• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Full Moon o Sagashite Episodes 40-52 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote
"It may not be great anime..."? Oh wow.... just... wow.... Really Carl? Really?
naninanino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:46 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Yeah. I can't quite get what he wants to say by that either.
Banden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:02 am Reply with quote
This is one of those shows it sincerely boggles the mind that ANN would ask Carl, of all people, to review?

Equal opportunity and equal workload are important for reviewers who write for ANN, I get it, and I agree in principle. But I can't help but wonder, if Carl didn't happen to be a professional anime reviewer, would he ever in a million years have sat through Full Moon? The results seem predictable.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:08 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

I don't see the problem here. Are you saying Full Moon is one of the few great anime?

Most titles are average, some are good (this is where I put Full Moon) and a few are great.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's sometimes easy to forget the simple pleasure of watching a series end. Not just finish up its run, but really end. You know, the thing that happens when you gather up your various plot threads, braid them together and then tie them off, leaving no convenient back doors through which to sneak a sequel.

It is easy to forget because the majority of anime series never ends, but stops half-way through adapting its source material and leaves you hanging with a "you want to know what happens next? well buy the books".

Full Moon was cute enough. The songs were nice as well. I prefer them to most of what K-On had to offer. And the difference between Mitsuki's speaking and singing voice is fun. So glad they didn't make her sing in the standard annoying high-pitched anime song voices >.>
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:28 am Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:

I don't see the problem here. Are you saying Full Moon is one of the few great anime?

Uhm... well yeah... that IS what I'm saying.
machetecat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote
This anime was very "meh" for me. I just really, REALLY loved how the manga did things, and while I can understand re-writing it so spoiler[she doesn't know about Eichi's death from the beginning] because the author had wanted the anime to do the different route, it just doesn't have the same impact as the manga had.

And then the finale, thespoiler[ re-incarnation and then ending the series after the two see each other] just doesn't even come CLOSE to the beautiful ending of the manga. spoiler[When Mitsuki sees Takuto alive and well and just runs off the stage, shouting at him for hiding from her for all that time and then finally just kissing him]. It's freaking beautiful. And then spoiler[when singing the final song she finally lets Eichi's spirit go, and through no dialogue at all he just fights it with everything he has until he realizes she's happy and moves on himself...] I lost it.

I think the anime is cute and all that, and it follows most of the story pretty well... but not only is the manga shorter, to me it's the best adaptation to read. The art's better and the way the manga tells the story just awe'd me in ways the anime did not. If you're gonna watch the show, I'd recommend doing it before reading the manga, as I had read that finale first, and was SEVERELY disappointed by how the anime just failed to deliver the same kind of emotions.

So yeah, the manga of Full Moon o Sagashite: My favorite shojo ending ever... probably my favorite manga ending, period. The anime: It's okay, I guess... but it really doesn't do the manga justice.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
This anime was very "meh" for me. I just really, REALLY loved how the manga did things, and while I can understand re-writing it so spoiler[she doesn't know about Eichi's death from the beginning] because the author had wanted the anime to do the different route, it just doesn't have the same impact as the manga had.

This, this manga is the only one to actually make me cry (although it was for a different reason than the spoiler listed above) and the anime just didn't hit me as hard. For me it's an alright magical girl show but the manga is probably the manga-ka's greatest.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
jyuichi wrote:

Uhm... well yeah... that IS what I'm saying.

Ditto.

I'm still disappointed that this series didn't get a complete DVD release. It's one of my favorites. Yes, the manga is even better, but I love the anime, too.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
This series is pretty damn good for a "fantasy idol" kid's show...but not that amazing if you don't make allowances for that lukewarm genre. The trick used to allow Takuto to spoiler[actually have been alive the whole time] is pretty cheesy and I think all the time it spends being goofy dilutes the whole impending death thing as well as not being particularly good on its own merits.

I prefer the manga for being more focused. Mitsuki is also more interesting, being less of a Pollyanna and actually kind of a dark, obsessed character. It goes deeper into the feelings of loss that saturate the main conflict.

The manga's plot goes a bit scattershot towards the end and its explanation for why Mitsuki spoiler[survives ] is much, much worse, though: spoiler[the malignant cancer just wasn't as bad as they thought and she got better on her own!]
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Did the reviewer suddenly get struck with blindness? D for aria tanemura's art really, she has by far one of my favorite art styles. I am a guy and harem and scifi fantasy are my favorite genres, but Full Moon is in my top ten.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Did the reviewer suddenly get struck with blindness? D for aria tanemura's art really,

D+ for animation; B for art.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Overall, I enjoyed the series a lot. I wouldn't say it's one of my highest shoujo favorites, but it's up there and I'd want to own it if the home video release were ever completed (which seems very unlikely under Viz). Good that I finally got to finish up, though I would have liked it if the dubbed version were on Hulu too, as the credits indicate they definitely finished work on it. I preferred Mitsuki's speaking voice in the dub and would be very interested in hearing how the dub did the later half of the series.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Like others, I was really glad to finish this series.
I thought the 7 dvds on the shelf would never be watched, I had only seen through episode 12 (but had preordered all that was available) when the release was cancelled.

Viz could easily take the Section 23 route and throw the remainder out as a sub only set, virtually zero risk. I wonder how far the dub went though, the credits indicate possibly the entire way?
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Did the reviewer suddenly get struck with blindness? D for aria tanemura's art really,

D+ for animation; B for art.

B is still to low, and , I own the dvds, the animation quality is most certainly not that low; honestly barring some really half assed work in like naruto fillers, grading something like animation is semantics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3