• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Live Action DBZ from Fox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:36 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I hate disputing anything you've said in the thread, but I'm pretty sure that information was just a rumour. Certainly, whoever's handling this would have some sort of continguency plans for sequels should the first one do well, but, if this thing is ever going to get a greenlight, Fox would only greenlight the first film initially.

Hmm, when you said that I did a little back tracking. Looks like it was a rumor, BUT it seems that it was actually FUNimation who started it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:57 am Reply with quote
Miagi+Emerge: I didn't really call anything. It's just Kyle who made a mistake. [Edited to cover my arse from libel.]

Tenchi: You have to understand that New Line just funded and distributed Lord of the Rings. WETA did the work.

Kyle:
Quote:
Again, to clarify, my webmaster called Fox.......not me. Though I'd like to consider myself credible, being a voice actor from the show. I'm not privy to any inside information regarding this.

Even if you were privy to inside information, you still have the responsibility of presenting your leaks with some ambivalence. Otherwise, you'll just embarass yourself like Harry Knowles.
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:05 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Proman wrote:
I really think that DB would make a good trilogy of movies.

The original news from FOX was that they'd be doing 4 movies, one for each major DBZ Saga (Saiyan Saga, Frieza Saga, Cell Saga, Buu Saga).

Emerje

I hate disputing anything you've said in the thread, but I'm pretty sure that information was just a rumour. Certainly, whoever's handling this would have some sort of continguency plans for sequels should the first one do well, but, if this thing is ever going to get a greenlight, Fox would only greenlight the first film initially.

When FOX first announced they had the rights however long ago, they said that their goal was to turn it into a Star Wars-esque multi-movie franchise.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:14 am Reply with quote
I think after LXG flopping, the effort in re-negotiating contracts for X3, and their inability to get Fantastic Four off the ground, the last thing FOX would want to to is risk money on a trilogy.
Kyle Hebert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:50 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Miagi+Emerge: I didn't really call anything. It's just Kyle who made a mistake. [Edited to cover my arse from libel.]

Tenchi: You have to understand that New Line just funded and distributed Lord of the Rings. WETA did the work.

Kyle:
Quote:
Again, to clarify, my webmaster called Fox.......not me. Though I'd like to consider myself credible, being a voice actor from the show. I'm not privy to any inside information regarding this.

Even if you were privy to inside information, you still have the responsibility of presenting your leaks with some ambivalence. Otherwise, you'll just embarass yourself like Harry Knowles.

You guys aren't reading what I said, apparently. Nobody made a "mistake". My webmaster called Fox......and the post on my site quoted what Fox said. Period. Nobody made a judgment call on it, except you guys here. I have a responsbility to NOT present leaks. "Dragonball Z" as a live action project is a Fox property, and I have heard absolutely NO discussion up at Funimation. If I did, I certainly wouldn't be posting it on the net so I could lose my job. (and again, I didn't post anything, my webmaster did). How you guys choose to accept the information that was quoted by a Fox representative is your business of course. But lets not do the blame game, so people can have somebody's name to drag through the mud for no reason. There isn't some huge conspiracy.
Izlude

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Seriously? I think all this stuff about the DBZ movie not being dead and actually in production is all - LIES LIES LIES LIES!

[EDIT - If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. -C]
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Kyle: I thought you said your webmaster called a FOX secretary, which isn't the same as someone involved in the production of the film.
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Why not just sit back and relax, and watch what happens? Thats what I'm doing. I can careless if it's gonna be bad or good. I liked DBZ and i wouldn't mind seeing the transformation of drawings to live action. Give Kyle a break, he is just trying to help. And you guys shouldn't believe everything you read or well take everything so serious. Just wait and see what happens.

Sounds like Fox is keeping a cap on the production. Can't you see? They're keeping people who want and dont want to see the movie on their toes. People dont know the status and people want to know. It's been keeping people who dont and want to see the movie have their ears tuned in.
Kyle Hebert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:08 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Kyle: I thought you said your webmaster called a FOX secretary, which isn't the same as someone involved in the production of the film.

Sigh. Nobody misrepresented anything......read the ORIGINAL post from my website. Here are some direct quotes:
---------------------------------------------------
This is exactly what I was told by my contact:
"The Dragonball Z movie? We don't have that. I 've got a lot of calls about that so I called around [the studio]. We won't be making that [movie]."
---------------------------------------------------
A contact that he spoke with on the phone is not the same thing as someone involved in the production of a film. At no point did myself or my webmaster claim to have talked to somebody directly involved. He called Fox. Fox replied. There is nothing more that can be read into this.

This was several months ago. So, either the Fox person legitamately didn't know there was some life in the project, or was not allowed to comment and decided to throw people off track.
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:02 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I think after LXG flopping, the effort in re-negotiating contracts for X3, and their inability to get Fantastic Four off the ground, the last thing FOX would want to to is risk money on a trilogy.

Fantastic Four is already in Pre-Production with Tim Story directing and Avi Arad saying to look for a full cast announcement in the next week or so.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:17 pm Reply with quote
BERSERK EVA wrote:
Sounds like Fox is keeping a cap on the production. Can't you see? They're keeping people who want and don't want to see the movie on their toes.

I don't think so. Seems more like they just haven't had anything to say up until now. If they were trying to keep things hush-hush they wouldn't be so forward with some of the info, even as much as responding to ANN's inquisitions.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:20 pm Reply with quote
This is funny. Why do you guys even care. If it come out, it will come out. You go to the theater, watch it, see if it's good and then starting saying stuff. It not like it your money there using to make the movie.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Sun wrote:
Why do you guys even care.

Because some people are fans of the franchise and others are interested in following live-action adaptations of anime? That's like asking why people care that an anime gets a good DVD release.

Sun wrote:
If it come out, it will come out. You go to the theater, watch it, see if it's good and then starting saying stuff. It not like it your money there using to make the movie.

Uh-huh, and? Why does that mean we can't speculate on the film's production?

Sun wrote:
This is funny.

No...no, not really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Sun wrote:
This is funny.

Doesn't take a whole lot to entertain you does it?
VioletRose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:05 pm Reply with quote
>_> Fox is desperate. I'd watch it though... just for kicks at least... Anime smile Since Fox lost Family Guy and Futurama to AdultSwim, I think their ratings are getting pretty low... and with the new trend of making comic into movies... plus all the people who watch dbz on CN... last ditch effort anyone?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8