• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2008 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
Theron wrote:
It certainly has the trappings down right, as Lydia's dress is positively lovely and she cuts a cross between a classic 19th century English lady and a more typical shojo romance heroine.
Except if Edinbourgh is her home she would most likely be Scottish, not English, especially in 19th century GB.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:32 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Except if Edinbourgh is her home she would most likely be Scottish, not English, especially in 19th century GB.

Kinda irrelevant. The stereotypical look is still English, hence the description applies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I found Mōryō no Hako to be rather disappointing. Compared to Requiem From The Darkness and other recent shows in this vein (Mononoke, Hakaba Kitaro), it was rather underwhelming as a piece of animation. Even the CLAMP designs seemed smothered in a pedestrian interpretation of them.

The story is strong, but if I'm watching a cartoon, I want better visual storytelling, particularly of the sort that can only exist in animation.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
With Michiko To Hatchin finally subbed, we have a season. My summary picks. Anything can still happen, but for now:

DEFINITELY WATCHING:
Kurozuka (Amazing visuals, artistic bloodiness, plus knowing where the story goes)
Casshern SINS (Again, awesome visual, amnesiac brooding anti-utopia, could be a genuine classic)
ef ~A Tale of Melodies~ (Best writing of any show so far, no competition there, plus great visual/directing style [requires season one])
Kannagi (Love the animation and the characters, engaging story slowly revealing and has barely started, more chars to come)
Kemeko DX (Will watch for the wacky comedy factor alone, don't care what anyone thinks Smile)
Macademi Wasshoi! (Same as Kemeko DX, needing some over-the-top Excel Saga-type action humor, been too long since Dokuro-chan)
Nodame Cantabile - Paris Chapter (Of course.)
Clannad ~After Story~ (Like ef~, will marathon this with first season, but unlike ef~, still not sure why I like it enough to watch it)

HOPEFULLY:
Michiko To Hatchin (Can't be sure with one ep, but wins if story and visuals continue at this quality, and if it doesn't turn El Cazador)
Mouryou no Hako (I love the art and the WTF mystery, but this genre is either done really right or it isn't worth watching at all)
Toradora! (Total tsun Ep 3, can textbook tsundere-lead rom-com be successful sans sci-fi/fantasy/otaku angle? Now par with Akane-Iro)
Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka (Nice light comedy so far, will probably stick with it unless it becomes melodramatic or just boring)
Chaos;Head (Could be a Higurashi [well, that would be stretching] or Tsukihime [game-only], or could be crap, need more eps)
Toaru Majutsu no Index (If action and characters balance well... looks Shana-like for visuals/action, many chars to develop yet per OP)
Shikabane Hime (Have to include because it's Gainax, not overly impressed yet, but they're saving a lot on the digital color ink cost Rolling Eyes)

Everything else == no-interest genre or < 6/10.
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Shikabane Hime (Have to include because it's Gainax, not overly impressed yet, but they're saving a lot on the digital color ink cost Rolling Eyes)

Maybe you're being facetious, but I don't understand what you're trying to imply.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
ef ~A Tale of Melodies~ (Best writing of any show so far, no competition there, plus great visual/directing style [requires season one])

I cannot agree with you at all here. While I gave ef a decent rating, I can name at least three series this season that have better writing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
pparker wrote:

Maybe you're being facetious, but I don't understand what you're trying to imply.

Yeah, I'm joking about the 50% dark screens, and the blackened tones. Half the time these old eyes can't see what's happening.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
pparker wrote:

I cannot agree with you at all here. While I gave ef a decent rating, I can name at least three series this season that have better writing.

Well, for cleverness and density of dialogue, I honestly haven't seen anything better. Admittedly some of it relies on references to season one. What 3 are you referring to? I've written my share of unproduced screenplays, so I'm curious.
Peasantman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Ga-Rei zero has intrigued me, I watched the first episode spoiler[and It seemed kinda typical at first until the twist of everyone dying] The second episode spoiler[ was a little better than the first, but much of their weapons seem sort of cheesy, like a guy that fights with a machine gun suitcase, or the guy that has drill gauntlets. The battle scene with kagura and yomi was pretty badass, but in the end it kills off a main character again] I have a feeling they have not produced an OP because they are afraid to give anything away.

Cashern sins is very flashy and dark, I'll definitely stick to it.

To Aru Majutsu no Index looks to be very intriguing.

And despite all the criticism I will stick with Tytania.

I really like Ga-rei so far.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Well, for cleverness and density of dialogue, I honestly haven't seen anything better. Admittedly some of it relies on references to season one. What 3 are you referring to? I've written my share of unproduced screenplays, so I'm curious.

Toradora! for certain, arguably Casshern Sins, and possibly Moryo no Haku, too. (Though I want to see another episode or two before committing on the latter.) There are three or four others I'd put on the same "respectable, not great" writing level as ef.

Of course, I am definitely not an ef fan in the first place, so opinions will, obviously, vary on that.

Last edited by Key on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
CCCLub

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I'd just like to say first that this guide is really awesome. It totally helped me find what I might like, and made me aware of some series I hadn't heard of. Great Work!

That said I would offer just one criticism. I realize that you guys must be pretty savvy (maybe even cynical) having seen so much anime. Still, I think it would be nice to recognize some of these series in the format that they exist. Not all of them will be intellectual or particularly well written. Most shounen can be pretty cheesy, and it would be hard to stand it up against a lot of things. Still, if you're looking for, or enjoy that particular kind of anime then some of the reviewed items would score higher as per their "class". Perhaps more focus on the things that they do right in comparison to there ilk, rather than a comparison on whole.

Maybe even categories of review for each title? Such as animation, dialogue, character depth, etc.

Thanks again for all your great work.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Kinda irrelevant. The stereotypical look is still English, hence the description applies.
Which just shows your colonial education. I suppose you consider Scotland as just another state of England, no? Like Scotland, England is a country, not a style. It would have been more correct to say "Lydia's dress is positively lovely and she cuts a cross between a classic 19th century British lady...", or "lady of English aristocracy....", that way you cover all bases. Wink
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
pparker wrote:

Toradora! for certain, arguably Casshern Sins, and possibly Moryo no Haku, too. (Though I want to see another episode or two before committing on the latter.) There are three or four others I'd put on the same "respectable, not great" writing level as ef[/f].

Of course, I am definitely not an [b]ef
fan in the first place, so opinions will, obviously, vary on that.

Based on your reviews, I respect your opinion and usually agree. In this case, maybe I'll go halfway.

I was afraid you were going to say Toradora! It's better than the average teen romance, but it hasn't transcended the genre. That's why I see ef~ as in a different class, because it did exceed normal bounds. I think the same about Higurashi and to a lesser degree School Days, though for different reasons.

Toradora! avoids some of the tropes and attempts to handle those it doesn't in a unique fashion. But they are there, an example being in Episode 3 the spoiler["locked in a shed" scenario. From my limited experience and a quick Google, I found 6 instances of that device used in anime TV series, from Please Teacher to two separate series this season. To transcend, cliches and standard tropes should be avoided or else re-worked very cleverly, probably with conscious self-reference in a comedy (e.g., Clannad used "locked in a shed" last season, but prefaced the scene with a bit about a "Get-Locked-In-A-Shed-With-A-Girl-You-Choose Charm"). Why lock the characters in a shed at all, except to set up the inevitable "discovery and misunderstanding" scenario? They sidestepped the "misunderstanding", but left in the tsun responses, which by the way never let up once in episode 3. ] Also, the now-tired, fanservice "urusai" references definitely need to end. I've watched Toradora! 3 or 4 times now. It's entertaining, but not nearly great. I am a big Kugimiya tsundere fan, so if this show was anywhere near greatness, I would be on board because I fully intended to be.

Anyway... so much for that. Casshern SINS's dialogue is sparse and elegant, like good C code. Overall the story is well paced and directed script-wise. Comparing ~ef , Casshern SINS and Mouryou no Hako is like trying to compare Gladiator, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Gosford Park. I could compromise and say Casshern and ~ef are equally good in their own genres thus far. I agree that Mouryou no Hako looks intriguing, but it's too early to tell. I would still rank Kurozuka above it based on first episodes.

And that is it.

Last edited by pparker on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
I was afraid you were going to say Toradora! It's better than the average teen romance, but it hasn't transcended the genre. That's why I see ef~ as in a different class, because it did exceed normal bounds. I think the same about Higurashi and to a lesser degree School Days, though for different reasons.

Toradora! avoids some of the tropes and attempts to handle those it doesn't in a unique fashion. . .

As soon as I realized you were talking about ep 3 with your spoiler, I stopped reading. I have been trying to catch up on some important reviews that got temporarily set aside while we were doing the Guide, so I haven't gotten to that episode yet. Thus, my comments are entirely based on the first two episodes only, and based on those, Toradora! showed me the capacity to go well beyond the norm for its genre. If it can't sustain that, it won't be a surprise to me, as episode 2 nailed things exactly right to a degree that rarely comes along in anime, especially that genre. Even if only for a while, it broke beyond its gimmicks to create something greater. What I have seen of ef (and I'll freely admit I have seen nowhere near all of it) has not left that same impression on me. Maybe ef shines brighter when the whole is considered, but it doesn't have as strong a start and didn't seem all that special beyond the odd gimmickry.
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
pparker wrote:

Toradora! avoids some of the tropes and attempts to handle those it doesn't in a unique fashion. . .

As soon as I realized you were talking about ep 3 with your spoiler, I stopped reading. I have been trying to catch up on some important reviews that got temporarily set aside while we were doing the Guide, so I haven't gotten to that episode yet. Thus, my comments are entirely based on the first two episodes only, and based on those, Toradora! showed me the capacity to go well beyond the norm for its genre. If it can't sustain that, it won't be a surprise to me, as episode 2 nailed things exactly right to a degree that rarely comes along in anime, especially that genre. Even if only for a while, it broke beyond its gimmicks to create something greater. What I have seen of ef (and I'll freely admit I have seen nowhere near all of it) has not left that same impression on me. Maybe ef shines brighter when the whole is considered, but it doesn't have as strong a start and didn't seem all that special beyond the odd gimmickry.

Oops, added the ep to the spoiler. I should have stated more strongly the requirement that you watch the first season of ef~. It won't make sense otherwise, and absolutely requires familiarity with the source material up to that point (I haven't played the game, so I don't know which arcs are where, so for me its season one pre-req). From your point of view, I completely understand how you would have that opinion. ef~ is something you have to watch closely, too, and watch all of it, otherwise you get lost. If you don't like this type of thing, you won't have the patience anyway (like me with most shonen stuff Wink)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16