• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2008 Anime Preview Guide Part 1

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
For that really un needed review by Casey. I am a Key fan and waited half a year for it (I knew there would be a season two). Don't go pointing fingers like that...for one I have played the game and know what to expect. You obviously haven't even seen the 1st season. Why the hell would you review the second? Your review is pointless...That is like reading the middle of abook. Shouldn't journalists go and research? And she is a writer? No wonder I don't buy those magazines they are full of nothing...another story

Last edited by grooven on Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
mythus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
As a person who has played clannad and the after story. The After story consists of about 70-80% of the importance of what Clannad was meant to be. This is where you'll find your drama, story and laughter. Clannad first season was only meant to cover the setup and the joint of Tomoya and Nagisa. If your a fan of Air and Kanon, stick around for the show, and you'll know what i mean.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy about the positive reactions to Casshern Sins. The first episode really surprised me and I'm sure we'll get some background info soon enough. The visuals were really beautiful.
I pretty much agree with most of the other reviews as well, the grades seem to be about more or less the same also. No series getting a 5 in one and a 1 in another one ^^

Any of you planning to take a look at Yozakura Quartet? I pretty much liked the first episode, especially since the characters seemed to be well developed and individual. It seems to be another one of the more overlooked series ...

the rest is pretty average stuff for now (toradora) or simply really bad (Akane-iro oO;; ). But so much more is still to come ^^;;
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
mythus wrote:
As a person who has played clannad and the after story. The After story consists of about 70-80% of the importance of what Clannad was meant to be. This is where you'll find your drama, story and laughter. Clannad first season was only meant to cover the setup and the joint of Tomoya and Nagisa. If your a fan of Air and Kanon, stick around for the show, and you'll know what i mean.

Ahem to that! Exactly what they said! You should do the review damn it!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quote
Seems to me like half these people spend too much time focusing on minute things most people don't care about...and that Carlos hates anime. I don't see how anyone can like Casshern based on episode 1...was VERY slow after the first fight and I almost fell asleep..which never happens. And ot the last review of Clanand "What is the point of more?" anyone who has actually played the game already knows what the point is...or anyone who has watched any other KEY anime and was wondering where the "sad" part of Clannad was...
Myznomer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm extremely sad about Linebarrels. As a fan of mecha and escapism (within reason), I thought it would be enjoyable, but I have a slight suspicion it's poor reviews don't stem from a difference in taste...yeah.

As for Toradora, I'm not a Tsundere fanboy, but as someone whose laugh is naturally maniacal, I can sympathize with Ryuu. I'll keep watching, unless it turns out to be like ZnT.

Also, someone was wondering about Shikabane Hime, I read a review that was lukewarm, leaning towards positive. I think, like Casshern, his reasoning was that production values seemed high, but story was a little lacking. He also noted a distinct element of anti-fanservice.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
Noo why more Clannad? I really liked key at first but now it seems that they can only do one type of romance...
Zac has confirmed the gut feeling I had that Linebarrels of iron would suck
Quote:
ALI PROJECT (the band that can write only one song)
Thank goodness someone else feels this way. I thought I was crazy.
I do plan to watch toradora though a break from the norm in romantic comedies is nice and plus a tsundere type that does not spend her whole existence trying to be like haruhi suzumyia or Ayu Daikuuji Rolling Eyes Oh and is it bad for me to say that I'm tired of aya hirano? I love haruhi and lucky star as much as the next person but I never really liked her in any other roles.

By the way are you guys going to review Michiko to hatchin and skip beat?

Last edited by zanarkand princess on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
Wow, so the only one that really seems interesting is Casshern Sins. Toradora could be good, but I fear that it'll be just too easy for it to slip into the realm of generic Anime. The rest already seem generic if not totally uninteresting.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
Which is exactly why I'm waiting for Michiko to hatchin. It promises to be good in the same way that samurai champloo was and I don't really see how it can't be great looking at the staff.
Jih2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
I'll have to agree with Zac by and large regarding Linebarrels. I'm more on the: "this is just ok" side of things but you make a strong argument as to what we as fans should be doing, trying to challenge the industry with standards that are above the bar that's been set in stone for some time now.

You're always fun to read.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
yeah I guess gundam 00 is doing well enough that companies are saying "Well it's generic robot series time!" But um can we at least have a new type of female lead? Pretty please.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Wow, so the only one that really seems interesting is Casshern Sins.

It's not so bad. Already mentioned Yozakura Quartet, but also Tales of the Abyss looks promising. And the first episode "A certain magic index" was simply awesome ... a show that seems to be deserving the hype it gets. difficult to judge after one episode of course, but definitely worth checking out.
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
Flaed wrote:
ALI PROJECT (the band that can write only one song)...

You can't be any more wrong. Seriously, this is a bad meme that went out of hand. Anyone who says this don't really listen to any their music or can't tell she sings a certain style (at different ranges too). The OP they had for LoI isn't her strongest song (I find the songs that is included in the single better but virtually unusable for an anime OP or ED), but it reminded me of their "White Alice" days a bit with the lyrics and beat.

My opinion on Linebarrel of Iron? Too early to tell just yet. Rarely first episodes blow you away anyway. It's already diverting from the manga (which isn't all that novel either), but meh. I can't say it's amazing but it wasn't OMG horrible either. A 2.5 is a very suitable score for the first episode.

The only other Fall 08 season series I watched was the first RAW episode of Kuroshitsuji, which actually blew me away as a fan of the manga. They added some stuff in it, but it didn't hurt it, in fact, I enjoyed the added part a lot, which is rare. I admit I'm a bit worried that they're changing the order around a bit but I hope it's more like the beginning episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist that it improved the pacing from the original manga. Maaya Sakamoto is already doing a great job as Ciel. All voice selections have been perfect so far! I'm kinda glad that it has a late night spot so it won't censor the violence in the upcoming episodes.

Toradora.... I dunno. It doesn't seem like it's all that great. I mean there's the danger that the main and Taiga could end up with each other. The plot idea that they're good friends who have separate love interests really appeal to me, but I don't want to get into it and end up disappointed.

Clannad... nah, I pass on that. Never really like it and the character designs irk me a lot. And also people, Clannad ISN'T an eroge unless you count a seperate sequel Tomoyo After Story (which there's two versions of it: a clean one and a eroge that came later, IIRC).

Definitely checking out Casshern from enjoying the OAV a long, long time ago in my early anime fan days. Need a series that gives you a nostalgia once in a while.
ferre_kun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
This maybe the first time i reply here (heck i even forgot that i have an account here, lol), but i do visit here frequently and checked the news & reviews.

so what brought me to reactivate my inactive account here and post a reply?
well, i haven't played the game, and i wanna destroy kyoAni for what they did with first season of clannad. but i love clannad. though i'm aware of the slow pace and slapsticks and whatever negative point anyone can point out from it, i still love it (well, i like nagisa, tomoyo, okazaki and sunohara for my own reason).
i'm a die hard clannad fan. and i am dying to wait for the after story (and wishing kyoAni won't screw up this time, lol).

anyway, i wanna say i am waiting for clannad second season, as well as my fellow clannad fans i know. i also hope that toradora will turn out to be a good series, kurogane linebarrel too. not expecting too much on casshern though..but there's more series to come on this month right?

gratz for reviewers, i'm hoping for more fair review in the future ^^

ferre_kun
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
The review was actually very fair. If you aren't a super-key fan then clannad after story is not really interesting. But on the upside ADV just might have the license to it for those who are fans. I assume that they got both seasons or maybe the whole property seeing as air and kanon were popular.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 22