• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chaos;HEAd (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote

Chaos;HEAd (TV)

Genres: action, drama, horror, mystery, psychological, romance, science fiction, supernatural, thriller
Themes: girls with weapons, harem, NEET, otaku

Plot Summary: Takumi Nishijō suffers from intense delusions as a result of his apparent schizophrenia and the extremely secluded lifestyle he lives as a hikkikomori. One day he accidentally stumbles upon a gruesome murder scene, a part of a chain of events called "New Generation". After this, his life gets caught up in these events, and he meets a bunch of increasingly insane anime girls with swords.
----------------------------------

Well, episode 1 turned out to be potentially fascinating. In a way, this reminds me of a combination of Welcome to NHK and Higurashi. spoiler[For instance, this stars an outcasted male lead named Takumi who's obsessed with anime and gaming to a point he gets delusional into thinking his favorite anime girl character came to life (I don't think he's a total hikikomori since he still goes to school, but he lives alone in a storage container). And now he thinks he getting more delusional when he discovers pics in the net that showed a dead man with a bunch of blades pierced through him. Things get weird when he accidentally witnessed a girl being the culprit of that murder in the pic.]

Given his state of mind, spoiler[the first episode presented whether Takumi is imagining all this or if this is the real deal. Like for example, when his sister came to visit him he thought she was drinking his soda right off the bottle, but she's drinking off the poured cup. And there's another instance where he met with a nice-looking, glasses girl who seemed to have the same interests as him including having the same favorite anime character.]

On another note, I should wait for better subs; these ones kinda of stunk.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
This was my most anticipated show of the season, and I'm definitely not disappointed.

There's so much mystery and intrigue going on here, and I got Higurashi vibes, in that you can't trust what you see and you don't actually know what you think you know. They also did just enough in this episode to make you feel intrigued unlike some shows which try to do way too much in the first episode to the point where it feels overwhelming and annoying (like GaRei). And being Madhouse, production values are all solid, and we'd have no reason to not expect the strong scriptwriting to continue throughout the show.

This might just be one of the best of the season.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
the first episode was pretty good. reminds me of Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I actually have been waiting for this series the most out the fall line-up mostly because of it's aura of Higurashi-ness...however of course, it really doesn't have anything similar other than the genre really and being delusional. I kind of had high expectations, but I really guess I'll have to see more than just the first episode. The main character guy really annoyed me...him and his clastrophobic room. Ehh anyway... It still looks promising Smile
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
So, is it actiony, or is it more of a realistic drama (with some delusional stuff thrown in)?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
So, is it actiony, or is it more of a realistic drama (with some delusional stuff thrown in)?

Definitely the latter. The main character is your average Joe who can't fight and so is everyone else. I doubt there will be much action if at all; just bloody murder and tons of psychological drama.
Raida|23

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Just watched EP01; for sure it wont be an action packed series -to answer to Ohoni- but "horror" and "psychodrama" are bound to happen...I'll sure watch it again, if it keeps like this level is good for me. I'm also curious about the visual novel now...
OP and ED arent nothing special, by the way.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Just finished up the first episode of Chaos;HEAd and, though I wasn't exactly bowled over by it, I think I'll watch the next. Psychological horror is really appealing to me when it's done right, so if it builds right in the next few episodes then this could be really good.

The main character looks so ill and is such an utter arse that it's hard to think of him in any positive light. And he's got a creepy, kind of gross way of laughing. I'm pretty sure that we're not supposed to like him, seems like the kind of person that even a hardcore otaku can look upon and say 'At least I'm not that guy'.

Didn't think much of the ED but, all the same, it's good to know that I'm 'always super special'.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting something dark and violent, but the delusional otaku hero was a surprise. A sympathetic lead, he is not, at least right now. This series looks like its going to be the lovechild of Higurashi and Welcome to the NHK, which perhaps a sprinkle of Mai HiME for good measure (based on the OP).
VDZ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Takumi doesn't believe Seira came to life; he just imagines Seira talks to him and stuff. He realizes he's only imagining it, but listens to her like she's real nonetheless.
He's not a hikikomori but instead has a 'minimum attendance shift chart', which basically tells him when to go to school, to spend the least amount of time at school possible while still graduating, spending nearly all of his remaining time at his PC. He's sometimes called (and calls himself) 'borderline hikikomori' because of this.
Extremely vague spoilers for near the end of the story: spoiler[There will probably be some action near the end, but the rest of the story is pure psychological drama and mystery.]
It will build up and become awesome, with lots of mysterious and scary stuff.
More spoilers: spoiler[Taku will remain Taku. Only at the very end does he change a little bit.]

If you're wondering how I know this stuff, I've played the visual novel (A and AA route; haven't played B route yet, but A/AA is the main story).
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
The main character looks so ill and is such an utter arse that it's hard to think of him in any positive light. And he's got a creepy, kind of gross way of laughing. I'm pretty sure that we're not supposed to like him, seems like the kind of person that even a hardcore otaku can look upon and say 'At least I'm not that guy'.
Hmm? That sucks.I'm just like the main guy.It's creepy how close to my life this was.Same mini fridge full of coke too.I was laughing all the way,but I've got friends that are far worse off than this guy.He ain't nothing.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
The show is pretty good so far, I like it. Then again I always do enjoy a series with some good old fashioned mind-screwing.
Peasantman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll hold out until the game that it is based off is finished translating.

http://www.tsukuru.info/tlwiki/index.php?title=Chaos%3BHead

it is rated 15+ and has no sex.
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:38 am Reply with quote
Peasantman wrote:
I think I'll hold out until the game that it is based off is finished translating.

http://www.tsukuru.info/tlwiki/index.php?title=Chaos%3BHead

it is rated 15+ and has no sex.

Yeah to think it has no sexual content, I think this is more brutal to rate this as 15 and above. I have seen images of brutal way of killing, I think just about it.

Although, I love anime with cute little girls that have weapons, and I dislike Takumi's delusions, it makes me confuse rather it is reality or not. But, it seems interesting on what he delussionates on himself, I like her sister more than I want to take Takumi's place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, after the second episode, I'm pretty disappointed so far. I enjoyed Higurashi, though it often got too cutesy for my taste, and it seems Chaos;HEAd may suffer from a similar problem. It's not as cutesy as Higurashi got at times, but it just feels like the transitions between certain scenes are far too jarring, the male lead is downright obnoxious (at least Keiichi was amusing to watch), and the ever increasing female harem with weapons (as shown in the OP) doesn't seem encouraging. I'll probably watch a few more episodes because I really want a good psychological drama, but we'll see...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3