• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Live Action DBZ from Fox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Uh... those are reruns that they show on CN, not new ones. Plus there are going to be new Family Guy episodes next year on Fox which I can't wait for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:13 pm Reply with quote
VioletRose wrote:
Since Fox lost Family Guy and Futurama to AdultSwim, I think their ratings are getting pretty low...

Those shows still belong to Fox, they've only contracted them out to Cartoon Network. Nothing lost, if anything they're probably making a killing off the new found popularity.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VioletRose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Mabbie the network can be saved? I didn't know they'll have new eps on Fox... esp since for some reason it didn't fare so well... least not as well... Oh well...
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Who said Fox was doing bad? Disney is the one that is doing bad. American Idol, The Simpsons, Malcolm in the Middle. Now look at Diney's hit shows... I can't think of any. The point is the company that is having troubles is is Disney. I mean Fox had 2 recent hits: Dodge Ball and Day After Tommorrow and I'm pretty sure Disney's last hit was Finding Nemo. (I'm bad at spelling in case I misapelled anything)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Kyle:
Quote:
A contact that he spoke with on the phone is not the same thing as someone involved in the production of a film. At no point did myself or my webmaster claim to have talked to somebody directly involved.

From http://www.dragonballz.com/index2.cfm?page=live, which was entitled "UNCONFIRMED-NOT ENDORSED BY FUNimation Productions Ltd.":

"...So there you have it folks. Another death nail in the DBZ live action movie coffin. That isn't to say that the film will never be made. There are other major studios besides FOX and other effects houses aside from ILM....

"...So there you have it folks. That is the OFFICIAL story from FOX. I know some of you might be disappointed, but I also think it's a blessing."

Anyway, Kyle, just admit you blew it. You tried to present an unofficial statement as fact, based on third-hand information, and you came up empty-handed.

sinister: For now.
Saiyanz rage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Fox doing bad.... hardly. Disney is far worse they just fired their CHIEF so to speak and now a re-organization is at hand along with some chaos i'm sure.

As for Kyle hebert. He did not post the news bit about FOX denying anything GATSU, his staff did. I see ton's of sites (and yes my site is NO EXCEPTION) that reports bad news or mis-informed info on the site. Such as ANN has done before. I am sure if you called FOX right now and talked to the person that answers they will probably deny it again.

It was an innocent investigative report (regardless of how it was done) to get to the bottom of a long awaited confirmation on this movie. I didn't see you, GATSU making an effort to find anything out about this, but you are quick to sling mud about it.

Also your AHEM "You tried to present an unofficial statement as fact, based on third-hand information" Doesn't every SITE base its news on 3rd party info, are we to all now NOT source sites that have found something out?. In fact wouldn't ANN be guilty of this as they OUT Source 3rd party sites (whether right or wrong). That is a pretty unfair statement made against a site that actually went out to try and CONFIRM a bit while people like you waited around for the report to come out.

Whah whah whah, He was GIVEN the wrong INFORMATION by someone at FOX and it turned out to be just that, Wrong. to sit there and criticize them for it really says a lot of your moral character and intellegence.

Don't you get it yet, FOX is the one who made the mistake by telling them it wasn't being made.

Once again KYLE didn't report this a site admin did, ripping into Kyle serves what purpose again?? other than to boost your own ego by putting someone else down.

Like the saying goes... IF YOU CAN DO BETTER SHOW ME.
Kyle Hebert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:30 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Kyle:
Quote:
A contact that he spoke with on the phone is not the same thing as someone involved in the production of a film. At no point did myself or my webmaster claim to have talked to somebody directly involved.

From http://www.dragonballz.com/index2.cfm?page=live, which was entitled "UNCONFIRMED-NOT ENDORSED BY FUNimation Productions Ltd.":

"...So there you have it folks. Another death nail in the DBZ live action movie coffin. That isn't to say that the film will never be made. There are other major studios besides FOX and other effects houses aside from ILM....

"...So there you have it folks. That is the OFFICIAL story from FOX. I know some of you might be disappointed, but I also think it's a blessing."

Anyway, Kyle, just admit you blew it. You tried to present an unofficial statement as fact, based on third-hand information, and you came up empty-handed.

sinister: For now.

Seriously, what is your problem????????? I didn't blow anything. How can I come up empty-handed when this has nothing to do with me in the first place? Just so ya know, EVERYTHING you quoted in your latest reply was from my webmaster's original post, NOT Funimation. Funimation quoted MY webmaster's post on their official site. They said they weren't endorsing it, and who knows why an official site decided to post something they wouldn't endorse? (feel free to take that up with them)

I didn't present anything.......my webmaster did. There is nothing "unofficial" about it. It was what it was. Read, inform yourself with the facts, and please stop the drama.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:29 am Reply with quote
Kyle:
Quote:
Seriously, what is your problem????????? I didn't blow anything. How can I come up empty-handed when this has nothing to do with me in the first place? Just so ya know, EVERYTHING you quoted in your latest reply was from my webmaster's original post, NOT Funimation.

I know. FUNimation linked your site when they quoted it.

Quote:
They said they weren't endorsing it, and who knows why an official site decided to post something they wouldn't endorse?

Maybe because they're an official site, and your domain isn't one? Anyway, my only problem is when you or your webmaster post an unverified news item as fact. That is all.

saiyanz rage:
Quote:
I am sure if you called FOX right now and talked to the person that answers they will probably deny it again.

Even if they did deny it, that does not equal "official".

Quote:
It was an innocent investigative report (regardless of how it was done) to get to the bottom of a long awaited confirmation on this movie. I didn't see you, GATSU making an effort to find anything out about this, but you are quick to sling mud about it.

Actually, I did find out about this by checking out the official site and called Kyle's site on it a while ago. But if you want to be unprofessional like Harry Knowles and talk to a janitor instead of a producer, go ahead.

Quote:
Also your AHEM "You tried to present an unofficial statement as fact, based on third-hand information" Doesn't every SITE base its news on 3rd party info, are we to all now NOT source sites that have found something out?.

If the site has official information, then it's only second-hand information.

Quote:
In fact wouldn't ANN be guilty of this as they OUT Source 3rd party sites (whether right or wrong).

I've only seen ANN make one mistake in the years I've read their site,by talking to some random fan about the Evangelion movies. (I don't even remember what it was about anymore. I think AOD saying a second Bebop series was in production pissed me off more. ) And I called them on it too. So it's not personal.

Quote:
Whah whah whah, He was GIVEN the wrong INFORMATION by someone at FOX and it turned out to be just that, Wrong. to sit there and criticize them for it really says a lot of your moral character and intellegence.

I'm sorry, but it just lacks professionalism. The webmaster at Kyle's site doesn't even want to admit they were wrong.

Quote:
Don't you get it yet, FOX is the one who made the mistake by telling them it wasn't being made.

The thing is, it wasn't FOX the corporation that made the statement. It was just some lackey who handles random callers who don't matter, unless they're famous. If it was FOX, you'd be seeing it printed in a major newspaper by now.

Quote:
Once again KYLE didn't report this a site admin did, ripping into Kyle serves what purpose again?? other than to boost your own ego by putting someone else down.

Then get a better site admin., because he/she's making Kyle look bad.
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:13 am Reply with quote
The sheear amount of disinformation and ignorance in this thread is staggering.

First, this movie being made has NOTHING to do with the FOX Network. It doesn't have anything to do with Family Guy or The Simpsons or Malcolm in the Middle. The only link is the fact that 20th Century Fox, the studio that will be making the movie, is owned by NewsCorp. NewsCorp also owns FOX Broadcasting. The two share a corporate parents, but the FOX network has nothing to do with this movie.

At all.

Secondly, Disney didn't fire their Chief. Eisner is still firmly in place as CEO. His job duties were split up, but that was merely a semantics play. What you're probably refering to is Roy E. Disney and Stan Gold QUITTING the Board of Directors in protest of Eisner's continued prescence at the company. They were not fired.

Third, FOX is typically third in the ratings. American Idol usually propels it's ratings fairly decently, but it's about the only huge hit they have. Malcolm in the Middle isn't nearly the hit it used to be, and even The Simpsons has lost some ground. But what any of that has to do with a Dragonball Z movie, I'll never know.
Saiyanz rage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually, I did find out about this by checking out the official site and called Kyle's site on it a while ago... Harry Knowles and talk to a janitor instead of a producer, go ahead

I don't think An average joe blow Like Outer world steve would be ABLE to talk to a producer from a major company like fox.
And well If you think that it is soooo easy to call and confirm if a bit is truth or not then why didn't you call ?? I mean if Steve could call FOX couldn't you pick up the phone and Dial the number (unless mommy and daddy won't let you make Long distance calls) ??

Quote:
If the site has official information, then it's only second-hand information

Really Is it, I have seen ANN source many sites who had Sourced another site EVEN sourced something from word of mouth. (IE from Warner Brothers to reuters To ANN isn't that 3rd party since ANN didn't get the speed racer bit from Warner bros, OMG what is Reuters was wrong and Warner brothers gave them wrong info would Reuters be to blame ??).

Quote:
I've only seen ANN make one mistake in the years I've read their site,by talking to some random fan about the Evangelion movies

And the report on the Live Action DBZ movie doesn't fit this Qualification of a MISTAKE??

Quote:
The thing is, it wasn't FOX the corporation that made the statement. It was just some lackey who handles random callers who don't matter, unless they're famous. If it was FOX, you'd be seeing it printed in a major newspaper by now.

So what happened is they called FOX and they got transfered to someone who was posing as an employee of FOX??
Also FOX has confirmed this, should I expect it posted at some newspaper and would you please be kind enough to let me know Which newspaper and when it gets printed I mean after all they DID officialy confirm and you STATED that If It was Fox it would be printed in newspapers.

Quote:
Then get a better site admin., because he/she's making Kyle look bad

Then ANN better get a new admin as well since they posted a NON-Verified Article and it turned out to be WRONG.

Oh wait I know, ANN trusted KH.com cause they thought it was a credible source and figured they didn't need to confirm it any further. OMG thats DejaVU, cause didn't KH.com Trust what they thought to be a FOX employee and didn't further the inquiry as they took this FOX PHONE CALL as a credible source (I mean you dial the number provided by FOX, who would've thought you would get a NON-FOX employee on the line LOL) .

Well ANN, in-advertently GATSU says get a new ADMIN here !

As far as the Janitor thing you must be talking about Mr Z or whatever his name is. Now you are comparing apples and oranges, god only knows if Z even really exist, but a phone call to a FOX provided number who would've thought that the person who answers was just as imaginary as Mr. Z the janitor LOL

my bad you are right Roy E. Disney And Stanley P. Gold quit (I don't know where I saw FIRED at).
Roy is WALTS nephew and Stanley heads a Shamrock company (i don't know the exact name).
Not to mention the Pixar departure from Disney.

I believe the Fox/Disney disussion came from who they believe SHOULD've made the movie (DBZ).

As for Foxs' ratings, it closely follows behind cbs, nbc, abc and UPN. They are normally in the top 6, but it's probably due to MLB and Idol.

Last edited by Saiyanz rage on Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:48 am Reply with quote
saiyanz rage:
Quote:
I don't think An average joe blow Like Outer world steve would be ABLE to talk to a producer from a major company like fox.

Then he shouldn't be acting like he did.

Quote:
And well If you think that it is soooo easy to call and confirm if a bit is truth or not then why didn't you call ??

I didn't have to call. As I said earlier, I just checked FUNimation's Dragon Ball site. But I admit it was pretty easy.

Quote:
I mean if Steve could call FOX couldn't you pick up the phone and Dial the number (unless mommy and daddy won't let you make Long distance calls) ??

Actually, I live in L.A., so long distance wouldn't be an issue. Hell, when I found out Magnolia Pictures was going to release the Luc Besson-edited Ong Bak in theaters, I e-mailed one of the executives in NYC to show my indifference, and he called me! So it's not that tough, as long you look for the right people.

Quote:
Really Is it, I have seen ANN source many sites who had Sourced another site EVEN sourced something from word of mouth. (IE from Warner Brothers to reuters To ANN isn't that 3rd party since ANN didn't get the speed racer bit from Warner bros, OMG what is Reuters was wrong and Warner brothers gave them wrong info would Reuters be to blame ??).

Reuters can make mistakes, but they're less likely to make mistakes than some fan who runs a site.

Quote:
And the report on the Live Action DBZ movie doesn't fit this Qualification of a MISTAKE??

No, because the source they got it from claimed it was official, so they're the ones to blame, not ANN.

Quote:
So what happened is they called FOX and they got transfered to someone who was posing as an employee of FOX??

No, just someone who was employed for FOX who handled calls, not someone who actually works on or makes decisions in regards to their movie projects.

Quote:
Also FOX has confirmed this,

No they did not. A receptionist at FOX "confirmed" it. There's a difference.

Quote:
should I expect it posted at some newspaper and would you please be kind enough to let me know Which newspaper and when it gets printed

Variety-which Superhero Hype cited-is a good source.

Quote:
Then ANN better get a new admin as well since they posted a NON-Verified Article and it turned out to be WRONG.

Again, they weren't the ones who were responsible for verifying it.

Quote:
Oh wait I know, ANN trusted KH.com cause they thought it was a credible source and figured they didn't need to confirm it any further.

Yep. It didn't help that Steve, Kyle, or whoever was responsible said it was official.

Quote:
OMG thats DejaVU, cause didn't KH.com Trust what they thought to be a FOX employee and didn't further the inquiry as they took this FOX PHONE CALL as a credible source (I mean you dial the number provided by FOX, who would've thought you would get a NON-FOX employee on the line LOL)

They were a lower-level FOX employee is the point I'm making.
Saiyanz rage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Again, they weren't the ones who were responsible for verifying it.

That doesn't make any sense at all Isn't calling a fox number a form of VERIFYING it.

Since when do you decide who is A LOWER employee at a company you do not work at..... ??

And an online NEWSPAPER is more credible than calling the actual company ??
LOL Ok that makes sense. 2nd PARTY info is MORE credible than calling the source itself. This is rather disturbing thinking. If that is the case isn't ANN taking a big chance by calling the KANG studio and talking to a lower employee ??
More so Isn't almost all info Gathered by magazines done this way CALLING the offices??

Quote:
Then he shouldn't be acting like he did.

Didn't see it in his post that he ever stated talking to a producer YOu think he said that.... SAY IT WITH ME ASSume

Quote:
didn't have to call. As I said earlier, I just checked FUNimation's Dragon Ball site. But I admit it was pretty easy

Wasn't the official site posting something WRONG as well ??
I may be mis-understanding your post BUt that doesn't say anything about how easy it is to call a company like Fox KNOW who you are talking to and request to talk to a PRODUCER to confirm a bit about a DBZ movie that they may want to keep under wraps. In fact ANN themselves (one of the biggest sites for anime news) stated they didn't talk to the producer himself.

Now you are focusing on the word "Official" and rightfully so as that may have been the downfall of the post, BUT is it truely fair to rip them for stating what was told to them by a FOX representative cause if you are as smart as you sound THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT A PERSON WHO ANSWERS THE PHONE AT A BUSINESS "A REPRESENTATIVE".

Thats like me ripping on ANN for reporting something that was FALSE such as this topic, they sourced an IGN article who sourced KH.com and it was wrong, doesn't that make ANN JUST as wrong for not VERIFYING something posted by a FANSITE (AS you so clearly stated in your own words)??

Same situation I mean ANN has the sources to verify sich a thing are they at fault for not verifying something a FANSITE reported??

Once again ANN took the credibility of KH/IGN word and didn't follow through JUST as KH.com Admin took the word of a FOX REPRESENTATVE and they turned out to be wrong. ANN nor KH is to blame, FOX needs to get their CRAP straight.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:27 am Reply with quote
Saiyan:
Quote:
That doesn't make any sense at all Isn't calling a fox number a form of VERIFYING it.

Not if you don't reach someone who would be involved with the project.

Quote:
Since when do you decide who is A LOWER employee at a company you do not work at..... ??

When that employee doesn't actually do any of the work that's involved in running the company?

Quote:
And an online NEWSPAPER is more credible than calling the actual company ??

Variety has an online website, but has been in print for decades.

Quote:
If that is the case isn't ANN taking a big chance by calling the KANG studio and talking to a lower employee ??
More so Isn't almost all info Gathered by magazines done this way CALLING the offices??

Calling the offices and getting into contact with the people who matter.

Quote:
Didn't see it in his post that he ever stated talking to a producer YOu think he said that.... SAY IT WITH ME ASSume

He acted like it was the truth.

Quote:
Wasn't the official site posting something WRONG as well ??

No, because they talk to the people who matter.

Quote:
I may be mis-understanding your post BUt that doesn't say anything about how easy it is to call a company like Fox KNOW who you are talking to and request to talk to a PRODUCER to confirm a bit about a DBZ movie that they may want to keep under wraps.

Sure it does. I know people on another forum who were able to get into contact with their dvd department, so it shouldn't be that tough to reach producers.

Quote:
In fact ANN themselves (one of the biggest sites for anime news) stated they didn't talk to the producer himself.

ANN's not responsible for other people's mistakes.

Quote:
Now you are focusing on the word "Official" and rightfully so as that may have been the downfall of the post, BUT is it truely fair to rip them for stating what was told to them by a FOX representative cause if you are as smart as you sound THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT A PERSON WHO ANSWERS THE PHONE AT A BUSINESS "A REPRESENTATIVE".

No, a person who answers a phone at a business is a secretary.

Quote:
Thats like me ripping on ANN for reporting something that was FALSE such as this topic,

Yep.

Quote:
they sourced an IGN article who sourced KH.com and it was wrong, doesn't that make ANN JUST as wrong for not VERIFYING something posted by a FANSITE (AS you so clearly stated in your own words)??

Nope. Again, stop blaming other people for your mistakes. You're embarassing yourself.

Quote:
Same situation I mean ANN has the sources to verify sich a thing are they at fault for not verifying something a FANSITE reported??

Nope. The fansite in question posted the news first, so the burden of proof is on them.

Quote:
Once again ANN took the credibility of KH/IGN word and didn't follow through JUST as KH.com Admin took the word of a FOX REPRESENTATVE and they turned out to be wrong. ANN nor KH is to blame, FOX needs to get their CRAP straight.

Now you're blaming FOX. They're not stupid enough to reveal trade secrets over the phone.
Kyle Hebert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Okay, Gatsu, this is totally ridiculous to go round and round. My webmaster AND Funimation NEVER said anything was "official". PLease stop putting words in our mouth. Lets get off this high-horse about how me or my site isn't a reputable source and allow me to (yet AGAIN) simplify things for you.

OKay...........read the following very slowly:

My webmaster called Fox to ask about the status of the live action Z movie. He was told it wasn't getting made. And he decided to post the outcome of that phone call because he thought fans would want to know.

That's it.

No, really!

There's nothing else to it. No conspiracy. You have blown it up to be so much more than it is, and for what? To stir things up on a forum? Myself and my website have better things to do than mislead the public. We just post stuff that fans would be interested in. We covered our bases. This news about a screenwriter being hired doesn't suggest that I'm not a reputable source........all it means is that the Fox person my webmaster spoke with either didn't know all the facts, or was told to say "that project is dead". That's it. End of story.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:54 pm Reply with quote
This topic is getting out of hand.

Before I lock it, I would like to state my opinion on it, and permit people to contradict me should they please.

Personally, Kyle Hebert & Steve did nothing wrong. They were relatively clear about the fact that the person who denied the existence of the movie didn't know anything about it. It is for that very reason that I chose not to re-post that information when they first posted it several months ago.

Flash forward to the recent news posting on ANN. Something went wrong, and I have to take responsibility for that. Filmforce.com repeated what Steve had said on KyleHebert.com. I read that, and I honestly don't remember any mention of outside sources (DBZ.com or kylehebert.com) back when I originally read their news item. And they weren't quite as clear as Steve was about the source of the information, they quoted Steve's post in part, but in the process made it sound a bit more official than Steve ever did.

I acted on filmforce's post.

And in all reality, I should not have.

Hindsight... <sigh>

Last edited by Tempest on Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8