• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Red Garden, NHK to End in Boxes, Not Single DVDs

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bika-chan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
All of these long quotes and posts aside....

All I know is that Red Garden is the first anime series I started to buy after watching the first episode on Anime Network's AOD service when the one episode was the only one available. Now that they pulled this crap with the final volume, I think I'll just stick with fansubs now...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Bika-chan wrote:
All of these long quotes and posts aside...

Apparently, you neglected to read the one post that matters. Razz
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Bika-chan wrote:

Yes and I'm intregued that this thread isn't locked by now.
Bika-chan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Bika-chan wrote:

Ah, thank you for that. I kinda stopped reading the posts at page 8 for...well, for obvious reasons, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Bika-chan wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Bika-chan wrote:

Ah, thank you for that. I kinda stopped reading the posts at page 8 for...well, for obvious reasons, I guess.
Not reading an entire thread was a banning offence not too long ago. Wink
Cait

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki, thank you for the fascinating explanation of the whole ADV/Sojitz issue. There were things in there that I think I remember hearing about, but much information that was completely new to me. I'd also be fascinated to learn what that hinted at title at the end of your post is...

Also, thank you for your much more eloquent clarification than I could manage for CCS about why a collector would still be angry about not being able to finish a box set with single DVDs.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:

I think that what you were missing in the process of trying to make points with cookies and granola bars is that people were annoyed at having a blown (MSRP) $159.90 investment in filling an artbox with DVDs that were eventually supposed to cost (MSRP) $189.88. When the ante is upped on them to say that their cost to complete the series will be (MSRP) $219.88 for part of what they origiinally collected plus half of what anyone else can now get for (MSRP) $119.96. That's $100 extra to have an incomplete artbox and half of a product that they never wanted. That does make it an exhorbinant price for a very unattractive amalgamation to end up with on your shelves.

I don't even think about what I have invested in my collection of over 2100 anime dvds & 2300 volumes of manga, not to mention the artbooks from Japan (uncounted, but has to be at least 100-200).

No. I'm not a collector.
I haven't had titles left unfinished.

Remember, I was/am a supporter of Bandai Visual. I take the "Whatever, if it gets me the title I want" approach to anime.
And I have never downloaded, so that's not part of the "whatever" We were smack in the middle of Haruka & SRW when BV was folded into Bandai. Yes, I did worry I wasn't going to see the end of yet another series.

We probably will never, ever know what happened between Sojitz & ADV. It's pretty suspicious ADV laid employees off, killed Newtype USA, etc. about that time, but it's all speculation they might have been having a cash-flow problem. All one can assume is whatever happened was legal or ADV would have squaked when Sojitz took the titles to another buyer.

MokonaModoki wrote:

Luckily for us, Funimation has recognized the problem, seen that it shouldn't be considered a dead end issue, and elected to not treat the existing fans of these programs like children or felons.

I thought a lot of people who post here are young.

You'd be surprised. Most of my clients are people who made a mistake anyone here could make. Drunk Driving. Drug use. Hanging with friends who wind up doing something stupid. However, the problem is a lot of them just take longer to learn than others & keep making those mistakes. Blame others for their problems.

But it's moot. Funi responded in a positive manner. But it was their decision & everyone here should be very grateful for that decision.
Agoston

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's pretty interesting that they actually made an account here just to post in this thread, you don't see that everyday.
Bika-chan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
It was amazing! I sent them a thank you email just now. Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:00 am Reply with quote
Agoston wrote:
Wow, that's pretty interesting that they actually made an account here just to post in this thread, you don't see that everyday.
We have two UK reps that post in our UK news site. I think there isn't enough of them.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Agoston wrote:

Actually, we do see that a lot here.

EDIT: Locking for redundancy and to prevent further misunderstandings. Topic continues here: Funimation to ship single volumes for ADV titles ~Zalis]

(edit made to this post to avoid bumping the thread)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11