-9743-1/kaichou-wa-maid-sama/chapter-1.html

Sakura Hime -Sakura is a princess who lives alone with a few maids in a mansion deep in the mountains. She’s been engaged to the prince of the country since she was born. She doesn’t like that fact, as she wants to decide her fate on her own. However, one day, a messenger from the prince suddenly came to take her to the capital…
http://www.mangareader.net/463-28690-1/sakura-hime-kaden/chapter-1.html

Mistress Fortune -Tachikawa Kisaki is a 14-year-old girl who's a drop-out ESPer. Her object of adoration is Hashiba Giniro, a superb ESPer who could use ESP at the age of five. Watch them as they become "Fortune Tiara" and "Fortune Quartz" and carry out their duties as a combination!
http://mangafox.me/manga/zettai_kakusei_tenshi_mistress_fortune/v01/c001/1.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3