• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Live Action DBZ from Fox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Portgas D. Ace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:48 am Reply with quote
Thank God. That's all I have to say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... an actual piece of news rather than a worthless Internet rumor?

Quote:
From ComingSoon.net.

Ben Ramsey Adapting Dragonball Z for Fox
Source: Variety
Friday, June 25, 2004

Screenwriter Ben Ramsey ("The Big Hit") has signed to adapt Dragonball Z for the big screen for 20th Century Fox, reports Variety. Dragonball Z was adapted from the "Dragonball" manga created by Akira Toriyama and later developed into a Japanese anime series.

"Dragonball Z" follows the adventures of an adult humanoid alien who's just discovered that he was sent to Earth to blend in and destroy our population but instead elects to protect it from an oncoming alien onslaught.

Ramsey recently wrote the adaptation of Marvel's Luke Cage at Sony's Columbia Pictures, as well as Static for Columbia-based producer Neal Moritz.

Of course, writing a screenplay is only a small step, but, still, this is more actual news about the bloody thing than we've heard since... oh, about March 2002.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Didn't fox just cancel the project?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Kyle Hebert (well, Otherworld Steve) told us the truth about what he knew about the project from the best information source he could find, some receptionist at Fox. The receptionist would likely be aware of the status of the projects in active development, but a studio like Fox would have dozens, if not hundreds, of projects on the back-burner, things that aren't in active production but are ready to go into active production should Fox feel that the time is right, and I doubt a receptionist would be aware of the exact status of all back-burner items like the live-action Dragonball Z.

So, while Kyle Hebert has infinitely more credibility than some anonymous guy on a message board somewhere going "ROLAND EMMERICH IS TEH DIRECTOR AND TEH FLIM WAS MADE IN SECRIT IN BRAZIL AND HUGH JACKMAN WAS GOIN TO BE GOKU BUT HE WAS FIRED FOR HOLDIN UP PRODUCTION", he's still, more or less, "some guy" and a serious industry news source like Variety has far more credibility than he does.

But a lot of screenplays studios commission never get produced, so I wouldn't be preordering tickets to the live-action Dragonball Z just quite yet.

Last edited by Tenchi on Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Fox was said to have canned it, but nothing was actually said by Fox itself, just from people on the inside (in this case a rep, but reps only really know what they're told to know.)

So I guess it's on... again... I wonder how long they've been siting on this info before reporting it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, if there is a screenplay, they ought to release it as a book or something just in case the movie never gets made just so we could see what could've been.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi: Third-hand information is not the best information.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:37 pm Reply with quote
If it's in Variety, I think it can be believed. I'm not paying to see the information on the Variety site, but I don't see any reason to think that ComingSoon.net is misrepresenting what is appearing in Daily Variety.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi: I'm referring to Kyle.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Ah, okay, misunderstood, but that's pretty much what I was implying before.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Filmforces original article. Right now it attributes the quotes to DragonballZ.com, but did it actually attribute those quotes to DBZ.com when the article was originally posted?

I ask this because I honestly don't remember seing any mention of DBZ.com when I first read the article.

This wouldn't be the first time Filmforce re-wrote articles after they were posted.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Looks like GATSU called it.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Looks like GATSU called it.

Indeed he did.

Hey, thanks to whoever went the extra step and got the info varified by Kang's office (Tempest, I assume it was you). It's added footwork like that which allows me to appreciate ANN more and more. Also I just added it to the news at www.dragonballtoys.com and felt ANN deserved some credit for that, but I guess I'm a bit biased. Wink

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh God no!!! Why is their being a live action movie being made of a anime series that is horrible (no plot, characters revive over and over, and fight scenes that drag on for over 20 episodes) Oh wait ADD kids + live action DBZ movie=$$$ For FOX. Twisted Evil
Onmyoji

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Oh God no!!! Why is their being a live action movie being made of a anime series that is horrible (no plot, characters revive over and over, and fight scenes that drag on for over 20 episodes) Oh wait ADD kids + live action DBZ movie=$$$ For FOX. Twisted Evil

DBZ is not a horrible anime, DBZ actually is one of the biggest draws that got a lot of people into anime. And the show just attracts people so what can i say? The show was suppose to have ended after the Frieza saga, but the show was so popular that Akira Toriyama decided to continue it. So what i really mean to say is try not to be so harsh when criticizing an anime, as whether you like it or not Dragonball Z is going down in anime history, and if the movie does as well as planned it might go down in American film history.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8