• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New MTV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vekou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:54 pm Reply with quote
mizushimo wrote:
I dunno, it sounds like another "OMG-watch-some-twenty-something-guy-act-really-stupid-on-tv!-So-funny!" show. But I'll withhold judgment until I actually see the show(downloaded off of DC++, since I don't watch tv) Cool

*gasp* FOR SHAME!

Oh, wait, we're talking about some MTV reality crap... well, download your ass off...
Stormkoopa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:13 am Reply with quote
At one point MTV had several animated shows that were quite good, between Aeon Flux, The Maxx(one of my favorite US animated shows ever), and The Head. I think the block was called Liquid Television, however these were all very surreal whereas this sounds like it's going to be somewhat serious.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:21 am Reply with quote
Liquid Television was its own show of animated shorts, but many MTV cartoons did spin off from it. Aeon Flux and Beavis & Butt-Head, for example, came from shorts on Liquid Television.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:17 am Reply with quote
Okay, so it seems like I'm the only one who may be interested in this (because I like parodies, and I'm kinda interested in how things like that work).

So I open this question to the forum: Who should have had control of this: MTV or Spike TV?
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Okay, so it seems like I'm the only one who may be interested in this (because I like parodies, and I'm kinda interested in how things like that work).

So I open this question to the forum: Who should have had control of this: MTV or Spike TV?

Spike TV? aren't they tghe Star Trek:TNG rerun people? They don't really make original programming. MTV would probably improve if it also stopped making original programs.
herbkir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:09 pm Reply with quote
The MTV people aren't ever going to have success with anime until they realize that it doesn't lend itself to their random scheduling. No anime will be able to build a TV fanbase for them unless the fans know when they can find it, same time, same day of the week every week. And they need to realize that anime episodes need to be run in order, not at random.

Or maybe they think anime is no different than Beavis & Butt-head, runnable anytime in any order. (I never could understand the appeal of B&B. It strikes me as an ugly show about nasty people that I wouldn't want to spend my time with.) (^_*)
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:04 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
The MTV people aren't ever going to have success with anime until they realize that it doesn't lend itself to their random scheduling. No anime will be able to build a TV fanbase for them unless the fans know when they can find it, same time, same day of the week every week. And they need to realize that anime episodes need to be run in order, not at random.

Uhm... I don't think they're really trying to make a real authentic anime. It's a parody. So they need not really adhere to any of the general rules of anime, including consistant episode order.

Who ever said that MTV could have a success? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
animegirl22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:14 am Reply with quote
Oh god, I hope that they don't go overboard on the "fabulous life of Voice Actors" because it really isn't all that glamourous. Heck, most VAs that I know....and I know a fair few.....have a day job to support their acting....because even though it definitely is great fun to do.....the money won't pay for all the bills. Seriously. I know of one famous VA who works at Poke E Joes bbq restaurant....then there's another who works as a hair dresser at Fantastic Sams and then there's one who is a UPS delivery man, another who works as a scrub in a hospital....the list goes on. VA work is great, don't get me wrong...but you have to have an additional form of income in order to make it in the industry....and I'm afraid that this MTV show will give an over glorified view of VO acting. But that's Seiyuu here in the USA. I'm not sure about the VAs in Japan. But honestly, being a VA does not bring fame and fortune....and it'd be really sad if MTV glorifies it to the point that when new VA talent try to work in the industry they aren't disappointed.....I don't want to ever see that happen. I know a guy who got one small role in VA work and then because he got that role, he figured that he would become a world famous VActor....so he quit his job that paid a pretty penny....unfortunately, the role that he got....was only for a small OVA show and he hasn't had a role since. So, he's out of work on both ends and has been having to pawn his stuff in order to stay afloat. I don't want to see that happen to anyone....because I've seen it too many times. sigh. Sad
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Kappa Mikey,that's supposed to be the title right?
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:40 pm Reply with quote
superdeformed wrote:
My good friend Casey sums it up best with a picture of himself.

[url=http://www.inmediasresmusic.com/gallery/nonshow/fuckmtv2.jpg]
Casey and his love for MTV.
[/url]

OMG SO 3DGY

Pssh, you kids are just jealous that the Dead Kennedys were doing the "MTV sucks!" thing before you kids were even born.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
space clam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:57 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Note to MTV: Reality shows and shows about people getting into the entertainment industry suck and are passe. Play some music again!

What, no one saw the MadTV music video sketch, "The Music's Gone?" That kind of summed up what MTV is nowadays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3