• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2008 Anime Preview Guide Part 1

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Second coming of ZnT would be closer to the mark. J.C Staff knows this show will appeal to a certain group and it will do well with them... but there's a reason why "To Aru Majutsu no Index" is getting the budget and Toradora the "leftovers".

I'd imagine Nodame's still getting the bulk of their funds though.
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
In response to Casey's question on Clannad, and why have more, it's because Nagisa's story has more to tell than what the first season gave. It doesn't end with the two of them getting together, and the rest of this season is there to show that. I won't say why, but if you wiki it, you'll see the explanation there.

From what I'm seeing here, though. The show seems vastly more popular in Japan than it is here, which I find to be kinda disappointing. I love the show a lot, as most of the characters show a different kind of personality that isn't usually seen in anime romance shows. But as is always the case, to each their own.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
The reason why Clannad got a second series was because the first only told the first half of the game.

Yes, the game is THAT long.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Busaiku Chama wrote:
Westlo wrote:
Second coming of ZnT would be closer to the mark. J.C Staff knows this show will appeal to a certain group and it will do well with them... but there's a reason why "To Aru Majutsu no Index" is getting the budget and Toradora the "leftovers".

I'd imagine Nodame's still getting the bulk of their funds though.

They kinda skimped on the first season a bit though... *shudders at that awful cg hands*
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
But all the music sure would cost them.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I drop off the anime radar for literally the entire spring season, come back, and am already starting to look at the fall reviews Wink

Thanks for the great article(and new format) again. I'm hoping a few things clear up for me in this season of Clannad. I was a little unimpressed with the show as a whole, but it was all right(anything KyoAni does I'll atleast watch for the beautiful animation). I still don't understand (first season only)spoiler[the odd fantasy references with the girl and robot, which inturn seems to be the play Nagisa does in the ending. I mean, is that all there is to it? This is a play she's thought about and in the end, acts out? It seemed to get too much air time for just that] I assumed the anime was going to be more like Air, with a hint of magic around them, and it doesn't quite turn out to be the case, even though it almost seemed like it wanted to...

At this point I need to go back and go through all the reviews for last season once again to catch up on what I missed.
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
I still don't understand (first season only)spoiler[the odd fantasy references with the girl and robot, which inturn seems to be the play Nagisa does in the ending. I mean, is that all there is to it? This is a play she's thought about and in the end, acts out? It seemed to get too much air time for just that] I assumed the anime was going to be more like Air, with a hint of magic around them, and it doesn't quite turn out to be the case, even though it almost seemed like it wanted to...

There's more to that story than the first season revealed so far and it ties into Nagisa's story much more than just the theater scene near the end of the first series. Without spoiling too much, you'll find out the purpose of those scenes at the end of this season.
minakichan

That time again already, huh?

Nothing really excites me. Maybe Skip Beat or Kuroshijitsu? We'll see.
MorwenLaicoriel

I actually might have to check out Toradora! It sounds like the sweet-hearted Yakuza kid from Ouran got his own romantic comedy. If the characters remain as strong as they appear to be by the reviews I'll probably enjoy it. I have a bit of a weakness for romantic comedies as long as they're not TOO generic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
I drop off the anime radar for literally the entire spring season, come back, and am already starting to look at the fall reviews Wink

Thanks for the great article(and new format) again. I'm hoping a few things clear up for me in this season of Clannad. I was a little unimpressed with the show as a whole, but it was all right(anything KyoAni does I'll atleast watch for the beautiful animation). I still don't understand (first season only)spoiler[the odd fantasy references with the girl and robot, which inturn seems to be the play Nagisa does in the ending. I mean, is that all there is to it? This is a play she's thought about and in the end, acts out? It seemed to get too much air time for just that] I assumed the anime was going to be more like Air, with a hint of magic around them, and it doesn't quite turn out to be the case, even though it almost seemed like it wanted to...

At this point I need to go back and go through all the reviews for last season once again to catch up on what I missed.

spoiler[The secondary fantasy plot isn't going to come full circle until later in this season. The alternate world with the junk doll and the girl is however, what will influence the events coming in the future.]

I really can't explain much more than that without spoiling it. I've yet to play the game myself, but I've gotten a few rough script translations here and there to find that the ending is suiting to it all but again, I can't say much without spoiling anything. Reviewing the season would definitely help, because I doubt there's going to be any more flashbacks in terms of reminding people what's happened.

Megiddo wrote:
The reason why Clannad got a second series was because the first only told the first half of the game.

Yes, the game is THAT long.

another thing to point out is that the game is like a literal novel... I mean all visual novels are.

It took me 18 hours to finish reading all of Banquet of the Golden Witch, so I imagine Clannad is at least twice or three times the length of the first chapter of Umineko. There's a large underestimation of the size of these plots by american audiences. Granted a lot of it is detail, only half, maybe 1/4th gets presented in the visual portion of the story when in anime form.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
gossymer wrote:
I was just wondering if y'all would be reviewing ANY of the following, but especially Kuroshitsuji:

Kuroshitsuji
    Kurogane no Linebarrel
    Hakushaku to Yousei
    Tytania
    Michiko To Hatchin
    Skip Beat
    Casshern SINS
    Mouryou no Hako
    Ga-rei-zero
    Yozakura Shijuusou ~Yozakura Quartet~
    Switch
    CHAOS; HEAD

i doubt they will do Michiko to Hatchin, it doesn't come out until the 15th.

in my opinion, Casshern Sins is great so far. you can tell Madhouse really went out of the way for this one. if they can maintain this level of quality, it could be the best show this season.

am i missing something about Toradora? this show looks beyond generic, and yet everyone is hyping it up.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Gee, somehow I don't think that Zac likes Linebarrels all that much. Laughing

I am going to have to say that Toradora looks like it might be interesting to watch.

But of the other titles posted thus far...meh.
Flaed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, Zac's review of Linebarrels of Iron pretty much sums up my reaction to the trailer they streamed. Laughing At least the trailer was honest? Then again, Hisashi Hirai (the man who can draw only one face) and ALI PROJECT (the band that can write only one song) should have also been tip-offs, I guess. . . . Ugh. How disappointing; I guess I was sort of hoping the trailer would turn out to be misleading.

Still, I wish someone other than Gonzo would try these legal streams. It's a good idea, but none of the shows they've used thus far have stood out at all to me (I only ever tried one and never past the first episode), and Linebarrels of Iron seems to be the epitome of the kind of mediocrity Gonzo's become associated with by now.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to those answering my questions. I figured there was more to the story than we were getting, but couldn't be sure. I also was under the impression that the first season was most of the material(and the second season was more or less extra and a concrete ending) but by the sounds of things, it definitely was not the whole picture.

I pretty much hate watching week to week though so I have half a year to rewatch the first season before I get to this next one.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And besides, aren't Tomoya and Nagisa an item already? Even diehard Key fans will be asking, “What is the point of more?”

This made me chuckle, considering that, as a diehard Key fanboy, I couldn't wait to see the After Story animated.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22