• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unreleased FUNimation Licenses Update Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
WTK wrote:
Per Otaku USA: Appleseed XIII Complete Collection coming in June.
- Snapshot: https://twitter.com/Jrnemanich/status/296378718539112448/photo/1

Always been curious to see this. I may have to blind-buy it if a BD box comes out.

Man, I don't think anyone ever bothered to fansub this one. Three episodes and then nothing, and no one talked about it, no one was clamoring and bitching for subs ala Hyouge Mono. How do you get the hype machine going on something like that?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I guess it's just the fact that this another Masamune Shirow property from Production I.G., ala GitS: SAC, and has a certain mystique to it. I haven't read the Appleseed manga, but the movies peaked my interest enough that the setting and characters have me curious enough to see more. And with 13 episodes at a North American SRP, I'm sure it'll reach a low enough price at some point to be worth a blind-buy. They gotta' have it on BD, though. Wasn't this show supposed to have a pretty high budget to begin with? If so, then an HD presentation would definitely benefit it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Yes, and all of those qualities should had people clamoring at least for free fansubs or raws. (The CG was quite unimpressive in my opinion, kind of ugly...) My main point being: it came and went without much mention. Maybe it being fully available on BD in English will help find an audience, along with the previously released relations tied to it, but there's really no public opinion or consensus out there at all. It really would be blind buying, to the fullest extent.

Is that no one even bothered to fansub it any kind of measure of quality? I'd wager that argument doesn't match with older anime that are finally coming available, like Deep Blue Fleet, or where it may be a tough translation that causes delays like Joshiraku or Gintama, but new anime that aren't steeped in Japaneseness, especially established titles seem like a given. Maybe it was just a raw procurement issue.
chronoclast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Wasn't this show supposed to have a pretty high budget to begin with? If so, then an HD presentation would definitely benefit it.

Nope, it's very apparent from the first two episodes I saw that it did not have the budget it needed at all. The CG looks cheap and ugly. The show itself is also really boring and doesn't even compare to the films which were mediocre IMO. The general consensus that I saw was the same I had, it's ugly and boring.

The whole thing is streaming on Hulu if you want to see for yourself. http://www.hulu.com/appleseed-xiii
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote
Deadman Wonderland on Blu-ray

FUNimation have the Blu-ray rights before, but didn't release it with DVD only release. I guess we should expect FUNimation to release the Blu-ray (could be BD only) sometime before Manga UK.

https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/299475548323868673
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS: We're happy to confirm that we'll be releasing the series Deadman Wonderland on DVD and Blu-ray in July. ^JG

https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/299491352612323328
Quote:
Hi guys, more info: Deadman Wonderland on DVD will be 3-discs with an SRP of £29.99 and on BD will be 2-discs with an SRP of £34.99. ^JG
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
^ Not surprising, considering that it was their most streamed series ever.
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
via Katsucon (http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/29314084)
  • Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail - "in process of assembling the original cast of Black Lagoon"
  • Blessing of the Campanella - don't see any release date at all [for 2013]; not certain how much the series has been licensed
  • BLOOD-C: The Last Dark - coming out this holiday season
  • Fairy Tail Season 2 - 2013
  • Fairy Tail Movie - this winter (sometime after October, closer to Christmas)
  • Guilty Crown - summer (hopefully before September)
  • Jormungand - before the end of the year
  • Lupin III - The Woman Called Fujiko Mine - late summer
  • Maken-Ki!: Battling Venus - 2013
  • Michiko & Hatchin - 2013
  • PSYCHO-PASS - "...recently acquired full rights" (@ 10:14)
  • Sankarea - 2013
  • Sgt. Frog - "is now on hiatus"

https://twitter.com/GWOtaku/status/302493377205768192
Quote:
Notes from FUNimation Q&A...Wolf Children is likely for a holiday release w/ some showings here and there before then

https://twitter.com/GWOtaku/status/302498499877040128
Quote:
Regarding Dragon Ball Z on Blu-ray...in essence they're "waiting for technology to catch up" so they can continue remaster at not-crazy cost
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:46 am Reply with quote
I asked on the Funimation Twitter and Facebook but never heard back. I really wonder if they are going to do physical releases of Haganai
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:48 am Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:
I asked on the Funimation Twitter and Facebook but never heard back. I really wonder if they are going to do physical releases of Haganai

They are going to. Patience. They do have other projects to work on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
Well sure I know this. I'm not being like "Funimation, do this now". I also know they arent going to answer every person, to think that would be naive.

Essentially, I was just asking as some people on here post twitter responses and give info from cons I'm not able to go to. Just because I have 90 some posts doesn't mean I'm some casual fan of anime who doesn't look into these things.

I was essentially just asking to see if someone may have heard something I missed. Obviously NEXT is just being streamed so it won't be for a while yet, but I would think that the first season may have SOME plans announced that I could possible have glossed over.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:46 am Reply with quote
At this point, Haganai's a given, it's just a matter of time.

What I want to hear about is C Cubed. Has Funimation disowned it for some reason? After my fifth Oonuma series, I have to admit I like his style.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
[list][*]Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail - "in process of assembling the original cast of Black Lagoon"

So wait.... They're not even done with the dub yet?!

.......Well, crap. Confused
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
WTK wrote:
[list][*]Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail - "in process of assembling the original cast of Black Lagoon"

So wait.... They're not even done with the dub yet?!

.......Well, crap. Confused

Hmm, on this I'd give them the benefit of the doubt since they actually are trying to get the original cast. The could easily just redub it.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
^ That is true. I'm happy they're putting forth the effort to get the original cast back, even though it's taking them a bit longer to get everything finished.

Still, I was really hoping this would be out this year. I've been waiting 3 years for it already. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 20