• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: XXXHOLiC DVD 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackCox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I think your dead wrong about Haberkorn as Watanuki. The fact is I think Watanuki is very much over the top and a very easily angered person and I think Todd Nails the performance perfectly.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quote
Ha ha, I was going to post about that even before I saw the first response here. I haven't seen much of the series, but I thought he was a very funny, dynamic Watanuki, and you can't complain about him being annoying, I mean...

...It's like the "Excel" argument. You can't say Excel was horrible and annoying in the dub because...she was SUPPOSED to be horrible and annoying and when the language is foreign to us, it doesn't seem as bad. It's just high-pitched obnoxious gibberish, and it's quite funny. Then you bring it home to English and it's like, "Oh gosh, just shut up, I hate you." -.-'

Same concept here.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:48 am Reply with quote
I thought Todd Haberkorn was amazing as Watanuki. One of the best dubs of the year, C+ doesn't make sense to me but Carlo Santos has always been a harsh critic.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I loved this volume, personally. And I do agree with the other posters. with Watanuki's flailing around and getting mad all the time, I'd expect him to be over the top. I also found the snow ball fight to be pretty hilarious with the giant Mokona. The ending song is pretty great too since air guitar is always fun.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Ha ha, I was going to post about that even before I saw the first response here. I haven't seen much of the series, but I thought he was a very funny, dynamic Watanuki, and you can't complain about him being annoying, I mean...

...It's like the "Excel" argument. You can't say Excel was horrible and annoying in the dub because...she was SUPPOSED to be horrible and annoying and when the language is foreign to us, it doesn't seem as bad. It's just high-pitched obnoxious gibberish, and it's quite funny. Then you bring it home to English and it's like, "Oh gosh, just shut up, I hate you." -.-'

Same concept here.

Yeah, except listening to the Excel dub is no different than having Obadiah Stane use his little paralysis gizmo...

Bad comparison, dude.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Levon_r wrote:
I thought Todd Haberkorn was amazing as Watanuki. One of the best dubs of the year, C+ doesn't make sense to me but Carlo Santos has always been a harsh critic.

It's still above average, C being average. Laughing
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
I've been collecting this and I didn't even realize it was out. I wonder why Best Buy doesn't even list this Volume - they have Volume 6 in their system, but not 5. Strange...
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
I've been collecting this and I didn't even realize it was out. I wonder why Best Buy doesn't even list this Volume - they have Volume 6 in their system, but not 5. Strange...

Ah, so you have a screwed up Best Buy as well...

See, we're not so different, brother.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

Same concept here.

Yeah, except listening to the Excel dub is no different than having Obadiah Stane use his little paralysis gizmo...

Bad comparison, dude.

Served its purpose. It was supposed to be about that off-putting, and some people love it, some people hate it. I tend to hop off either side of the fence depending on the episode, but prefer the visual to the verbal humor anyway.

And my veins didn't turn blue while watching it, so bad comparison THERE, dude. Wink
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
snl67 wrote:

Ah, so you have a screwed up Best Buy as well...

See, we're not so different, brother.

Yeah, but unlike your store just not carrying it, they don't even list it as available online! Skips right over to Volume 6. Looks like I'll have to order this one online.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

Same concept here.

Bad comparison, dude.

Served its purpose. It was supposed to be about that off-putting, and some people love it, some people hate it. I tend to hop off either side of the fence depending on the episode, but prefer the visual to the verbal humor anyway.

And my veins didn't turn blue while watching it, so bad comparison THERE, dude. Wink

Mine did. =_= So I guess it's an impartial comparison...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1