• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's YouTube Channel Schedules Shikabane Hime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Cetus-kun wrote:
It's not long at all if you consider how long it took Viz to put up downloads of Death Note when it was originally airing (I don't remember exactly how long it took, but it was months and the series had already aired twelve episodes).

Viz claimed they were going to have episodes available the same day as the Japanese episodes aired. They made this claim after a third of the series aired... and didn't have their streams going until the series was over or nearly over.

BOST has had their Gonzo series available at the about the same time the Japanese episodes aired (within a few hours, I think) and Funi's doesn't quite compare to that. However, Funimation is the first company that actually releases R1 DVDs to get anywhere near the air date of Japan on this stuff, so I'd say they are doing pretty darn good. Sure, its after episode 2 already aired, but fansubs took nearly two weeks start Skip Beat and Mouryou no Haku too. In addition, multiple series I have been watching for months are behind by as much or more than Funi is this (I'm still waiting on Daughter of Twenty Faces, Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, and Wagaya no Oinari-sama).
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I interrupt this intelligent discourse for a period of unrestrained rejoicing! Please stand by.

HECK YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

That is all. You may now return to discussing why you're unhappy that Funimation licensed this/GAINAX made it/you ever heard of it. Have a GAINAXtastic day.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And so far, I'm far less than enthralled with the show, probably because we all expect shows to be the next Gurren Lagann or Gunbuster/Diebuster from Gainax now.

Personally, I think it's nice that Gainax is trying something non-mecha again -- of course, I actually like the show quite a bit.

This is definitely a good start from Funimation. As many others have said, two weeks isn't really bad in terms of fansubs, especially comparing to most of the high-quality groups (then again, this is only a YouTube stream).

On that note, unless the quality of the stream is way above normal YouTube quality, there's no way I'm watching this.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
In addition, multiple series I have been watching for months are behind by as much or more than Funi is this (I'm still waiting on Daughter of Twenty Faces, Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, and Wagaya no Oinari-sama).

Ditto on Nijuu Mensou and Wagaya, man. With regards to the former, maybe Tofusensei could give us an update? Cool
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm just happy to see a new series being posted somewhere other than CR. I'm planning on at least checking this out to see how the subtitles compare.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
Actually, sorry, I have to break the argument. Two weeks for good fansubs is actually a rather long time to wait, we're not used to groups doing it either 0 day or 1 day for good titles. Two weeks would be unacceptable unless it really was a show no one cared about.

And there is a good group subbing this show, so I don't see "offiicial" subs could be better here.
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Actually, sorry, I have to break the argument. Two weeks for good fansubs is actually a rather long time to wait, we're not used to groups doing it either 0 day or 1 day for good titles. Two weeks would be unacceptable unless it really was a show no one cared about.

And there is a good group subbing this show, so I don't see "offiicial" subs could be better here.

Actually the group I think you're referring to drops titles that get licensed if I recall correctly.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:41 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Depends on your definition for "good", I think. Granted, there are still exceptions, such as they-who-must-not-be-named who subbed Code Geass/R2, but a lot of the groups I use can easily take a week or two after an episode first airs.

But yeah, you're right about Shikabane Hime anyway, as there is a pretty decent group subbing it. Whether or not they drop the show, I guess we'll see.
Shuchung

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
Too bad it's on Youtube where there's only going to be 10 people watching it. Should have put it up on Crunchyroll.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:07 am Reply with quote
Oh dear. People are expected to watch low definition crap over high definition video. That's not very logical FUNi. Did you consider streaming it in high definition on hulu? It prob region blocked so hulu streaming won't make much of a difference.

If you're trying to establish yourselves as a viable alternative to fansubs, then you need to stream in high definition and not be 3 weeks late (Third episode has already aired). You know like what GONZO is doing.

Anyways, thanks for the effort.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't youtube have a high quality feed?
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Doesn't youtube have a high quality feed?

It does, but it's definitely not HD quality when it's full screened. It's still nice and clear at its regular resolution though. Actually I don't mind watching at a small size since my glasses kind of make it hard to read the subs if I do full screen it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
DVDs are on par with TV, not greater [,,,] fansubs are legitimately much better to watch. They aren't DVD quality or even close unless they are DVD rips, which they won't be for many months if ever.

Actually, with HD broadcasts TV quality is often a lot higher than DVD quality. A fansub using a HD rip combined with more advanced compression than DVD allows can quite conceivably be better then the DVDs. I've seen a comparison of the Dennou Coil DVDs (which for some reason seem to have noise added) with some HD fansubs that was favourable to the fansubs (I can't make the comparison myself directly as my computer can't handle h264 higher than SD and the PS3 can't do matroska which is the format most HD fansubs come in).

Shuchung wrote:
Too bad it's on Youtube where there's only going to be 10 people watching it. Should have put it up on Crunchyroll.

The first episode of Kiddy Grade - something that is not a new title and, has been available on DVD for ages and can be watched on the FUNimation site, currently has 7,498 views. Considering how new Shikabane is, I think it will do well enough, especially considering how popular youtube is compared to CR.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I can make the comparison, and you are right. I can definitely attest to the fact that 720p fansub h264 fansubs are very high quality when done right and will exceed the SD DVD release in terms of quality in many cases.

I do not stress 720p because it's not the most common format for fansubs (it's still fairly uncommon and is often too low in bitrate to give it's full advantage), but also because I really am not someone who supports turning this around to the point where people use it as a reason not to buy the SD DVDs. I think that some of the 720p gundam 00 episodes are going to be better than the DVD releases. Does that mean that I will not buy the SD DVDs? Absolutely not. And I'd have a problem with anyone who didn't buy them solely because they can get 720p "free." People should support what they like, even when the industry isn't doing what we think it should be doing.

On the flipside, I don't think we have to be pidgeonholed into using only what they provide, so I refuse to accept that the only moral way to watch anime online is to watch youtube quality. I will continue to watch fansubs and support the industry by purchasing DVDs at the same time, until such time as options are available that meet the criteria I'd like to see in an online service. When that occurs I am willing to pay for such a service in addition to DVDs, but realistically, overall I don't think my budget is going to increase for anime from it's current point. I already spend a lot on it.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:41 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
The first episode of Kiddy Grade - something that is not a new title and, has been available on DVD for ages and can be watched on the FUNimation site, currently has 7,498 views. Considering how new Shikabane is, I think it will do well enough, especially considering how popular youtube is compared to CR.

Now Alexa doesn't allow us to find data about channels within YouTube so saying that FUNi is more popular than CR based on this is not accurate.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Nowhere did I say that FUNi is more popular than CR. Youtube is clearly bigger and more popular than CR so to say that "it will only get 10 views so it should be on CR" is an over exaggeration is an understatement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3