• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New MTV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:15 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Note to MTV: Reality shows and shows about people getting into the entertainment industry suck and are passe. Play some music again!

Screw that! I was heartbroken when Frankie left the house on Real World: San Diego last week! And Brad's breaking up with his girlfriend! It's all so tragic!
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I look forward to this showing on MTV2 at 3am on Sundays.

And they'll show episodes one, two, twelve, and ten before moving it to noon on Thursday. Why Thursday? No real reason, but it'll only be there a week before Real World vs. The Osbournes reruns replace it and it gets moved to some time on the eighth day of the week.

Gotta love how MTV schedules things.

GATSU wrote:
Note to MTV: Reality shows and shows about people getting into the entertainment industry suck and are passe. Play some music again!

Normally I'd agree. But looking at the current bands making the rounds...no. Just...no.

Anyway, this show could actually be something, but I have my doubts. The article I read gave off the impression that the people behind it really had no genuine clue what Japanese animation was, and were merely making this thing to capitalise on that "funky upstart Japanese toon thingy." At least with other "pseudo-anime" parody shows like Megas XLR, you could tell in just five minutes that the producers actually knew a little about what they were doing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:26 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I think that's what MTV2 is for.
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Screw that! I was heartbroken when Frankie left the house on Real World: San Diego last week! And Brad's breaking up with his girlfriend! It's all so tragic!

Dear god I missed that episode! Brad? Oh Sheila is going to make her move! Rolling Eyes Arrow Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:35 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I think that's what MTV2 is for.

Used to be, anyway. Now MTV2's a dumping ground for Real World episodes and failed animation series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Animefreak08 wrote:
Zac wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Dear god I missed that episode! Brad? Oh Sheila is going to make her move! Rolling Eyes Arrow Laughing

Pain to my head. ><

Blah. MTV is kinda whack. But it's basically always been like that. =/

Few reality TV shows even begin to amuse me. It's just a way around using money to hire real actors and such. Blah.

And as for the show it self, c'mon. I wanna see it just to see how it goes. The amusement rises. =P

And just because a show has a short run doesn't mean it sucks. =/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Animefreak08 wrote:
Zac wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Actually it's Cameron that's going to make her move. She and Brad were totally hooking up behind Amanda's back.

The scary thing is that that actually IS what happened on last night's Real World. MTV is like junk food for me. I know I shouldn't partake but I just can't help it; it's trash but I find it strangely irresistable.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:51 pm Reply with quote
At least American MTV could, theoretically, show music videos more than 10% of the time if they wanted to, unlike Canadian MTV, which has a quota mandated by the CRTC so that it doesn't compete with Much Music. And I don't think Canadian MTV can show cartoons at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xxmiyuxx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Im glad to see I'm not the only one fighting in the Anti-MTV war.

But I have to say, at least it's not another one of there reality TV dog food. But i'll bet $5 they are gonna put Jessica Simpson in there somewhere. OOOHHHH buddy.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
considerme

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I so agree. I mean it is pretty cool that MTV is embracing anime yet the result could be dire...... Laughing
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Animefreak08 wrote:
Zac wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Actually it's Cameron that's going to make her move. She and Brad were totally hooking up behind Amanda's back.

The scary thing is that that actually IS what happened on last night's Real World. MTV is like junk food for me. I know I shouldn't partake but I just can't help it; it's trash but I find it strangely irresistable.

Shocked The only reality show I can begin to watch is Punk'd. Though would that be called a reality show?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Animefreak08 wrote:
The only reality show I can begin to watch is Punk'd. Though would that be called a reality show?

More like a hidden camera show, just like Candid Camera & Scare Tactics (personally I prefer Scare Tactics to Punk'd, but that's just me).
Vekou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, Tom Green's Japan special was the funniest, most entertaining piece of original programming MTV has ever shown.

It also happens to be one of the only funny or entertaining pieces of original programming MTV has ever shown.

So I'm not getting my hopes up for this.
GoldHawk021

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:

Dear god I missed that episode! Brad? Oh Sheila is going to make her move!

Poor Frankie but not even I could live with that chick Robin. Anyway , That's good that Mtv is going to add anime. I haven't
seen anime for awhile and putting anime on a young people's channel will bring more anime fans. It's like killing two birds with one stone. I also watch "Pimp My Ride."
mizushimo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, it sounds like another "OMG-watch-some-twenty-something-guy-act-really-stupid-on-tv!-So-funny!" show. But I'll withhold judgment until I actually see the show(downloaded off of DC++, since I don't watch tv) Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3