• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brain Diving - Double Impact

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:08 am Reply with quote
Definitely have no intention of checking this out, but it's still cool for me to see Burst Angel grace the cover of something.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
'Lo Brian, I enjoyed "Around The World With Willy Fog" both in Spain and in Panama. It was shown in many Latin American countries.
Rankarana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote
I recieved this as a gift last year - which was a very nice thought, of course - but I'd have to agree the whole thing seems kinda half-hearted and generalised rather than being in any way incisive.

On the other hand, the back cover does have an incredible picture of Daitarn 3 which I find myself staring at for minutes on end, and would much rather have a nice, framed picture of that shot than anything else in the book.
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
In Ireland we had a whole line of "Willy fog" type shows too.

There was:
Around The World with Willy Fog
Journey to the Center of the Earth
20,000 leagues under the Sea

There was a few Willy fog did not star in, like:

Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds
Sandokhan.

All of these were produced primarily by BRB International (of spain). Only the first Willy Fog, and the Muskehounds were Japanese co-productions I think though.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Stephane Delorme's essay “Childish Perceptions: Thoughts on the Japanese Genius for Animation,” tries to explain why such good animation has come from Japan, but his treatise could be pretty offensive if read in the wrong light.
Is "Stephane Delorme" male? (From penultimate paragraph, emphasis added)

Quote:
It reminded me of the infamous time in 1951 Douglas MacArthur compared the Japanese people to twelve-year-old children.
This, juxtaposed with the following:
Quote:
And later in the piece he repeats that old (and oft-disproven) chestnut that in Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaä the eponymous heroine is shown flying without any panties on.
(Emphasis added) Might that be irony I spy? It treads dangerously close, as your perpetuation of that all-too-common shallow "interpretation" (spin) of General MacArthur's assessment is akin to that essay author spreading a falsehood that is commonly perceived to be true. That shallow & ubiquitous "interpretation" of General MacArthur's assessment feels tantamount to libel of the man who held the Japanese in high regard, a man who also said this about Japan:
Quote:
I know of no nation more serene, orderly, and industrious, nor in which higher hopes can be entertained for future constructive service in the advance of the human race.
(General MacArthur's 1951 Farewell Address before Congress.)
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
It treads dangerously close, as your perpetuation of that all-too-common shallow "interpretation" (spin) of General MacArthur's assessment is akin to that essay author spreading a falsehood that is commonly perceived to be true. That shallow & ubiquitous "interpretation" of General MacArthur's assessment feels tantamount to libel of the man who held the Japanese in high regard...

I don't doubt that he did. But these were his words:
Quote:
If the Anglo-Saxon was say 45 years of age in his development, in the sciences, the arts, divinity, culture, the Germans were quite as mature. The Japanese, however, in spite of their antiquity measured by time, were in a very tuitionary condition. Measured by the standards of modern civilization, they would be like a boy of twelve as compared with our development of 45 years.

So the Japanese need to be "civilized" according to Western standards because their society is like a child in terms of development. I don't really see any kind of misinterpretation going on there. But how would you interpret that?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But how would you interpret that?
In a more optimistic light, that MacArthur was implying that the Japanese had great potential to obtain prominence in the world as they were still "young", and that they, like children, they could realize this potential while retaining their individuality via education. Certainly something that his statement, my previous quote, corroborates. Though there is truth to the claims in his statement, most notably technology, but I believe it is the usage of the other terms which draw ire, and with ire a loss of reason, concerning the statement. (i.e. People see simple digs against Japanese art, culture, & religion and see MacArthur as a sanctimonious imperialist who looks down upon the Japanese instead of the benefactor who sought to edify them.)

If MacArthur had sought to simply civilize the Japanese according to Western standards, then why would he consider Japan to be the greatest hope for the human race? If he were going to pattern Japan after, say, America, then why would he not consider America to be the greatest hope for humanity? An imitation, as Japan would thus be, can not exceed the original.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I know that book. It is (or it was) for sale as "book bargains ".
I thought it was interesting, since it was written from a "European" point of view (Willy Fog, hello Spank, heck, even Mitsuru Adachi).

Anyway, it should be not taken as an essay, but just a "photo book". Like those "Castles in Europe", "African Sights"... which share the same bargain shop. Books big and shiny, the perfect gift for someone, but not to buy for yourself. Or at least, not for me.

EDIT: is there anyone in Europe who didn't watch "Willy Fog", "Maya", "Vickie", "Heidi"... as a kid?
Akukame

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I've never understood these overview type books. If you go back maybe 20 years, before the internet, then they might make some sense. But since the pokemon boom there have been a lot released, and they seem to be aimed at anime fans, but don't really contain a whole lot of information that is not already readily available to them.

I actually really do think genre specific books would be very interesting reads. But I wonder if there really is any market for them. I can of many topics that would be fitting of a research paper or short book. Or at least things that I would be more interested in learning more about, if I had the time or resources to devote to them.

Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
Stephane Delorme's essay “Childish Perceptions: Thoughts on the Japanese Genius for Animation,” tries to explain why such good animation has come from Japan, but his treatise could be pretty offensive if read in the wrong light.
Is "Stephane Delorme" male? (From penultimate paragraph, emphasis added)

Stephane is a male name. I don't see any reason you'd assume he was not male.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Because I don't live in Europe, and have no profound knowledge of its naming schemes. "Stephen" is a male name, and given the rather ridiculous "feminizations" of stereotypically "male" names I've encountered in America, I could easily believe that the appendage of an "e" to "Stephan" turns it into a "feminine" name. Honestly, I can't think of a "masculine" way to pronounce it, short of omitting the "e" sound at the end, in which case I ponder why the "e" is even bothered with. This is reminding me of the name debacle at the beginning of the rather lame movie EuroTrip.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
I could swear I saw Around the World in 80 Days on TV. Wasn't it aired on Saturday mornings? Or was that a different anthro animal cartoon series that took place in London? Sherlock Hound perhaps?
Orange Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:28 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

EDIT: is there anyone in Europe who didn't watch "Willy Fog", "Maya", "Vickie", "Heidi"... as a kid?

Not quite in Europe, but yes, of course we all did watch Willy Fog and Maya =) I remember almost nothing about them, except them being awesome!
PBsallad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:38 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:

Because I don't live in Europe, and have no profound knowledge of its naming schemes. "Stephen" is a male name, and given the rather ridiculous "feminizations" of stereotypically "male" names I've encountered in America, I could easily believe that the appendage of an "e" to "Stephan" turns it into a "feminine" name. Honestly, I can't think of a "masculine" way to pronounce it, short of omitting the "e" sound at the end, in which case I ponder why the "e" is even bothered with. This is reminding me of the name debacle at the beginning of the rather lame movie EuroTrip.

It's French, Stéphane. Pronounced Stef-ahn.

But yeah. I understand. French and even Italian can have some feminine looking names from an English speakers perspective.
Nephtis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
That's unfortunate; I believe (could be wrong) it's edited by Philip Brophy (Australian). He's done some pretty awesome work in cinema and short piece on anime and I was looking forward to this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gwern

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
If anyone is curious, I transcribed a bunch of entries http://eva.onegeek.org/pipermail/evangelion/2011-December/007140.html and posted Sarrazin's "Ero-Anime: Manga Comes Alive" http://www.gwern.net/docs/2010-sarrazin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1