• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Announces Tokyo Mew Mew

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Is it just me, or is 4Kids just asking to be villified by Anime fans for years to come?

like they haven't been already?
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
So was Escaflowne and Cardcaptor Sakura.

Not exactly. Cardcaptor Sakura was changed to Cardcaptors, there was no Sakura in the dub title. Escaflowne, if I remember correctly was originally Vision of Escaflowne, but was changed to just Escaflowne.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
Animefan16 wrote:
So was Escaflowne and Cardcaptor Sakura.

Not exactly. Cardcaptor Sakura was changed to Cardcaptors, there was no Sakura in the dub title. Escaflowne, if I remember correctly was originally Vision of Escaflowne, but was changed to just Escaflowne.

Don't forget Tenchi Muyo! and it's subsequent versions. Actually, I think the idea of condensing titles would have worked (as previously stated) with whatever the heck the show this thread is about is called. They couldn't have just called it "Mew Mew" and made all the focus groups happy? Speaking of which, did they even have focus groups? If so, they should be shot.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:11 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's name changes in general that ticks off fans, so much as POINTLESS name changes. Like Detective Conan being changed to Case Closed. I fail to see what was so non-understandable about the words 'Detective' and 'Conan' that made the need to change it. Is the little boys name not 'Conan'? Is he not a 'Detective'? I think we all know the answers there.

I feel the only reason for a change in the 'Tokyo' part of Tokyo Mew Mew is that 4kids has some fear that it will destroy a child's mind to watch a 'cartoon' on American TV which is set in Tokyo Japan. Rolling Eyes Or that the concept is just too hard for the American children to understand.
Poppycock

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:40 am Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
I don't think it's name changes in general that ticks off fans, so much as POINTLESS name changes. Like Detective Conan being changed to Case Closed. I fail to see what was so non-understandable about the words 'Detective' and 'Conan' that made the need to change it. Is the little boys name not 'Conan'? Is he not a 'Detective'? I think we all know the answers there.

I feel the only reason for a change in the 'Tokyo' part of Tokyo Mew Mew is that 4kids has some fear that it will destroy a child's mind to watch a 'cartoon' on American TV which is set in Tokyo Japan. Rolling Eyes Or that the concept is just too hard for the American children to understand.

they changed Detective Conan to Case Closed because they had to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:53 am Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:

That didn't stop Fox Family Channel to air Tokyo Pig.

Oh wait, it got pulled after a month on air. Bad example. Laughing
tarnishedestiny

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:36 am Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:

They changed Detective Conan to Case Closed because of copyright issues. That's a case where it's okay, and justified to change a name. When they change it to sound better, or for kids to understand easier, or whatever lame excuse they come up with, it's annoying and pointless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:28 am Reply with quote
Poppycock wrote:

they changed Detective Conan to Case Closed because they had to.

Okay, if was such a legal concern, why is it the end credits has "Detective Conan" stuck in the background of one of the animated sequences? And why is there still a "Next Conan's HINT" at the end of the show as well? Why didn't FUNi solicit new animation to correct this problem knowing full well any reference to Conan would bring problems from the Property Owners of Conan the Barbarian?

Kinda odd as I see it that everyone who "supports" the name change cite legal reasons for the name change, yet here is two blantant examples of the problem in the showings itself.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
yet here is two blantant examples of the problem in the showings itself.

Not really. Leaving "Detective Conan" in the background during a clip of animation could be written off as just random animation since it isn't being used as the shows title. As for the "Conan's Hint" part, his name is Conan, it's his hint, what does that have to do with the title change. There's a difference between propper names and titles when it comes to trademarks. You can trademark a title, but not a propper name; Detective Conan is a title while just Conan is a propper name. Someone obviously couldn't prevent a person from using Conan as their name, but they could place a trademark on the name in a way that would prevent it from being used in a title. In the US Detective Conan is not the title of that show and therefore it's use as anything else wouldn't be effected.

Besides, they worked with the Japanese companies to come up with the name so it's an official Japanese alternative as far as I'm concerned.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:58 pm Reply with quote
That still won't stop anyone determined enough to pursue legal action. Just to let ya know.
Pandemonium

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:55 pm Reply with quote
This name changing stuff is pointless. Kids don't care what it's called, it's more about the content for them...or just the pretty colors maybe...and I don't think parents care about the names, they just complain about the content...or perhaps the companies being paranoid of content being taken the wrong way. You really can't win.

Card Captor Sakura and Sailor Moon are good examples of content issues. CCS has two guys interested in each other so they cut the eps dealing with that...taking away some story. Season 5 of Sailor Moon has two girls interested in each other, so they stopped dubbing at season 4 with no chance of dubbing the last, but since it's a new season, it's not so bad, no story loss, but it's the best season of the 5.

They are both aimed at young girls and boys...but someone changed them both over small objections that no kid would understand in the first place.

So the name isn't that important, just as long as they keep the content somewhat the same.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Pandemonium wrote:
This name changing stuff is pointless. Kids don't care what it's called, it's more about the content for them...or just the pretty colors maybe...and I don't think parents care about the names, they just complain about the content...or perhaps the companies being paranoid of content being taken the wrong way. You really can't win.

Just to remind all of you, Case Closed is being shown in Adult Swim, not at toonami or Miguzi.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
That still won't stop anyone determined enough to pursue legal action. Just to let ya know.

They don't have a case against the use of the name Conan, only the title Detective Conan which they found a work around for. As long as the pairing "Detective" and "Conan" aren't being used as the shows title. It's OK for the character to be Detective Conan because then his name is Conan and his title is detective, it's not OK to call the show Detective Conan because that's using Conan in a way that would violate the Conan trademark. Sure, they *could* persue legal action, but in this case I doubt it would be in the best interest of the holder and they would likely lose more than just the case.

Emerje
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Sure, they *could* persue legal action, but in this case I doubt it would be in the best interest of the holder and they would likely lose more than just the case.

Emerje

Don't underestimate the US Justice System.
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Card Captor Sakura and Sailor Moon are good examples of content issues. CCS has two guys interested in each other so they cut the eps dealing with that...taking away some story. Season 5 of Sailor Moon has two girls interested in each other, so they stopped dubbing at season 4 with no chance of dubbing the last, but since it's a new season, it's not so bad, no story loss, but it's the best season of the 5.

That's actually not true. Season 3 had two girls interested in each other, and they just made them cousins.

Season 5 wasn't licensed because the Japanese licensors refuse to license it out. I recconmend checking out SOS for the full story on why StarS wasn't licensed. There were several people, including ADV and Pioneer, who were interested in licensing the show. Especially since releasing StarS in the US is pretty much a guaranteed hit, at least as far as DVD sales are concerned.

As for Tokyo Mew Mew, my only wish is this: release it subbed. If they release it subbed, I don't care if they butcher it. Sure, I won't like it, I'll even be disappointed, but as long as I can watch my shiny SUBBED Tokyo Mew Mew DVD, I'll be happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5