• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What do you think about FLCL?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shogun Airman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I like FLCL. It is a fresh look at the way animation is done, from the cut-out animation to great indepth detail. What do you think?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I rated it "masterpiece" in My Anime.

Although I've only seen it once on DVD and in English, there was just something about it that really attracted me. It's probably much like what you said in that it's a "fresh" way of looking at anime.

A lot of people have also stated that the "calculated insanity" was a big factor in making this show so unique.

But in my case, I just found it to be a very fun an entertaining series to watch. The art and animation are well-done, the music rocks and is among one of my favorite soundtracks, the voice acting (in English anyway) is excellent (one of the best I've heard,) and even through all of that zaniness, the show still manages to retain a good plot, which I give a lot of credit to GAINAX for.

Overall, if this kind of anime is your cup of tea, you'll love it. If the comedy seems a little too unorthidox, then I wouldn't recommend it. (But as you can tell, I like it.)

And welcome to the forums! Wink
graywolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I gave it a masterpiece rating as well.

there are a few sub forums already asking this question but it is always nice to hear from another fan. I have found that there is a battle line drawn in the sand right now over witch is better Excel Saga or FLCL. I found that both were funny and had me roll'n on the floor. FLCL did some good animation experiments and E.S. had so many story’s that worked together wither they where suppose to or not.

I believe that the only reason I gave FLCL a higher rating was that the writer didn’t appear as if he where trying to be crazy like in excel saga. we crazy people can tell when your faking. Very Happy Very Happy now that im looking at this I hope I didn't start anything. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

but welcome to the forum Anime smile

Last edited by graywolf on Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
UberTai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Highly over-rated, but I like it somewhat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Laughing. Yeah, intentionally crazy or not, I love Excel Saga. I rated it "excellent" based on its comedy alone, but the lack of a good ending prevented a higher rating.

In terms of just off the wall slapstick comedy, Excel is probably the funniest I've seen since Ranma 1/2. It would have been interesting if Furi Kuri/Fooly Cooly/FLCL was created as a TV series rather than an OAV. NOT to say I think it should've been.

The OAV format, in my opinion is perfect, and I know that any kind of additional installments now could very well lower its overall worth, but I was just day-dreaming.

Now, with that aside, I will now end this post. Cool
C_Brightshadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably the only person who will say this, but I don't like FLCL at all. All my friends love it too except for me...

I actually find the show to be well made, very clever, and unique in it's own way. However, for all its clever devices and humor I honestly don't see the point of it all. I can't seem to find a central theme or message that the humor and strangeness promotes. So basically, for me it's just strangeness for the sake of strangeness, which doesn't work so well with me.

On the other hand I love Excel Saga because it's so plain stupid. Anime smile
graywolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:01 pm Reply with quote
yes the ending to Excel saga did kinda mess it up for me, but it still got a great rating from me.

as for the length of FLCL they could have gone another 5 or six shows but i think the length was perfect, any one can grab it and watch it in a 3 hour marathon and that, i think, adds to the appeal. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
graywolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:09 pm Reply with quote
that is part of the fun. you walk away from it with your idea of what it ment.

they tryed to iron the world!! if all the wrinkls of life where smoothed out that would mean no fights, no disagrments, just following what ever your told with out second guessing.

what a sad exestanc that would be.
you should live where you want, how you want, and when you want.

Well thats what i got from it Laughing
hutti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:58 pm Reply with quote
sorry to say it but I don't like FLCL!!
The Story is not good and the chars are absurd.

But its only my opinion and everybody can judge it himself
graywolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:01 pm Reply with quote
no worrys man please tell us why there absurd?
GoldHawk021

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I love the anime. It will be a 10 out of 10 in my book Cool
Lost Forever

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I think FLCL really does give a positive idea on anime, and it's really fun to watch...I think anyone who watches it can enjoy it... Very Happy
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I actually like FLCL more for the quieter moments than the hyper bits. Scenes like the black robot ascending into the sky, or Mamimi smoking cigarettes with "Never Knows Best" written on them. If those weren't there it'd just be too fast-paced and I'd lose interest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:14 pm Reply with quote
i thought it was OK. most of the people i know watched it because of the sexual references, then i thought "how would this show be without them?" it would probably sink but still get a 10 for being original
BlackRose321

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:19 am Reply with quote
I like it. I like a series that can make me laugh that hard. Laughing At first I was one of the people that didn't get it but then I got it through someone else's help. If anyone wants to read it here it is: http://boards.adultswim.com/adultswim/board/message?board.id=6&message.id=119769&view=by_date_ascending&page=1
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2