• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nana DVD Box Set 2

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
Wow...

What a way to review a series!!!

Carl... you are one of my favorite anime critics! Seriously.

I haven't seen any Nana episodes yet, but if it is remotely similar in the way we describe, then I may have another canidate for My Top 10.
Koi Kaze is #4 in my Top 10, and the fact that you consider Nana to be of the same caliber does nothing if not make me more and more curious...
This may be the first time I've seen you rate the story an A+, but by the way you've described why it is so, doesn't dissuade me in the slightest. The only other anime reviews that gave an A+ for story on this site that I agreed with were Koi Kaze, Gankutsuou, and Saikano.

Just like you said: Anime can be made to resemble "real-life", and it can do so with an ease, that can shame most TV dramas in spades.

Thanks, Carl! You've just convinced me to try out Nana!
wanpo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:04 am Reply with quote
Wow, talk about a glowing review!

I agree that it was a wonderfully honest show, and really struck home a number of times. I personally found Nana's character (the non-Hachi Nana) a little hard to understand and relate to, which might be why I didn't really love the show as much as I expected to. I recognize that the show has great merit, but for me, it just doesn't... inspire any great love for it somehow.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
An inspiring review. I've only seen a few episodes, but this makes me want to run out and buy the whole thing up to this point right now. Very glad to hear of its consistent awesomeness.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm appalled that you even mention Koi Kaze (which I loathe) in the same league as Nana, but otherwise...

I desperately want a second season to this. I unfortunately watched it in fansubs, which means I know how painfully open-ended this series winds up being. The gal who did the post-episode bits implied there would be, which gives me hope. I need to read the manga further to see if it eventually confronts some of my real issues with the series up to that point (i.e. both the Nanas trapped in ridiculously unhealthy relationships from which they had no signs of leaving).

I have a question for those who've seen Viz's version, though: how much of the music was changed? I heard Viz wasn't allowed to use all the songs, and I'm hoping that didn't affect any the gorgeous concert scenes.
JGonspy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I desperately want a second season to this. I unfortunately watched it in fansubs, which means I know how painfully open-ended this series winds up being. The gal who did the post-episode bits implied there would be, which gives me hope. I need to read the manga further to see if it eventually confronts some of my real issues with the series up to that point (i.e. both the Nanas trapped in ridiculously unhealthy relationships from which they had no signs of leaving).

There's definitely going to be a second season, but until Ai Yazawa gets better from the illness she's currently suffering from, we're going to be waiting for the manga to finish before the anime gets started on anything.

As for the review, it was rather ironic reading it. While I totally agree, I rather don't like how it was written. That's largely a question of style (and a little of substance), and apparently people enjoyed it, so I'm not going to say anything more than that about it. I hope everyone can enjoy this series; it's truly one of my favourites, if not my favourite of all time.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the, if not THE most overlooked anime currently being released on R1. It's great, great stuff for soap opera fans like myself, and in some ways the term "soap opera" might even be selling it short.

My only complaint is the amount of recap episodes, but take that aside and this is just great.

Shame about the 2nd ED theme, but hopefully that's the only song that couldn't be licensed. I wish some hardcore NANA anime fans could verify it (without going into a long rant about Viz, of course)
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

Shame about the 2nd ED theme, but hopefully that's the only song that couldn't be licensed. I wish some hardcore NANA anime fans could verify it (without going into a long rant about Viz, of course)

It's the first ED theme that Viz didn't get: a little pain. Although reports say the BGM versions were kept, just the ED theme was removed and replaced with another ED theme.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
bravetailor wrote:

It's the first ED theme that Viz didn't get: a little pain. Although reports say the BGM versions were kept, just the ED theme was removed and replaced with another ED theme.

I'll check youtube for "a little pain" and see if I remember hearing it in the BGM.

All that aside, I haven't heard of any other songs that Viz couldn't get, aside from this theme. Hopefully it stays that way.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I'm appalled that you even mention Koi Kaze (which I loathe) in the same league as Nana, but otherwise...

I have a question for those who've seen Viz's version, though: how much of the music was changed? I heard Viz wasn't allowed to use all the songs, and I'm hoping that didn't affect any the gorgeous concert scenes.

just the first endng.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
just the first endng.

But isn't that one of the major songs that gets sung by Trapnest throughout the series? The one that goes "I'm here waiting for you..." that spoiler[Ren wrote thinking of Nana]?
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
just the first endng.

But isn't that one of the major songs that gets sung by Trapnest throughout the series? The one that goes "I'm here waiting for you..." that spoiler[Ren wrote thinking of Nana]?

no the ending is removed but the background version is kept.
Alestal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
This series was fantastic, all 4 times I've watched it!

But Paradise Kiss, which is also by the same author, was superior.
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
This anime is incredible! My girlfriend's friends who don't even like anime even enjoyed it.

I do hope they make a second season!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
just the first endng.

no the ending is removed but the background version is kept.

So... the song still plays within the episodes, but not at the end of them?? Is this still up at hulu? Maybe I should just watch a few episodes there...
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
The ending theme 'A Little Pain' was removed because of the similar melody to Kelly Clarkson's 'Just Missed the Train.' Since VIZ wanted to air this on TV they couldn't really have it. At least we got WISH the 2nd OP though. 'A Little Pain' was still played within the episodes (ex. Hachi listening to the song on her CD player and when Nana and Hachi attend the Trapnest concert.)

Anyway I like the comparison between NANA and Koi Kaze, both are very brutally honest and touching shows. This box set is basically the calm before the storm as future episodes become very dramatic and darker. The only thing I can complain about is ZERO extras on such an expensive release. If I'm paying 50 bucks for 12 episodes I'd at least like some good extra.

And I like the more subdued nature of the English dub, I understand it's not perfect but I really liked it. Nana's and "Hachi's" voice actresses were the highlights for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3