• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Red Garden, NHK to End in Boxes, Not Single DVDs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I think these releases, as well as the issues with the Fate Stay and Shana boxes has killed off most of the good will Funi had earned from the license "rescues" in the first place. [...] I probably won't even finish RG or NHK, because I refuse to pay $50-$60 for just a hand full of episodes.

Yeah. I was completely annoyed after seeing we would lost the Shana box on rescue, but was at least "comforted" to see they didn't stick the OVA in the thinpak. So hunting down the singles wasn't a complete waste.
Cait wrote:
I'm going to sit down and write them a nice letter later (when I'm not so angry about it), but right now I really just feel like venting. I'm a collector and I've been collecting the invidual volumes of Welcome to the NHK since the beginning. I even got the artbox. It annoys me to no end to know that even though the series will be finished, I will have to buy a box with volumes I already own to complete my collection. This is not something I am going to do. [...] This basically means that even though the last volume of NHK will exist in the world, I will not own it...

In related news, I've solved the trouble with the missing volume in my NHK box (by placing an empty DVD case in the open slot with a less than pleased message to Funimation written on the spine). I'd post a link to the picture of it I took, but I'm not sure the vulgarity I used would be appropriate for these forums...

Agreed. I will not rebuy part of a series. Period (well, okay, maybe if they wanted to buy-back my singles and replace with a full-series BD set.) If I wouldn't rebuy a first volume to grab a box from my early retail purchasing days, I certainly won't to pick up a last volume. No single = no sale + much greater caution on their releases. I'm all for that link though, just tag it ns & spoiler it to keep from younglin eyes.
sdhd wrote:
FUNimation is only releasing the second part of NHK in a boxset. What about the first part of NHK?

Amazon shows both parts up for pre-order, and luckily coming out on the same day, so you don't have to worry about them deciding to scrap it and go to full-season release only after buying the first half.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

Amazon shows both parts up for pre-order, and luckily coming out on the same day, so you don't have to worry about them deciding to scrap it and go to full-season release only after buying the first half.

Indeed they do. The usual sources point to the same. They may still issue a 'complete box' to grab more money, knowing them though, of course. I don't see why this is split in half though. That seems weird. I guess to soften the blow of those that couldn't get DVDs when things with ADV were getting rough recently?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
First and foremost, where is your evidence that they weren't? I don't feel like I should be forced to provide "evidence" to support an open claim (especially when my wording was "didn't exactly," not "didn't") when the person demanding said evidence provides nothing to the contrary.

Anyway, as I recall, many of the licenses in question were pulled previously from ADVs site and line-up some time in the middle of the release schedule, then re-added, then finally dropped again just before the street date for NHK volume 5. It's clear that they were trying to work out their licensing deal/issues with Sojitz and were ultimately unable to. In the end, ADV didn't shut down operations as a result of this debacle. They dusted themselves off and licensed some new series. Clearly, my arguments that they "didn't drop their licenses" (since they were taken by Sojitz and sold instead to Funimation) and that they "didn't go under" (considering they are still licensing and releasing titles) are pretty sound. I don't know where the problem with my comments are here.

When the repo man is out there hooking that car up to the tow truck it seems a lot of people try to talk him out of doing it.
If the issue on Sojitz side was missed payments, why the hell should they deal? The problem is on our side none of us know what was going on. For all any of us know, ADV had been late a couple times on their payment, or asked if they could make an interest only payment a couple times. I really can't believe Sojitz would switch business partners over 1 missed or late payment. ADV posting those titles back up could have been optimistic on their part like a gambler positive the next throw of the dice or pull of that handle will win big. Maybe ADV hoped they could buy the individual titles they had partially released & Sojitz would shop the rest. Who knows what was going thru their minds?

Cait wrote:

When did I mention Red Garden, let alone the UK release? My problem and complaint is specifically in regards to Welcome to the NHK volume 6, in the US. There is no evidence at all that they would "lose money" by doing a limited print run of the volume for the collectors. Before your argument is "but they would lose money if they printed the discs for the collectors" please show me some figures to support your claim. My argument is based on what seems to be a pretty vocal complaint from the very collectors (myself included) that we wanted that last volume. I know I won't be buying the box set just to get my hands on the last volume, and for anyone to tell me to "suck it up and be glad we're getting anything at all" I have to wonder where your self-respect is. That's like saying, "we're just not good enough to get the things we want or be treated with any kind of respect by anyone, so when we're given our meager rations, not only shouldn't we have the right to complain, we should thank our kind overlords." The point of an open forum is to complain about the things we are unhappy about, even if we know our voices won't change things or amount to much, we still have the right to complain.

All YOU care about is NHK. To hell with the collectors of Red Garden or any other title ADV didn't finish, right? Special dispensation for YOU, everyone else just go away.

COMMON SENSE
It costs money to press dvds & ship them out to stores only to see them returned by the store a few months later.
Even a mail-in program just to please you all would be nice, but it encompasses a lot of work for Funi, possibly more than it's worth.
It's been stated many times sales numbers are a closely guarded secret, but I would assume Sojitz has the numbers of what sold for these titles thus Funi knows damned well whether it's worth the effort or not to do singles. With Geneon, Funi is distributing Geneon product so it was in Geneon's interest to sell singles, though we are being moved over to boxes. I really wouldn't mind if they split Shonen Onmyoji at the halfway point because, as I said, because I have 2100 anime dvds, I double-row them-singles in back row, boxes in front & turn the solid back of the box facing out. If the box has room, it doesn't bother me. I usually shove something else into the space-a related manga, a similar title. On Gundam Seed, it's other Gundam titles.

Did you EVER participate in those sales ADV held?
EVER?
Do you know how many dvds I got from them that were drilled or cut thru the price signalling they were returned stock (which is probably why ADV was selling them for $5)? Do you know how many I received with Best Buy price tags still on them?

Yeah, ADV was doing sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo well.

Oh my god.
You think I don't know what it's like to have titles vanish?
I don't have 3 volumes of Air Master on my shelf.
I don't have 2 volumes of Bobobo on my shelf.
I don't have 2 volumes of BTx on my shelf.
I don't have 3 volumes of YuGiOh uncut on my shelf.
I don't have 2 volumes of Shaman King uncut on my shelf.
I don't still have the 7 or 8 single dvds of remastered Saiyan Saga DBZ on my shelf from before Funi changed their mind & decided to issue the sets in boxes only.
I don't have the 12 dvds ADV gave us of Saint Seiya ending about 20 eps shy of the ending of the story arc & encompassing only 60 of the 120 or so Saint Seiya TV series eps.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I've never been left hanging.

As I pointed out.
1 single dvd list price $29.95.
1 $49.95 list box set 40% off-10%customer discount=$27.
So you're maybe paying about $10 more than you would to get the single in the same sale ($16.19) & you end up with 2 copies of 2 of the dvds, at least you can finish your set.
MY GOD I'd LOVE for someone to offer a sub-only box of Shaman King.
Same for Saint Seiya

Look at how many people have been irritated with ADV over their release style. Titles announced as licensed, but then never released. ADV invested in the production of some of these titles-such as Tactics-but then shelved them (I was so happy when they announced Tactics & so angry a couple yrs later when they announced they were dropping it. Thank god they finally sold it to Manga, but it was dubtitles & ADV's dub so I assume they're to blame for those dubtitles)
How many other titles did they invest in on the ground level & then drop?
How many titles did they invest in at the ground level & not break even on after dubbing & releasing?
If they knew there was an issue, why did ADV continue to dub these titles instead of playing it safe, cutting their losses & clearing up the titles.
Why did ADV have so much trouble getting titles on tv? Just about every other licensing studio manages to have several titles on International, CN, IFC, Action, but ADV rarely managed to? Could it have been their big idea of their Anime Network? Asking too much? It wasn't that they didn't have good titles, but there had to be a reason, don't you think?

Quote:
It made it through five volumes, while Geneon couldn't even get to the fourth volume of Hellsing Ultimate before folding.

Geneon DIDN'T fold. The Parent Company closed down an unprofitable division, seeking to contract the business out to local workers.

Quote:
Oh come on, you can't seriously see that as comparable can you? It's ridiculously irrelevant. You're talking about cookies for goodness sake. Now maybe I'm just not a cookie connoisseur but if they stop making a cookie I like, I just buy a different cookie. I can do that because I haven't already invested anything in the other cookie. I haven't already bought 5 of those cookies and need a sixth one to complete my interest in that brand of cookie.

Yes I can
It's a business deal.
Like Safeway selling all their SoCal stores to Vons because they were forced by a corporate raider setting his sights on buying them up & gutting them like he did everyone else. However Vons defaulted on the payments abotu 10 yrs later & Safeway took the SoCal stores back. They've left them named Vons, although all the store-brand stuff inside is Safeway because Safeway had a bad rep for being more expensive than the other food stores in town.

But I'll go another fake story route just to please you
Say the publisher for Harry Potter folded for some reason before book 7 had come out. Another publisher came along & bought up their licenses (not unlike Libre bought up Biblos after they went bankrupt), but they're a paperback company so they release book 7 straight to paperback as a box set of all 7 books.
What do you do? They don't sell hardbacks, so your nicely color-sleeved 6-volume collection is incomplete. In order to get the Highly desired Vol 7, you have to buy a paperback set.
No I don't see it would actually happen, but in the REAL world in the middle of DIRE economic stress, why are you expecting Funi to cater to what may be less than 500 fans of each title? How are they to know where to send the 500 dvds they might press so that the 500 people who did buy it can get their copies?
What if it was 200 people who bought then dvds?
Is it worth their pressing dvds & designing & printing sleeves?

Quote:
You're asking why companies might try to keep their customers happy?

It's ADV's customers, not Funi's. Yeah, they're probably the same, but not necessarily. As I said, I'm sure Funi knows EXACTLY how many or few copies sold of each title & used that in making their decision. Maybe Sojitz just wants the money yesterday on these titles. Maybe they disliked ADV's style of not releasing certain titles for yrs. Once a company makes the box set, does anyone really buy the singles?

I paid $50 for a vanity-press family history. If it were a mass-market book, it might have cost maybe half that.
Would you all be willing to pay Bandai Visual prices to get that last dvd you need? Especially when, sale priced, you could get the 1/2 box for about the list price of a single dvd?

But by all means write Funi. MAYBE they'd be willing to offer a rebate of some sort, say $5 or $10 for people willing to prove they had all 5 ADV copies of a title. Not sure how they'd prove it, maybe make you cut the UPC off the dvd sleeve, thus messing up your dvd collection, but you can try.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
CCS: If ADV had issues with payments, it wouldn't have continued its series as far as it did. And I'm not sure what ADV's yard sales have to do with Sojitz. All companies have excess inventory, and ADV just decided to get rid of it, rather than take the loss. That kept them running a lot longer than Geneon, anyway. And I'm getting tired of this crap over Tactics. That was one of the few titles ADV chose not to release, and they still paid their own money for the dvds, so that another interested buyer like Manga could get it out on time. They didn't just screw people over by forcing them to only see it online like Toei.

Quote:

Geneon DIDN'T fold. The Parent Company closed down an unprofitable division, seeking to contract the business out to local workers.

That's called folding.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Yes, but again, this is a shojo anime with crossover appeal.

Maybe, but that doesn't mean it was actually selling well, and evidence suggests it bombed.

GATSU wrote:

ADV stopped production on a lot of Sojitz titles, including DMC, which actually did make money for them. And there's never been a show they haven't finished-even Dunbine.

They stopped releasing Wallflower while they were still releasing everything else, so Sojitz couldn't be the reason for that. As for Dunbine, all I can say is that that was then and this is now. Times were better for everyone and they could probably afford to lose more then than now.

GATSU wrote:

The fact that they forced ADV to delay their dvds more than once is enough evidence that Sojitz was in the black-mail game.

No, its evidence something weird was going on, but it in no indicates who was at fault or what was going on. Its certainly a far cry from supporting that some company was engaged in a "black-mail game."

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Red Garden had cross-over appeal potential as well. But potential doesn't mean it was actually reaching that.

It made it through five volumes, while Geneon couldn't even get to the fourth volume of Hellsing Ultimate before folding.

What does that have to do with Wallflower or Red Garden selling well? Geneon had major problems of similar nature (Japanese company pulling the plug) but not identical to what ADV had, but that doesn't indicate how well any individual title did. You can't get much more mainstream than Hellsing and it was probably doing very well, but that doesn't mean it can make up for a bunch of other titles doing poorly (like Fighting Spirit).

Red Garden was apparently doing well enough to not get canceled (like Wallflower), but that doesn't mean it was doing well, or well enough for Funi to justify continuing. With singles, sales drop with every volume and situations like what happened to ADV only exasperate that problem. Or maybe ADV was willing to eat a loss on the last few volumes, but Funi wasn't when that was all they would be releasing in singles.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Wallflower bombed for ADV and thus they stopped releasing it after volume 3.

They stopped releasing it, because Sojitz screwed them out of the license.

No. Again, ADV stopped making and releasing it before Sojitz took away all the licenses.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Where is your evidence that ADV was doing just fine and was an innocent victim to Sojitz's shennanigans?

The fact that they got Clannad(and even Kiba) and still managed have stuff to sell for the rest of the year...? It's not like Geneon, where they just bought a bunch of mediocre shows, and stacked them on the shelves.

As I recall, Kiba is licensed by Upper Deck and ADV is just releasing the DVDs for them. Some day. They licensed Clannad after the Sojitz ordeal. And recall that they claimed at an earlier con that they were getting a new backer. In other words, someone else is helping them out, much like Sojitz was before.

But none of that has anything to do with whether or not Sojitz "backstabbed" ADV.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
And what plans would those be? They had it for a while but they never even got around to starting real production or announcing any plans.

See bayoab's response below your response.

I saw that and I recalled hearing something along those lines, though I couldn't recall how official it was. But my point was that they had never gotten to actually dubbing or otherwise producing the DVDs. I didn't mean to imply that they were literally doing nothing with the license like some have suggested, but they hadn't gotten anywhere in terms of actually releasing it. And if a TV deal was a requirement, I'm skeptical we would have ever seen it at all.

Cait wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Cait wrote:

ADV didn't exactly make a "mistake." They didn't drop their licenses or go under because of poor business decisions.

Really? How do you know that? Where is your evidence that ADV was doing just fine and was an innocent victim to Sojitz's shennanigans?

First and foremost, where is your evidence that they weren't? I don't feel like I should be forced to provide "evidence" to support an open claim (especially when my wording was "didn't exactly," not "didn't") when the person demanding said evidence provides nothing to the contrary.

When you make a claim, you need evidence. I wasn't the one making a claim and acting as if it had some sort of merit. I only suggested that people shouldn't be so quick to make assumptions and explained how Sojitz could have been well withing their right to back out. Key word is "could have." I provided a logical basis for it and I'm not saying that's absolutely what happened and dammit I'm right, I'm just asking the people who are doing such things to provide evidence for their opinions before lambasting companies for things they know nothing about.

Cait wrote:
Anyway, as I recall, many of the licenses in question were pulled previously from ADVs site and line-up some time in the middle of the release schedule, then re-added, then finally dropped again just before the street date for NHK volume 5. It's clear that they were trying to work out their licensing deal/issues with Sojitz and were ultimately unable to. In the end, ADV didn't shut down operations as a result of this debacle. They dusted themselves off and licensed some new series. Clearly, my arguments that they "didn't drop their licenses" (since they were taken by Sojitz and sold instead to Funimation) and that they "didn't go under" (considering they are still licensing and releasing titles) are pretty sound. I don't know where the problem with my comments are here.

Okay, and all of that makes sense and is perfectly fine except... how do you know poor business decisions were not part of it? It may have or it may not have been, but we don't know either way. Sojitz must have had some reason for doing what they did; they didn't become the giant they are by making random decisions. If it was just the general economic situation, going to Funi wouldn't have fixed things. I have no idea if it was poor business decisions or something else (I've hear rumors that I'm not going to repeat as I have no idea if they are valid... but they suggest poor decisions on top of other things) but I'm not going to claim it was something when I don't know what it was.

Anyway, you are right that they didn't "drop" the licenses, but your claim that they didn't make any "mistakes" or "poor business decisions" is groundless unless you work(ed) for ADV or someone who would know their situation or know someone who did.

Cait wrote:
When did I mention Red Garden, let alone the UK release? My problem and complaint is specifically in regards to Welcome to the NHK volume 6, in the US. There is no evidence at all that they would "lose money" by doing a limited print run of the volume for the collectors.

You didn't mention the UK, and while showing that it failed there suggests it probably didn't do too hot here either makes some sense, one doesn't necessarily mean the other and its a far cry from proof. But as for Welcome to the NHK, ADV had also stopped the dub for that at one point but apparently started it up again only after it started getting some popularity through Crunchyroll. So it wasn't doing too hot either.

I mentioned before the issue of sales drops and the ADV situation exasperating the problem. That, combined with what where likely poor sales in the first place, are why Funi is doing the sets in the first place. A limited print run sounds nice, but its probably not as easy as it sounds. Pressing DVDs still costs a lot of money and it cots even more per disc for lower print runs. There may even be a minimum number required. The problem is, what if that number is far higher than what they think they can sell? If they have to press 1000 copies but past sales indicate they will sell 700 if everyone that bought the previous volume bought it (highly unlikely), then its pretty hard to justify that. Keep in mind that they likely pressed more for typical runs, so those 1000 would cost more than usual as well.

On the other hand, they can potentially reach customers that never bough them in the first place and thus allowing them to actually make a profit or at least not go in the red on it. And those who bought the original releases can still finish it, even if its in a less than ideal manner. I am not trying to defend everything Funi does or suggest they are perfect (far from it), but lets at least keep this in perspective and understand that what seems like an easy option for Funi may not be as easy or cheap as it seems.

Cait wrote:
I'm mad at everyone involved, though I would take issue with the assumption that this all happened because ADV made all the mistakes and ultimately no one else is to blame for anything.

And I would agree with you completely on that. There is no reason to place the blame entirely at a single company's feet and there is no evidence to suggest who to blame. No one outside of these companies and a few people with insider sources that can't talk really know what happened. And that's why seeing people act like they know what happened and then spew rage vile (not you for this part) with nothing to base it on has grown quite tiring.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri:
Quote:

Maybe, but that doesn't mean it was actually selling well, and evidence suggests it bombed.

No evidence suggested it bombed, because ADV never got to finish it.

Quote:
They stopped releasing Wallflower while they were still releasing everything else, so Sojitz couldn't be the reason for that.

No, they delayed Wallflower, along with everything else.

Quote:
but it in no indicates who was at fault or what was going on. Its certainly a far cry from supporting that some company was engaged in a "black-mail game."

If ADV has to keep changing schedules, because they have to renegotiate with Sojitz, and then Sojitz just jumps ship for their competitor, it's pretty obvious who was at fault.

Quote:
What does that have to do with Wallflower or Red Garden selling well? Geneon had major problems of similar nature (Japanese company pulling the plug) but not identical to what ADV had, but that doesn't indicate how well any individual title did.

Then that also disproves your argument that Wallflower was a "bomb".

Quote:
You can't get much more mainstream than Hellsing and it was probably doing very well, but that doesn't mean it can make up for a bunch of other titles doing poorly (like Fighting Spirit).

Quote:

Red Garden was apparently doing well enough to not get canceled (like Wallflower), but that doesn't mean it was doing well, or well enough for Funi to justify continuing.

If it wasn't doing well enough for FUNi to justify continuing, why did FUNi license it?

Quote:
Again, ADV stopped making and releasing it before Sojitz took away all the licenses

They stopped making the dvds, because they said there were issues with the licensing.

Quote:
And recall that they claimed at an earlier con that they were getting a new backer. In other words, someone else is helping them out, much like Sojitz was before. But none of that has anything to do with whether or not Sojitz "backstabbed" ADV.

If ADV has to look for a new partner, that would suggest that the old partner was, at the very least, unreliable.

Quote:
But my point was that they had never gotten to actually dubbing or otherwise producing the DVDs.

Um, they did dub some of the show.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Hitokiri:
Quote:

No evidence suggested it bombed, because ADV never got to finish it.

There is very strong evidence, as I've pointed out repeatedly. ADV never finished it, but its not just because of the Sojitz issue.

Quote:
Quote:
They stopped releasing Wallflower while they were still releasing everything else, so Sojitz couldn't be the reason for that.

No, they delayed Wallflower, along with everything else.

*sigh* No, it was off the release schedule before the ADV lost the licenses for good. When ADV finally lost all their other titles, volume 3 had been out for nearly two moths and volume 4 was never solicited, even though titles had been solicited past when the next volume should have come out.

Quote:

If ADV has to keep changing schedules, because they have to renegotiate with Sojitz, and then Sojitz just jumps ship for their competitor, it's pretty obvious who was at fault.

No, its not, because we have no idea why they had to renegotiate. If ADV wasn't making enough money to make payments or otherwise wasn't living up to their end of the deal somehow then it was ADV's fault.

Quote:

Then that also disproves your argument that Wallflower was a "bomb".

No, it doesn't because my argument that it was a bomb has nothing to do with ADV losing the titles.

Quote:
You can't get much more mainstream than Hellsing and it was probably doing very well, but that doesn't mean it can make up for a bunch of other titles doing poorly (like Fighting Spirit).

Quote:

If it wasn't doing well enough for FUNi to justify continuing, why did FUNi license it?

Because they saw a way they could make a profit with it, which is what they are doing now (sets).

Quote:

If ADV has to look for a new partner, that would suggest that the old partner was, at the very least, unreliable.

Not necessarily. You are operating under the assumption that ADV's parter must be the one to blame entirely and not a single bit of it could have possibly been ADV's fault.

Quote:
Quote:
But my point was that they had never gotten to actually dubbing or otherwise producing the DVDs.

Um, they did dub some of the show.

Only three versions of one or a few episodes for the sake of pitching it to TV companies. That was all they did and they were not in the process of dubbing more or working towards a DVD release yet.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri:
Quote:

There is very strong evidence, as I've pointed out repeatedly

No you haven't pointed it out. You just said that it bombed, because they stopped making them.

Quote:
When ADV finally lost all their other titles, volume 3 had been out for nearly two moths and volume 4 was never solicited,

And in that same two months, they lost the license.

Quote:
If ADV wasn't making enough money to make payments or otherwise wasn't living up to their end of the deal somehow then it was ADV's fault.

If they weren't making enough money, then the company would just pull the license, not force them to renegotiate.

Quote:
Because they saw a way they could make a profit with it, which is what they are doing now (sets).

By that logic, FUNi would license everything from Geneon and re-release it in sets. But they only picked key shows.

Quote:
You are operating under the assumption that ADV's parter must be the one to blame entirely and not a single bit of it could have possibly been ADV's fault.

Even if ADV had any responsibility in the split, the fact that any one would want to work with them that soon shows that they have a good record. The only reason any one would want to work with Sojitz is because they have the product.

Quote:
Only three versions of one or a few episodes for the sake of pitching it to TV companies. That was all they did and they were not in the process of dubbing more or working towards a DVD release yet.

And FUNimation wasn't working towards a dvd release of OP when it dubbed some of the show. What's your point?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
wow! they continue singles of karin and when they cry from where geneon left them but not the sojitz shows? this is absolute bs considering i own all but the last volume of EACH show...
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
EVER?
Do you know how many dvds I got from them that were drilled or cut thru the price signalling they were returned stock (which is probably why ADV was selling them for $5)? Do you know how many I received with Best Buy price tags still on them?

Umm... no. They may indeed have been returns, but the drill holes were not a signal of such. ADV itself drilled those holes once a fire sale order was made. They do this so that small time retailers can't buy a bunch of discs for $5 each and then turn around and sell them for $15. I am sure you have made orders from Rightstuf, and I don't know how many times I got Best Buy stickers, FYE, etc. on my discs but never once was there any drill holes. In fact in the fine print of one of those ADV sales they pretty much said the same thing I just did. You are probably thinking about the bookstore practice of ripping covers off of books when requesting credit or just throwing away stock. But it's different with DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

When the repo man is out there hooking that car up to the tow truck it seems a lot of people try to talk him out of doing it.
If the issue on Sojitz side was missed payments, why the hell should they deal? The problem is on our side none of us know what was going on. For all any of us know, ADV had been late a couple times on their payment, or asked if they could make an interest only payment a couple times. I really can't believe Sojitz would switch business partners over 1 missed or late payment. ADV posting those titles back up could have been optimistic on their part like a gambler positive the next throw of the dice or pull of that handle will win big. Maybe ADV hoped they could buy the individual titles they had partially released & Sojitz would shop the rest. Who knows what was going thru their minds?

I'm not at all sure what that has to do with my statements. I was making two points: 1. ADV didn't "drop" the licenses, Sojitz took them back, and 2. ADV did not go under after this happened, considering they are still around. Both statements are true and beyond that I was saying nothing more. I was defending someone else's claim that I had made some sort of baseless statement. Why am I getting a lecture about it?

Quote:
All YOU care about is NHK. To hell with the collectors of Red Garden or any other title ADV didn't finish, right? Special dispensation for YOU, everyone else just go away.

Oh my dear Lord, I know you didn't just claim that I don't give a damn about anyone but myself. That is seriously bordering on the directly insulting. My arguments and my basis for understanding come from my direct experience with one and only one of the titles in question. I left information and debate on the other subjects to other people because I have zero basis to do so myself. Please do not jump to the conclusion that that means I am some kind of selfish prick that only sees the world from one perspective.

Quote:

COMMON SENSE
It costs money to press dvds & ship them out to stores only to see them returned by the store a few months later.
Even a mail-in program just to please you all would be nice, but it encompasses a lot of work for Funi, possibly more than it's worth.
It's been stated many times sales numbers are a closely guarded secret, but I would assume Sojitz has the numbers of what sold for these titles thus Funi knows damned well whether it's worth the effort or not to do singles. With Geneon, Funi is distributing Geneon product so it was in Geneon's interest to sell singles, though we are being moved over to boxes. I really wouldn't mind if they split Shonen Onmyoji at the halfway point because, as I said, because I have 2100 anime dvds, I double-row them-singles in back row, boxes in front & turn the solid back of the box facing out. If the box has room, it doesn't bother me. I usually shove something else into the space-a related manga, a similar title. On Gundam Seed, it's other Gundam titles.

Again, another lecture about things I already know and don't need to hear. From what I have gathered from Funimation from the multitude of statements they have made at conventions this convention season, they are "trying" knew approaches to anime sales. They haven't found the "silver bullet" that will save anime DVD sales, they are using box sets and price points and different kinds of digital distribution methods (including free streams of some episodes) to test the waters and "see what works." There is no basis for evidence that their decision to only release NHK and Red Garden as box sets and not any singles is based on any different concept than their recent business plan. The plan hasn't been in the works or practice anywhere near long enough for them to have decided or observed that it is working or will work in the long run.

And I know that the articles relevant to my claims here exist on ANN, and I apologize that I don't have the energy to look for them. I just got home from a 14 hour shift and I simply don't have the energy to go hunting (writing this reply is pretty much the only thing I will have time for before I pass out). Seriously, Funimation picked probably the single worst week this month to do something that I didn't like, and I'm not afraid to admit that my anger is based as much on stress and fatigue as it is on customer dissatisfaction.

Quote:

EVER?

Yeah, ADV was doing sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo well.

I think I saw someone else respond to this point, and I would add that merchandise stock gets returned by retailers all the time. Sometimes they simply over-estimate how much they need and don't want to hold onto the items in their warehouses taking up space. It doesn't mean that ADV was doing so poorly that they were "desperate," but of course, I don't have any real evidence to say one way or the other why this occured.

Quote:
Oh my god.
You think I don't know what it's like to have titles vanish?
I don't have 3 volumes of Air Master on my shelf.
I don't have 2 volumes of Bobobo on my shelf.
I don't have 2 volumes of BTx on my shelf.
I don't have 3 volumes of YuGiOh uncut on my shelf.
I don't have 2 volumes of Shaman King uncut on my shelf.
I don't still have the 7 or 8 single dvds of remastered Saiyan Saga DBZ on my shelf from before Funi changed their mind & decided to issue the sets in boxes only.
I don't have the 12 dvds ADV gave us of Saint Seiya ending about 20 eps shy of the ending of the story arc & encompassing only 60 of the 120 or so Saint Seiya TV series eps.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I've never been left hanging.

Um, if you think that I somehow led you to believe that I claimed that you hadn't, I apologize. I still, however, claim the right to complain on an open forum about something I am unhappy about. You should feel free to do the same.

Quote:
As I pointed out.
1 single dvd list price $29.95.
1 $49.95 list box set 40% off-10%customer discount=$27.
So you're maybe paying about $10 more than you would to get the single in the same sale ($16.19) & you end up with 2 copies of 2 of the dvds, at least you can finish your set.
MY GOD I'd LOVE for someone to offer a sub-only box of Shaman King.
Same for Saint Seiya

This is a matter of principle. Not only do I not have the luxury of buying two extra DVDs (regardless of how much cheaper per volume they are), I am not about to give credibility to Funimation's hypothesis that box sets are the way to go or allow them to believe that it is okay to ask fans who already own partial sets to repurchase parts of them. I simply won't do it and if that means my NHK collection remains unfinished on my DVD shelf (with the "**** you, Funimation" empty DVD case in the open slot), then so be it. But I am not going to be happy about it and I will say it again: I have every right to be unhappy and I have every right to complain about it.

Quote:
Look at how many people have been irritated with ADV over their release style. Titles announced as licensed, but then never released. ADV invested in the production of some of these titles-such as Tactics-but then shelved them (I was so happy when they announced Tactics & so angry a couple yrs later when they announced they were dropping it. Thank god they finally sold it to Manga, but it was dubtitles & ADV's dub so I assume they're to blame for those dubtitles)
How many other titles did they invest in on the ground level & then drop?
How many titles did they invest in at the ground level & not break even on after dubbing & releasing?
If they knew there was an issue, why did ADV continue to dub these titles instead of playing it safe, cutting their losses & clearing up the titles.
Why did ADV have so much trouble getting titles on tv? Just about every other licensing studio manages to have several titles on International, CN, IFC, Action, but ADV rarely managed to? Could it have been their big idea of their Anime Network? Asking too much? It wasn't that they didn't have good titles, but there had to be a reason, don't you think?

I don't know and I'm not here to hypothosize about it, either. It could be any number of factors, including the possibility that this licensing debacle with Sojitz is in fact some kind of a part of ADV "trimming the fat" to try to stay afloat. What I do know is that ADV is still around, still licensing and still distributing titles.
Cait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

When you make a claim, you need evidence. I wasn't the one making a claim and acting as if it had some sort of merit. I only suggested that people shouldn't be so quick to make assumptions and explained how Sojitz could have been well withing their right to back out. Key word is "could have." I provided a logical basis for it and I'm not saying that's absolutely what happened and dammit I'm right, I'm just asking the people who are doing such things to provide evidence for their opinions before lambasting companies for things they know nothing about.

Yes, and my point was that the only claims I was making in the statement you quoted and asked me to provide you evidence for were not "baseless." I made two statements: 1. Sojitz took the licenses from ADV, ADV didn't "drop" them, and 2. ADV has not "gone under" as a result. Both are true. Where is the issue you are having?

Quote:
Anyway, you are right that they didn't "drop" the licenses, but your claim that they didn't make any "mistakes" or "poor business decisions" is groundless unless you work(ed) for ADV or someone who would know their situation or know someone who did.

Okay, I see the problem here. I made the mistake of starting a statement and then not continuing it because I didn't want to get into some kind of drawn out debate about ADV's business practices (since I do have little evidence, and frankly I don't care all that much to defend or attack anyone about it), but of course this is exactly what it has turned into. I apologize that "didn't exactly" isn't differentiable from "didn't" and I drop the argument.

Quote:
You didn't mention the UK, and while showing that it failed there suggests it probably didn't do too hot here either makes some sense, one doesn't necessarily mean the other and its a far cry from proof. But as for Welcome to the NHK, ADV had also stopped the dub for that at one point but apparently started it up again only after it started getting some popularity through Crunchyroll. So it wasn't doing too hot either.

I mentioned before the issue of sales drops and the ADV situation exasperating the problem. That, combined with what where likely poor sales in the first place, are why Funi is doing the sets in the first place. A limited print run sounds nice, but its probably not as easy as it sounds. Pressing DVDs still costs a lot of money and it cots even more per disc for lower print runs. There may even be a minimum number required. The problem is, what if that number is far higher than what they think they can sell? If they have to press 1000 copies but past sales indicate they will sell 700 if everyone that bought the previous volume bought it (highly unlikely), then its pretty hard to justify that. Keep in mind that they likely pressed more for typical runs, so those 1000 would cost more than usual as well.

On the other hand, they can potentially reach customers that never bough them in the first place and thus allowing them to actually make a profit or at least not go in the red on it. And those who bought the original releases can still finish it, even if its in a less than ideal manner. I am not trying to defend everything Funi does or suggest they are perfect (far from it), but lets at least keep this in perspective and understand that what seems like an easy option for Funi may not be as easy or cheap as it seems.

I know all that, but firstly, I'm just peeved about it. I want to complain and I don't want anyone telling me that I can't be unhappy or voice that unhappiness. And secondly, there's just something inside of me that is telling me that Funimation's decision isn't based on cost/risk, it's based on their obsession with their new business model and imposing that plan blanketedly on all their upcoming titles. Whether that is based on reality or not, I can't say for sure, but I do know that I will not be paying for a three disc set to own one DVD that I need to complete my collection. As a result, I am simply displeased. I weighed my pride against my desire to own NHK volume 6 and I found out that I'm not willing to throw away that pride (not that I am using "pride" as a positive thing here). It's infuriatingly frustrating.

Quote:

And I would agree with you completely on that. There is no reason to place the blame entirely at a single company's feet and there is no evidence to suggest who to blame. No one outside of these companies and a few people with insider sources that can't talk really know what happened. And that's why seeing people act like they know what happened and then spew rage vile (not you for this part) with nothing to base it on has grown quite tiring.

And I'm glad that we agree on something as well. I'll have you know that on the DVD sleeve I made for the empty case filling the volume 6 slot in my NHK artbox, it might say something vulgar about Funimation on the spine, but on the back I made sure to make clear my displeasure with both ADV and Sojitz as well (there was just not enough room on the spine for all three of them...). It might be childish of me to do this, but it does make me feel a little better, and hey, maybe some day Funimation or someone else will change their minds and release volume 6 as a single and then I can gladly take the thing out of there.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
But I'll go another fake story route just to please you
Say the publisher for Harry Potter folded for some reason before book 7 had come out. Another publisher came along & bought up their licenses (not unlike Libre bought up Biblos after they went bankrupt), but they're a paperback company so they release book 7 straight to paperback as a box set of all 7 books.
What do you do? They don't sell hardbacks, so your nicely color-sleeved 6-volume collection is incomplete. In order to get the Highly desired Vol 7, you have to buy a paperback set.
No I don't see it would actually happen, but in the REAL world in the middle of DIRE economic stress, why are you expecting Funi to cater to what may be less than 500 fans of each title? How are they to know where to send the 500 dvds they might press so that the 500 people who did buy it can get their copies?
What if it was 200 people who bought then dvds?
Is it worth their pressing dvds & designing & printing sleeves?

I find this comparison guilty on two counts of flawed.

-ADV didn't fold. For the third time, I would be happy for anything we got if ADV had gone the way of Geneon. They didn't though.

-I could still buy just book 7, unlike disk 6, without re-buying a whole bunch of the previous ones. It would be accurate if they opted to only release the 7th book as part of a set with books 5 and 6.

Quote:
Quote:
You're asking why companies might try to keep their customers happy?

It's ADV's customers, not Funi's.

Well, not if this is how they treat em anyway...
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
CCS: If ADV had issues with payments, it wouldn't have continued its series as far as it did.

Why wouldn't they continue if they believed they could sweet-talk Sojitz. I pointed out Repo men. Why don't people just turn over that car when they realize they can't make the payment? How far behind on a mortgage does one get before realizing one is never going to catch up?

I seem to recall a running complaint that ADV was pretty good at licensing things like Kurau Phantom Memory (announced 7/04) years before they were released (3 yrs later), I waited about year for Tactics before they admitted they dropped it. I waited patiently for Sgt Frog. It was announced a good year or more before the Sojitz deal went south.

I said we don't know what happened. Presumably ADV did something allowing Sojitz to pull out or I'm sure we'd see ADV & Funi on an anime version of what's going on with Citibank & Wells Fargo over Wachovia. The only other option is the contract had an escape clause for Sojitz (or maybe both parties) & Sojitz exercised it, although it seems strange to include wording in a binding contract to allow one of the parties to walk whenever they felt like it.

ANother way to put it might be ADV was buying the blueprints to 30 cars & for whatever reason the car dealership legally exercised an option allowing them to break the contract & sell the blueprints to another party. ADV had produced & sold some models under the belief all the i's were dotted & all the t's were crossed, but they weren't.

I was told by someone at Suncoast yrs ago dvds are drilled when they return them. You all say that's wrong. No problem. ADV is the most robust anime licensee in the US. They've made so much money, they've just decided to keep a low profile, cut their releases, etc. They're taking a well-deserved vacation.

GATSU wrote:

That's called folding.

Going back to the link HitokiriShadow made on page 7 to the AoD message board on the Funi releases of Saiunkoku--
--Official Funi Rep--Industry Representative--
Quote:
While FUNimation is distributing this series on DVD, all of the production work remains with Geneon. So you can expect a consistent treatment as established with the first 2 volumes that originally released last year.

How does a company that has FOLDED still produce dvds?
Geneon CLOSED a division. They didn't cease to exist.

Quote:
This is a matter of principle. Not only do I not have the luxury of buying two extra DVDs (regardless of how much cheaper per volume they are), I am not about to give credibility to Funimation's hypothesis that box sets are the way to go or allow them to believe that it is okay to ask fans who already own partial sets to repurchase parts of them. I simply won't do it and if that means my NHK collection remains unfinished on my DVD shelf (with the "**** you, Funimation" empty DVD case in the open slot), then so be it. But I am not going to be happy about it and I will say it again: I have every right to be unhappy and I have every right to complain about it.

You can be righteously indignant all you want, but you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. At least you have the options of finishing (or not) these titles. It may not be in the format you desired, but if the title means enough to you, you can buy it. If all else fails, you could use the 2 duplicate dvds as target practice or coasters. (Although Funi's style is to put 13 eps on 2 dvds actually, so it's not exactly 2 spare dvds). THere was talk at one time Funi was going to re-dub the titles, otherwise one would think they'd have to negotiate with ADV for their work.
As I said, I'd be so damned happy if someone would offer Shaman King even if I had to buy a box set that included the 2 dvds I have, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Same for Bobobo or BTX. Hell, if I could guarantee get the whiole thing, I'd buy a box-set of Saint Seiya even though I have half the show as released by ADV (In fact, I even have the 8 or 10 Knights of the Zodiac dub only cut to hell dvds so I already have 2 versions of the title.)
At least someone is offering the titles in some form. Sojitz could have just said the US market is a lost cause & gone home to Japan without making a deal with anyone else.

Quote:
wow! they continue singles of karin and when they cry from where geneon left them but not the sojitz shows? this is absolute bs considering i own all but the last volume of EACH show...

Aren't those Geneon titles? See the Funi Rep's comments off the link on page 7 of this thread

Quote:
-I could still buy just book 7, unlike disk 6, without re-buying a whole bunch of the previous ones. It would be accurate if they opted to only release the 7th book as part of a set with books 5 and 6.

I said-
Quote:
they release book 7 straight to paperback as a box set of all 7 books.

My teen's friend was complaining she loved the cinnamon granola bars from Nature Valley, but they only sell them in our area in the variety box & she hates the Peanut Butter ones so she hates buying the variety box just to get the cinnamon ones. However, she does because she has no other option. I swear Nature Valley used to sell the Cinnamon bars by themselves, but apparently it didn't sell enough so they stopped or the local stores don't stock them because they don't sell here.
Life in the jungle.
It's their bat & ball so they make the rules. I still say you might be successful pitching a rebate to Funi. Complain about the injustice & see if they will give you a buck or 2 per UPC off each of the ADV dvds. Or maybe like the Bobobo return, maybe they'll ask you to submit the 2 ADV dvds for a rebate. I see Best Buy is offering a similar deal if one buys Sleeping Beauty on Blu-Ray & then turns in a used Disney dvd, they'll send one a $10 giftcard.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I said-
Quote:
they release book 7 straight to paperback as a box set of all 7 books.

My teen's friend was complaining she loved the cinnamon granola bars from Nature Valley, but they only sell them in our area in the variety box & she hates the Peanut Butter ones so she hates buying the variety box just to get the cinnamon ones. However, she does because she has no other option. I swear Nature Valley used to sell the Cinnamon bars by themselves, but apparently it didn't sell enough so they stopped or the local stores don't stock them because they don't sell here.
Life in the jungle.
It's their bat & ball so they make the rules.

What are you rambling about? These little one liners like "life in the jungle" and "it's their bat & ball" sound all snappy but that's about it. I mean what does that even have to do with what we're talking about? It's just a hollow dismissal of any complaint. Yeah, it's their choice and we have to accept it. That doesn't really have any bearing on whether we ought to be angry that they made that choice.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11