• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mouryou no Hako.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Mouryou no Hako

Here's another of Madhouse Studios' horror, mystery thriller series for the fall season, and this one has the original character designs done by CLAMP (in which they're beautifully adapted by Simoun's character designer Asako Nishida). And oh man, now this has damn good potential! Especially with the opening scene spoiler[of the man meeting another man carrying a box in the train. And inside that box was a head of a girl who's still wide-eyed and can voice. Pretty damn creepy there!]

And then the next part dealt with two girls (I have to say that the yuri subtext level is pretty damn high! *sigh* that's still not enough though Crying or Very sad) spoiler[such that one girl named Kanako Yuzuki told Yoriko Kusumoto that they're one in the same, whatever that means. Those two ended up spending lots and lots of time together along with dancing with each other under the falling cherry blossom petals to cuddling each other on a boat under the moonlight. This episode ended with Yoriko witnessing Kanako jumping onto the train tracks and getting run over. As the paramedics carried Kanako's body on a stretcher, she then smiled.]

spoiler[It even showed a glimpse of the detective's past life during WWII which I thought was interesting and may play a role in the future (just to note, that detective was in that train when the accident occurred).]

This is one series Madhouse obviously spent a good amount of budget on since the visual were drop-dead gorgeous, and they obviously have experience in creating such a creepy yet beautiful atmosphere. I found it interesting this series takes place in the 1950s which they definitely accounted for.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote
After watching the first two episodes, I have to say I am severely impressed. It maintains a creepy atmosphere, and it doesn't really tell us much. I like how it jumps between times and I am anticipating episode 3, in hope it will reveal more (Although it won't Very Happy)
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm astonished that this isn't attracting more attention.

The first episode provided enough hooks for me to continue, even though I'm not terribly enthralled by old shoujo melodrama with a pretentious-as-hell girl.

The second episode delivers, though. Really love how they bring a lot of the conspiratorial elements to the forefront.

Yet what really seals it for me is the foreboading atmosphere. You just FEEL that there is something seriously screwed up, and really helps the sense of paranoia that the mystery brings. There are so many little (and big) things to grab your attention, as well.. spoiler[The "hospital box" itself is fairly standard but is able to really pull off a menacing tone; check out the scene that ends episode three for a great example of that.]

Looking forward to more.
Labbes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
I wonder what in the show is a dream, and what is not. spoiler[Removing someone's arms and legs is sick already, but substituting them with mechanical ones...I wonder where this is going.]
The zoomed shots on mouths while saying something like "Mouryou" are really creepy, the first time I saw that it rather freaked me out.
And...spoiler[what about that pimple?]

Anyway, I am really looking forward to the new episode, whenever it will come. Fall season rocks, and this show is one of the reasons for it.

Edit: I forgot. The hospital room with all those machines and the veil above the bed is very memorable, because it is mysterious and intimidating at the same time. While I don't expect hospital rooms to be as comfortable as my own one, I would not want to stay in such a room longer than five minutes,
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Maybe it's yet another case of "meaningful yet incomprehensible title" in the fansub circuit? At least "Goblin Box" gives some clue as to what genre to expect.
Labbes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
HellKorn wrote:
Maybe it's yet another case of "meaningful yet incomprehensible title" in the fansub circuit? At least "Goblin Box" gives some clue as to what genre to expect.

I doubt it, because, iirc Moryou no Hako and Akane-Iro something have approx. the same amount of downloads, only that Akane-Iro something seems to be more popular on ANN. Which is not good Very Happy
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
HellKorn wrote:

I doubt it, because, iirc Moryou no Hako and Akane-Iro something have approx. the same amount of downloads, only that Akane-Iro something seems to be more popular on ANN. Which is not good Very Happy
I'd chalk that up to the presence of several visual novel adaptation junkies on this forum. Not that I'd know anything about that Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Anyway, enough said about that issue. I won't bring it up again.
mgrace7410

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:46 am Reply with quote
This is an awesome series.
Valetina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Mouryou no Hako is such an awsome series. Can not wait for this series to get licenesed. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1