• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Announces Licenses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
considerme

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:41 pm Reply with quote
[/quote]And that's why Cowboy Bebop isn't my favorite anime. I found most of the episodes a bore.[/quote]

I agree the episodes didn't really meet my expectations. They could have been better.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:31 am Reply with quote
Boxie wrote:

huh? what?

She broke your sarcasm meter as well, huh? Smile
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:53 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
jfrog wrote:
I agree. Cowboy Bebop and Macross Plus were good because they were very character-driven, but so far Samurai Champloo seems to be a glorious display of style over substance.

Cowboy Bebop was character driven? only about 6 episodes had anything to do with the actual story.

Well, that means it isn't plot-driven, doesn't it?

I guess what I meant was that while it was mostly style, it did have an emotional payoff, which isn't something that I can see happening with Champloo. I'm not saying Cowboy Bebop was the equivalent of Wings of Desire (or even Millennium Actress), but I cared about the characters far more than the ones in Samurai Champloo. I don't go expecting complex filmmaking from Watanabe, but I do expect well-written characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:03 am Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
I don't go expecting complex filmmaking from Watanabe, but I do expect well-written characters.

Again, it's only been 2 episodes.

Just give it a chance at least, onegai? Surprised
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:26 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
jfrog wrote:
I don't go expecting complex filmmaking from Watanabe, but I do expect well-written characters.

Again, it's only been 2 episodes.

Just give it a chance at least, onegai? Surprised

exactly. the first two episodes of Cowboy Bebop were Asteroid Blues, Stray Dog Strut. you can't really tell anything by two episodes. give up to about 10 before you make a solid judgement
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:39 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
v1cious wrote:
jfrog wrote:
I agree. Cowboy Bebop and Macross Plus were good because they were very character-driven, but so far Samurai Champloo seems to be a glorious display of style over substance.

Cowboy Bebop was character driven? only about 6 episodes had anything to do with the actual story.

Well, that means it isn't plot-driven, doesn't it?

I guess what I meant was that while it was mostly style, it did have an emotional payoff, which isn't something that I can see happening with Champloo. I'm not saying Cowboy Bebop was the equivalent of Wings of Desire (or even Millennium Actress), but I cared about the characters far more than the ones in Samurai Champloo. I don't go expecting complex filmmaking from Watanabe, but I do expect well-written characters.

I think you're "trying" to dislike it without giving it a chance. Compare with all other recent show coming out, it's far a head of them. Also you're expecting too much or maybe this series is overhype.

When I first saw Cowboy Bebop, I wasn't hype about it and know nothing of it. So I found the show to be refreshing and unique. After watching over 100 different anime series, I still find Cowboy Bebop to be a classic. Most people won't even find the concept in some of the episode and think it's useless stuff. But then I found out that most younger kids won't even enjoy Cowboy Bebop as much as adaults too, since they tend to only want to see blood, gore and action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3