• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: The Chronicles of Answerman

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
li_izumi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:03 am Reply with quote
Hi, I'm Li, and I'm new. (Well, new in that this is the first time I've registered, though I've been lurking for quite a while.)

Anyway, I just wanted to correct slightly an answer that the wonderful Ms. Answerman gave for the question on the comic party manga.

The CPM and Tokyopop manga are actually related. The Tokyopop release, as Ms. Answerman said, focuses on one guy who wants to become a mangaka. It is a linear story drawn by one guy. The CPM manga is based on the same characters and the same basic premise, but this release was a doujinshi. It is a lot of short stories by many different artists. It's actually a quite cute collection of short stories about trying to be a doujinshi mangaka, though it does get a little repeative, as most of the stories focus on upcoming deadlines and the like. I'd also like to state that there really isn't any yaoi in the book, though there are plenty of referenses to it in the sense of the characters are going to draw a yaoi doujinshi, as that is what will sell in the big comic market.

~li
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:35 pm Reply with quote
About the episode & movie count for Inuyasha, don't people check the ANN Encyclopedia anymore? Also I agree buying bootleg is wrong, but the majority of the people that buy thier anime online don't know they're buying bootleg.

At 3 episode per dvd that funimation is realesing, I seriously doubt most people can afford all of the inuyasha dvd unless they're true die-hard fan.
pythos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At 3 episode per dvd that funimation is realesing...

It's Viz, not Funimation.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:32 pm Reply with quote
pythos wrote:
Quote:
At 3 episode per dvd that funimation is realesing...

It's Viz, not Funimation.

oops my bad...got confused with yu-yu. Well either way viz or funimation, it's still 3 episode per dvd with little extra for most popular title airing on tv. They're milking the series for as much as they can just like dbz, digimon and soon to be one piece and full metal alchemist.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:24 am Reply with quote
Viz is a business. They're trying to make a profit. For them to do that well enough to stay in business they do 3-4 eps per disc for $29.95 per disc. In Japan, they get about 2 eps per disc for about the equivalent of $40. Would you rather pay $10/ep or $20/ep? Also, a DVD can only hold so much data. They could put more on a disc, but the quality of the audio and video would suffer.
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:16 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Also, a DVD can only hold so much data. They could put more on a disc, but the quality of the audio and video would suffer.

What about the Fruits Basket DVDs that have 6 (and I think even 7) episodes on them? I never noticed any significant audio/video problems, although perhaps I wasn't paying that much attention Anime dazed
phoelixian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:56 am Reply with quote
Though most of the anime series I've seen comes with stereo and not 5.1 audio (5.1 takes a lot more room on a disc), you will notice a video difference, most noticeably with artifacts, on larger monitors, higher-res CRT's and HDTV's. So it really depends on the screen you are watching what you can/can't get away with.
NomortaL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:51 am Reply with quote
Oh, they can fit up to 5 at least just fine. i promise.
phoelixian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:10 pm Reply with quote
NomortaL wrote:
Oh, they can fit up to 5 at least just fine. i promise.

Yeah, that's pretty much true. One side of a dvd, dual-layered holds about 2 hours of video just fine. Once you start to add more audio options and extra features to the disc, however, either the episode count needs to come down or you further compress the video and/or audio to make room.
YUGI

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:33 pm Reply with quote
single layered holds 2 hours dual alyered costs the same but it can hold up to 5 hours of good. Then theres high def which is 15 gb they cost 5% to make. I geuss it holds 7 hours.
phoelixian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen a dvd capable of holding more than 4.7 gigs (120mins) per side.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:08 pm Reply with quote
A dual-layered disc (DVD-9) can hold about 8 GB.
phoelixian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:46 am Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
A dual-layered disc (DVD-9) can hold about 8 GB.

I thought DVD-9's were double sided, not dual-layered. My bad. Thanks for the link.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1