• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Red Garden, NHK to End in Boxes, Not Single DVDs

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, that sucks for people who had been buying singles, but it just goes to show you that it's a bad idea to buy single DVDs, even if it does make the companies more money.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Noooooo, I have 5/6 of Red Garden... I've already finished watching, but I really wanted to complete my box DDD; This sucks.

How hard is it to release one measly volume (rhetorical question)??? Even a limited print run would be nice... *weeps*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they're going to take a loss on these series regardless and even releasing the boxsets is just a way to not drown in red completely, but really...BOTH with 1 dvd left to go?
stardust462

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm really surprised by this. I think with Geneon releases that Funimation picked up they were going to release single DVDs in addition to boxsets, if DVDs had already been released by Geneon. Even though I don't own any of either series, I'm kind of disappointed by Funimation about this.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
Maybe they're going to take a loss on these series regardless and even releasing the boxsets is just a way to not drown in red completely, but really...BOTH with 1 dvd left to go?

A valid point, and I can see that decision being made for Red Garden... but wasn't Welcome to the NHK doing well? I thought there was all kinds of hype around it at the time... :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
se37

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I HATE This... I have all 5 of the NHK DVD's and have been waiting for the last one forever. Guess I'll be selling those tomorrow. Why can't Funimation do an online thing for the last DVD of Welcome to the NHK then making people buy the box sets. That way my collection wouldn't be so wasteful. At least that way they won't be forced to pay retail fee's for the last DVD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Brilliant marketing decision by Funimation. Morally....tottaly wrong, but still brilliant from a financial point of view. People who REALLY wanted the last dvds of those shows will buy the boxset. Nice one Funimation, you sure do know how to take advantage of a situation.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
evilnekohilda wrote:
A valid point, and I can see that decision being made for Red Garden... but wasn't Welcome to the NHK doing well? I thought there was all kinds of hype around it at the time... :/

How well is well though? This is the anime industry after all. It's too bad they didn't try SOMETHING else as suggested possibly just online sales for that specific disc or...whatever else could be done instead of forcing anyone collecting the series to somehow pawn off their first 5 discs.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I love collecting singles, I guess it is a good thing I could never get around to picking these up. Although I really wanted too. If I had already had these singles I would be very upset now. Instead I am just disappointed.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
AoDVD has been arguing about this in their forums for a while. I posted this email address for those who would like to send some civil comments to them:

feedback [at] funimation [dot] com

You'll get back a form email saying that they are still looking to options, and supposedly are taking customer feedback into consideration. But maybe they really are saving up all the angry emails they are getting and will push for a pre-order online release of the v.6s or something. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

I was screwed out of v. 6 of Red Garden. Because of this decision they made, I cancelled my order of Darker than Black v.1 and will not be getting Claymore either, nor any other new singles from them in the future. I included that in my letter to them expressing my frustration and disappointment in their marketing decision.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm leaving my v.6 Red Garden on preorder at TRSI so that it shows that someone is still interested in buying the single. :\

Last edited by kyokun703 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Kinda sucks for people who bought all the singles - but since I almost never buy singles anymore, this is great news for me... a little pricey in the end having to buy two boxed sets instead of one, but I can live with that.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
And after all this, US anime companies will still bitch and whinge when people decide against buying their DVDs. For goodness' sake, guys, there's only so much your customer base is willing to take.
ScrappedAeon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Man, I don't know if I even want to keep buying singles. I dread something like this happening to, like, Lucky Star.

Ugh so frustrating.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
The only saving grace for the NHK box is that if you saved the place holder from Volume 2, you can comfortably slip the remaining 4 DVDs into the place holder, and then slip that into the box. At least it won't look like you have an incomplete set. But I'm still pissed enough that I'm through buying singles.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
How exactly did this deal work? Does funimation have the rights to the previous 5 volumes with the voice acting and everything or do they have to re-dub or sub it?

If they don't have the rights then this definitely makes sense to only release boxsets.

Even if they do have the rights it still kinda makes sense. Funimation and Geneon have both been working on releasing more boxsets and moving away from individual discs.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11