• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Honorific use in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure an emphasis on honorifics even exists in American society. Aside from putting a title in front of peoples' names like a mister, miss, or misses, there's nothing else other than referring to our family members by either title (father, mother, uncle, aunt, etc.) or first name (as you would to brothers, sisters, cousins, or whomever you consider of equal social status).

From my experience in Asian cultures, the whole concept of honorifics is about respect, seniority, and is just a resulting by-product of long-standing tradition. It probably seems very subtle and old-fashioned to a lot of folks who aren't familiar with the practice in general, but that's the way it turned out after so many years.

I don't see how dub scripts can ever truly capture the same importance because our society just never really had that kind of subtlety in the first place. If you call someone you really, really admire -sama, what else are you going to call them? Lord? Mr.? Oh, Great One? That would just sound silly, don't you think?

It's not anyone's fault that a dub script can't properly translate such a nuance, but it's better than leaving it there and making the entire thing sound awkward because of differing social norms.
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I don't see how dub scripts can ever truly capture the same importance because our society just never really had that kind of subtlety in the first place. If you call someone you really, really admire -sama, what else are you going to call them? Lord? Mr.? Oh, Great One? That would just sound silly, don't you think?

It's not anyone's fault that a dub script can't properly translate such a nuance, but it's better than leaving it there and making the entire thing sound awkward because of differing social norms.

I agree. Sometimes there just isn't a good equivalent in English. Let's take the Fruits Basket example mentioned earlier. In Japanese, honorifics are a useful tool in revealing that Tohru feels closer to Yuki, Kyo and Momiji - the only three characters she uses -kun with - than the other men and boys in the show, and because she's very polite and respectful she's extremely careful not to take that liberty with anyone else. But in English that subtlety had to be dropped, as it would have been utterly ridiculous for her to go around calling almost half the cast "Mr. Sohma", because her relationships with the other guys aren't nearly as formal as that would imply.

This also caused some awkwardness in the aforementioned scene in which Haru talks her into calling Yuki "Yuki-kun" for the first time though. In English, the scene had to be tinkered with, with Haru talking her into calling him "Prince Yuki" (semi-long story) instead. Not perfect, but as close to the effect as it was possible to get.

Yuki's "Honda-san", however, was kept, in the form of "Miss Honda" - and although that was also slightly awkward it was somewhat essential as it says something important about his personality (he's uncomfortable about people getting to know him too well). In fact, it actually became a slight plot point in the manga soon after the events covered in the anime.
Dezixn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure Clannad, first season, had a good example of this.

I think Sunohara's sister was trying to get Tomoya and Nagisa quit saying san. Either that or it was a last name first name thing.
I honestly can't remember, just trying to give examples and I saw no one mention clannad.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:01 am Reply with quote
Yes, I agree that honorifics are basically untranslatable. Relative social status just isn't part of English grammar. Which is of course why most subs leave them untranslated.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
It bears mentioning that the act of translating (for instance) "Honda-san" as "Miss Honda" is just as awkward as leaving the original honorifics in place, since most of the English-speaking world has been, for the past several generations, slowly doing away with all titular usage outside the professional realm.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
auberginedreams

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
There is a scene in School Days where Kotonoha asks Makoto to start referring to her by her first name. Then she uses his first name and he says something like, "Oh, you're going to use mine too?"
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It bears mentioning that the act of translating (for instance) "Honda-san" as "Miss Honda" is just as awkward as leaving the original honorifics in place, since most of the English-speaking world has been, for the past several generations, slowly doing away with all titular usage outside the professional realm.

Yeah, personally this is a big reason I prefer subtitles, and if possible fansubs, because fansubs often enough leave these in, and if not you can at least pick them out of the dialog. Japanese writing is often so much enriched by their use of honorifics, it just sounds wrong when they aren't used, no matter hwo they attempt to transliterate them. If I worked as a localizer, I'd leave all of them in, even in the dubs, except for non-Japanese characters. So, like, Kenshin, Naruto, Bleach, everyone would use honorifics, all the time. Black Lagoon, Zero Tsukaima, Slayers, not so much.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
This isn't quite change in honorifics, but I think it is relevant because it's a case when they really, REALLY should have translated the honorific, and it's one they could have done very easily.

I haven't listened to the dub enough to know if they address it there, but recently I was watching Gunslinger Girl with my friend and I had to tell her that Jose and Jean really are brothers, because the sub never actually translated the nii-san honorific. If I had not told her this fact, she wouldn't have known of Jose meant it literally, rather than just showing respect. I really think this was short-sighted, especially because the second season of the anime contains storylines that do involve the fact that they are brothers and people who just watched the sub but didn't know enough Japanese to recognize the honorific wouldn't have a clue.

I do agree that many times honorifics are not translatable, and honestly I don't think most really have any place in the dubs. Though the lady/lord for -sama does work in some occasions, if the setting is historical, like for example in Fushigi Yuugi it makes sense for them to call a character Lady Miaka, because it fits the overall setting. But anything contemporary is just weird. However, I think they work well in subtitles, since when you watch a sub you want to experience the original language more than if you are watching a dub.

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I haven't listened to the dub enough to know if they address it there, but recently I was watching Gunslinger Girl with my friend and I had to tell her that Jose and Jean really are brothers, because the sub never actually translated the nii-san honorific. If I had not told her this fact, she wouldn't have known of Jose meant it literally, or was just showing respect. I really think this was short-sighted, especially because the second season of the anime contains storylines that do involve the fact that they are brothers and people who just watched the sub but didn't know enough Japanese to recognize the honorific wouldn't have a clue.

I haven't seen Gunslinger Girl, so I don't know what relationship these two have -- but I feel I must point out that nii-san doesn't have to mean "older brother" with an implication of family relationship. It can be a general term of respect, just as nee-san, oba-san, oji-san, obaa-san and ojii-san can be. You'd use them in circumstances where you're talking to someone in a casual but respectful manner -- using the one that is appropriate to age and gender. For instance, on the frequent occasions when I visit a small Japanese restaurant in downtown Copenhagen, I generally address the proprietor's wife, who is about 10 years older than me, as nee-san. If you were there, you'd probably be excused for calling her oba-san, given the relative age differential... but if I did it, she'd never forgive me.

marie-antoinette wrote:
I do agree that many times honorifics are not translatable, and honestly I don't think most really have any place in the dubs. Though the lady/lord for -sama does work in some occasions, if the setting is historical, like for example in Fushigi Yuugi it makes sense for them to call a character Lady Miaka, because it fits the overall setting. But anything contemporary is just weird. However, I think they work well in subtitles, since when you watch a sub you want to experience the original language more than if you are watching a dub.

One sub I saw (I can't at the moment recall which one), had X-sama translated as "Oh Great X", a useful translation since the situation involved comically exaggerated worshipful respect.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
Just for the record, I've seen Gunslinger Girl and José and Jean are, indeed, actual brothers. I didn't know this until recently when I read the Manga; the subs for the series completely skipped over this fact.
It's true that a lot of the time, nee/nii-san doesn't refer to an actual sibling, but I think the subs should maybe have slipped in a hint to compensate. I was completely clueless about their brotherhood Confused
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
but I feel I must point out that nii-san doesn't have to mean "older brother" with an implication of family relationship. It can be a general term of respect, just as nee-san, oba-san, oji-san, obaa-san and ojii-san can be. You'd use them in circumstances where you're talking to someone in a casual but respectful manner -- using the one that is appropriate to age and gender.

Yes, I realize that, which is why I made sure to tell my friend that Jose did actually mean it literally. Because, as I said, if I hadn't told her she probably would have assumed he was just using it to be respectful.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
I haven't seen Gunslinger Girl, so I don't know what relationship these two have -- but I feel I must point out that nii-san doesn't have to mean "older brother" with an implication of family relationship. It can be a general term of respect, just as nee-san, oba-san, oji-san, obaa-san and ojii-san can be.

Yes, I concur. Asian cultures also use honorifics with a certain degree of "casual respect." For example, in Lao culture younger children are supposed to address older children as "big brother/sister" and vice versa, or parents refer to older parents (grandparent age) as "father/mother." Well, it's a little closer to "pops" or "ma'am," but it's an example of the system, regardless.

You can actually see examples of this in American culture when same-aged people say "bro'/brother/sis'/sister" or the aforementioned "pops/ma'am," though its usually a result of either a tightly knit community or very friendly relations/familiarity with the other person.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
In Revolutionary Girl Utena, when Saionji loses to Utena, Anthy switches from -sama to -sempai, and she is careful to emphasize the change in honorific. Anthy does the same thing to Utena when she loses to Touga, although she doesn't use -sempai. I think she uses -san, but I can't be sure. In both instances, the change in honorific causes a reaction in Saionji and Utena.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One sub I saw (I can't at the moment recall which one), had X-sama translated as "Oh Great X", a useful translation since the situation involved comically exaggerated worshipful respect.
Might've been a.f.k.'s Lucky Star, where Konata jokes about calling Kagami "Kagami the Great." Worked a lot better than simply saying "Kagami-sama."
abunai wrote:
True, they both have the same level of awkwardness from an English-speaking perspective. But at least "Miss Honda" is intelligible to the average viewer who doesn't already understand the Japanese honorific system.

I think pro subtitle writer Andrew Kent made a good point about including honorifics in a similar thread over on AoD.
Andrew Kent wrote:
But actually putting the honorific in the text of the subtitle doesn't convey additional information. If you already know what -san is, well, they did say -san, you can HEAR -san, seeing -san in the subtitle is not necessary for your brain to light up the -san flag. On the other hand, if you don't know what -san means, then putting -san in the subtitle doesn't actually tell you anything... "Why did his name get an extra syllable? How come not everyone is using it? I don't get it..."
Another example of "obligatory" honorific use comes up in an early episode of Steel Angel Kurumi, where Kurumi wants Nakahito to drop the -chan from her name. The subtitles leave this in , but the English dub (directed by Steven Foster, who's known for eschewing "Japanese-ness" in his dubs) manages to work around it by having Kurumi tell him not to be so formal.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Asian cultures also use honorifics with a certain degree of "casual respect." For example, in Lao culture younger children are supposed to address older children as "big brother/sister" and vice versa, or parents refer to older parents (grandparent age) as "father/mother." Well, it's a little closer to "pops" or "ma'am," but it's an example of the system, regardless.

You can actually see examples of this in American culture when same-aged people say "bro'/brother/sis'/sister" or the aforementioned "pops/ma'am," though its usually a result of either a tightly knit community or very friendly relations/familiarity with the other person.

Hmmm... actually, I would hypothesize that it is a characteristic of pre-urbanized/rural society that is retained in the language for a while after urbanization, then disappears. I say this because every language that I have ever learned even a smidgeon of (and that's a lot) has some sort of rural tradition of addressing people by family-related titles (whether the American "Pops" or the Danish morlil, "little mother"). I think it is a reflection of the more closely-knit nature of rural society, not necessarily a trait that relates to some nations rather than others.

In that sense, what we are seeing in Japanese may simply be a remnant of the fairly ruralized culture that existed in Japan until the great urbanization period of the mid-20th century.

Zalis116 wrote:
abunai wrote:
Might've been a.f.k.'s Lucky Star, where Konata jokes about calling Kagami "Kagami the Great." Worked a lot better than simply saying "Kagami-sama."

That's not impossible, for I see a lot of stuff -- but I seem to recall seeing Lucky Star in raws. Of course, it's a relatively obvious joke, so I suppose it occurs frequently.

- abunai
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3