• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2008 Anime Preview Guide Part 1

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Apparently "a certain group that still does Naruto and Bleach fansubs" was going to do Yozakura Quartet, but dropped it before they even started. In their words:
Quote:
We obtained the raw and after watching it decided that the show was, after 55 seconds, no longer worth our effort and our hearts just weren't in it. Part of it had to do with the terrible standard definition video, part with the terrible story, part with the boring fights and largely static animation, and part with the weak voice actors

Not that I have a lot of respect for "their" opinions (since this group loves to stir up trouble), but that's not a glowing first impression. Might be why the subs are taking so long to come around.

Emerje

Drat, that's disappointing. I was hoping for more from that show, the summaries sounded promising.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Sydney2K wrote:
Sydney2K wrote:
Would it be possible to have a ratings table at the bottom of the front page, columnists (and avatar) as columns and shows as rows, with the number of stars for the current episode reviews. That way one can see the scores at a glance, without having to look for the score at the end of each review.

sifface wrote:
I wonder if it was possible to list the reviews by anime rather than by reviewer? It would be nice to compare the reviews of a series in the same screen. I know I can open a seperate screen for each reviewer and compare them one by one but its not the same....

Would it be possible for one of the editors or staff to address the suggestions Sifface and I posted a while ago?

Widya Santoso

That's how the season preview format used to be in years past. Recently they've started using the current format. I like the new way better since it allows for more views, the old format was usually one or two peoples opinions and seemed to cover fewer shows.

I'm glad that this year they've "corrected" my "issue" with the spring '08 guide by putting new reviews at the top rather than the bottom. I do miss the great image captions though. Anime smile

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
That paragraph could easily be trolling from them though so don't take it for much till you've actually seen the show..
Elwood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
That paragraph could easily be trolling from them though so don't take it for much till you've actually seen the show..

It's something they are well known for. I'm still amazed at all the Naruto and Bleach fans that believe them when they say that they are going to drop the shows.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
The are the only people I can think of who have become so ridiculously elitist over to long running shounen shows with more filler than story so I don't take their word for anything and I don't recommend anyone else to either Rolling Eyes . Seriously worse story than the naruto fillers? It wouldn't even have been considered to become an anime if that was the case.
poonk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
...and I'm sad that no one mentions the epicness that is Bump of Chicken.
I love BoC! It has nothing to do with anime, or this thread, but I had to say it.

Anyway, I'm glad Kurushitsuji seems to be making an overall positive first impression-- I was interested when I first heard of it, but promptly forgot about it up until now. This and the second season of Junjou Romantica (finally, Junjou Terrorist!) are the only 2 fall series that interest me so far. Well, maybe Hakushaku to Yousei (Count and Fairy) too.

As an aside: I had to laugh reading Zac's review of the Clannad sequel because it reminds of that episode of The Twilight Zone where the townspeople would only say bland niceities to the evil little telekinetic boy for fear of being "sent to the cornfield." Oh god-- ANN doesn't have a cornfield, does it?

Last edited by poonk on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Now I understand that it was all the quiet sexualization of what should have been innocent scenes. Looking at it again I find it downright creepy. Thanks for pointing that out because it was driving me crazy.

wow, you must be really innocent if you didn't realize this. (this is not an insult oO ) I disliked Kyo no Go no Ni for the same reasons ... only the part with the collarbones was funny ^^;;

I suppose I am. I look at series about little kids and expect them to be about little kids. Since I'm watching for the cuteness factor I tend not to even see sexualization unless it's blatant.

maaya wrote:
sunflower wrote:
So far I've not found much for me this season, but of the eleven shows I was slightly interested in only two have aired, so I'm still hoping. Smile

If you liked Saiunkoku Monogatari, shouldn't Kannagi be something you could like?

From the comments it sounded like a magical girl series, which I tend not to like (Princess Tutu excepted). But if you think it's similar in tone to SM I'll give it a shot.

Other series I'm interested in:

Ga-Rei -Zero-
Hakushaku to Yousei
Kurozuka
Tentai Tenshi Sunred-maybe
Zettai Yareru Grecia Shinwa
Kuroshitsuji
Skip Beat!
Vampire Knight Guilty

I liked Kuroshitsuji, the only one of these I've seen, because it's a very strange mix of styles and seems deeper than meets the eye.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
maaya wrote:

oh, somehow I thought you -or at least some of you- were watching the shows raw (I dunno why, maybe because the reviews came out so fast ...), but then I understand. But it's still sad, that Yozakura has been overlooked by fansubbers so far, eventhough it was one of the first series to air ... while other shows already have 2 or more subbed versions v.v Well, we can only wait then ...

Apparently "a certain group that still does Naruto and Bleach fansubs" was going to do Yozakura Quartet, but dropped it before they even started. In their words:
Quote:
We obtained the raw and after watching it decided that the show was, after 55 seconds, no longer worth our effort and our hearts just weren't in it. Part of it had to do with the terrible standard definition video, part with the terrible story, part with the boring fights and largely static animation, and part with the weak voice actors

Not that I have a lot of respect for "their" opinions (since this group loves to stir up trouble), but that's not a glowing first impression. Might be why the subs are taking so long to come around.er

Emerje

I suppose that is a joke, because the description doesn't fit the series, especially after 55 seconds xD The opening of Yozakura explains the setting and then shows the main character Hime sitting in a giant Kanji character (like those carved into temples etc. ), which I thought was simply beautiful and creative. I don't remember any fighting (at the beginning) ... nor any static animation. It looked good and the characters were interesting. Voice actors did a good job. And the Opening is great Anime hyper So yea, I also believe they are joking.

however their description sounds quite a bit like Shikabane hime Anime hyper

Now I found some softsubs for Yozakura which look quite good.

sunflower wrote:
From the comments it sounded like a magical girl series, which I tend not to like (Princess Tutu excepted). But if you think it's similar in tone to SM I'll give it a shot.

Kannagi not a magical girl series. Ok, the main girl is a goddess and apparently a magical girl fan. But that was one of the best jokes of the first episode. ^^ It's nothing like your typical magical girl series, it's slice of life comedy with a bit of japanese mythologie. Imho Casshern and Magical Index are also worth checking out. ^^ And I love Princess Tutu =)

I tried Black Butler, but can't really tell where the series is going yet, so I'll wait a few more eps to see if I like it. First episode was weird, going from funny to really creepy ...
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:35 am Reply with quote
What's with the bashing of MIDI, though?

How many anime (or other television) soundtracks consist of recordings of actual performances anyway?
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:36 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Ryllharu wrote:

It might add to the professionalism of these preview/reviews if some of the reviewers did not act like the jaded fans all of us have become over the years, and reviewed the respective series at least pretending it was the first of its kind. It helps add a lot to the objectiveness of the review, and acts as a much better gauge of a series' worth.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever heard.

You want the critics to literally lie to their audience, blatantly go out of their way to sell the show to people who don't understand that it might be a lazy rehash of a formula that's been run into the ground.

That isn't criticism, it's marketing.

Yeah, Zac, you had me right up to here. Granted his wording could have been better, but this poster made a very insightful comment that you simply bitch-slapped, minus your usual debate skills.

Your job is, in fact, to make the experience fresh for each new generation. If Roger Ebert one day said, "you know, I'm tired of the same old formula movies, and never watch movies unless I have to review them, really, and in fact just review them because it pays the rent", who would care what he said? My impression is that Roger Ebert LOVES film, and that it still gets him out of bed every morning after half a century, notwithstanding I'm sure the occasional face-palm. What I don't get that he is, is a CYNIC.

How many movies has Ebert reviewed, and how many anime shows have you reviewed? And do you ever get the idea from Ebert that he's "tired" of movies? Do you feel like "it's all been done before"? No, because he reviews shows in present time, not in the past. Sure, he references past shows, but he knows that every day there is a new fan that's too young to have seen American Beauty yet, much less Casablanca.

My own experience with anime? I started 15 months ago. How many series have I not seen? How much do I look forward to some "veteran" telling me how everything sucks today because it's derivative? How valuable is that opinion to me? I don't expect Ebert's level of scholarship, but I do expect some care for the critic's profession and some respect for the audience.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:19 am Reply with quote
Haha!

I like your review Zac, some may think that it's a bit vague but you chose interesting way of saying: "If you liked it before, you will like it now. Same if you didn't like it". Quite innovating review.
Uthred

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quote
knuck wrote:
animehermit wrote:
I wouldn't call Code Geass or Gurren Lagann hard sci fi, as neither of them contain any actual science, its more Star Wars and Start Trek than Asimov or Phillip K. Dick.
Are you trolling? Because it surely seems so.

How the hell is that trolling? Code Geass and Gurren Lagann are clearly nowhere near hard sci-fi. If people are going to use terms they dont quite understand they should expect to be called out on it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_sci-fi[/url]
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:06 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
My own experience with anime? I started 15 months ago. How many series have I not seen? How much do I look forward to some "veteran" telling me how everything sucks today because it's derivative? How valuable is that opinion to me? I don't expect Ebert's level of scholarship, but I do expect some care for the critic's profession and some respect for the audience.

Man, those other 4 chumps previewing anime for the Preview Guide, they don't know anything. Their time and their opinions aren't worth jack over Zac's. Because when Zac deigns to grant an opinion on us, all the other previews on the site, nay- IN THE WORLD- become inconsequential.

Seriously, people wonder why anime fans can be considered the most fickle, hardest to please fanbase on the face of the planet. You get not one, but FOUR differing opinions on the fall lineup, and you focus on the outlying fifth that is obviously supposed to be an extra.

It's not like he's not speaking to a target audience anyway. There are just as many people who agree and support his previews as vehemently disagree. If his style isn't for you, then don't read them. Leave them for those who share his cynical viewpoint and enjoy it.

Are people THAT insecure in their hobby that they need to be coddled into believing everything they watch is solid gold? Is free speech to them only limited to the masses, leaving the professionals to suffer in the corporate gulag? Free speech cuts both ways.

By the way, it's not like Ebert is above what you consider "unprofessional behavior" either.

http://www.flixster.com/news/2008/09/26/lol-roger-ebert-responds-to-disaster-movie-fan

I bet you laughed too.
rromani

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
In case the 40+ something releases are too much to review within two weeks, can humble sitewatchers appease curiosities in this forum? I could do so for Mouryou no Hako, Kemeko DX and Shikabane-hime if that would be ok. Mata ne, Radu
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:

What respect? You're on the internet! Respect went out the window along with the caramel dance and that damn Nyannyan song. Today, respect is equivalent to money, and thanks to Blogger, you don't even need that. Although you can still advertise for cash on'em. I've been thinking of that. Course, I don't have anything to really say or attract anyone to my site. Still, it's nice. What was I talking about?

Anyway, 300 posts! Yay!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 22