• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Escaflowne Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firegirl22

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I loved the movie because Dilandou gets a much bigger role, and gets fun powers, plus in one of the scenes, his lips look so freakin' sexy! Well, he's definitely my favorite character of the series/movie and so I definitely enjoyed it. I liked the themes, because I have times where I want to die, and when watching that, you find a reason to get out of that.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:24 am Reply with quote
Dilandau's a "she". At least that's what she is in the TV series. It's rather vague in the movie but I'd expect little change in character design from TV series to movie.
aoi777

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:32 am Reply with quote
Well I don't hate it but I like character development in the shows. And since the movie only has under 2 hours to do it in, rather than just over 10 hours like the series. You can just to a better job. The movie of course has better animation I though. But I like Von's character in the series oppose to him in the move. He seems more like a barbarian, and well since I saw the series first I think that had an impact on me as well. I'm not one for change, so once I saw the series, that what stuck in my mind of what excaflowne should be. They incorporated a lot more elements in the series (I haven't seen it in awhile) but Von can use magic, or spells. Most of the main characters were there, and if I remember correctly I didn't like the ending of the movie. It felt rather empty.
AHZ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the television series, so I can't compare and contrast. But, I thought the movie was good.

Sometimes people get too caught up in analyzing and dissecting something that they forget to just sit down, shut up, and enjoy it.

Escaflowne is one of the few movies that I don't mind watching over and again; The animation is nice, and the soundtrack is awesome--that's good enough for me.
Kal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:34 pm Reply with quote
AHZ wrote:
Sometimes people get too caught up in analyzing and dissecting something that they forget to just sit down, shut up, and enjoy it.

Well said!! ::applauds:: And adding my own tidbit in, I agree with jfrog wholeheartedly, I really don't understand all the negative hype about the movie. It really didn't do a bad job in retelling the story, considering that it is a movie, not a series, afterall. It was done very elegantly, even if some people dislike the whole castle falling apart thing -- big deal, it was one scene, even if it was the last one, so suck it up Razz

Also, I really don't get why everyone said they were confused with the movie and how it's so fast paced. I watched the movie before the series as well, and truthfully, I wasn't confused one bit Anime smile + sweatdrop Perhaps I'm just weird that way... Anime catgrin on top of being one of the many few that thought that the retelling of the series was a definite improvement. As to why? I don't know. I can't place a finger on it. I just enjoyed the movie more than the series, probably because I felt that the series was a bit drawn out and sometimes a bit too... cheesy Confused
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, Escaflowne was supposed to be a shoujo anime so it tends to be a little cheesy.

The movie is not confusing, not in that sense of the word anyway. I just had different expectations for it and it came as a surprise how so many of the characters had changed. As mentioned, Van now looks more like a barbarian than a prince. He's more "wild". Allen now looks like some pirate character, very renegade, swashbuckler. I had expected the movie to be a continuation of the story in the TV series.

One thing I preferred about the movie though was the animation, which was way better than the already very good quality animation of the TV series.

The opening sequence with Van flying down onto the airship was stellar. Very dramatic.

The music, as before, was great. Well, anything by Yoko Kanno is great anyway.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:56 am Reply with quote
Kal wrote:
Also, I really don't get why everyone said they were confused with the movie and how it's so fast paced.

I never said the movie was confusing, it wasn't. however, I don't know how you can say it wasn't rushed. Like the series, spoiler[Van and Hitomi, satrt out opposing each other but end up in love. Unlike the series, the movie has nothing between the two extremes. All of a sudden their feelings for each other have changed, we don't know why or how. That is the main reason that the movie seems rushed.]
Kal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:37 am Reply with quote
Hm... I see your point, but I guess I don't really mind if they don't explain everything in a movie ^^'
firegirl22

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:01 am Reply with quote
Well, I think that Van and Hitomi were at that one village for quite awhile, so they got to know each other, and I don't think I'd have enjoyed the movie quite so much if they'd have dragged it out farther by adding where Hitomi and Van started to like each other. By the way, when I talk about Dilandou and say how I like him, I'm meaning him, not his other side. He's completely different than his other half, heck, he doesn't even know about his other half, and his other half doesn't know about him, so how can you say that he's not a separate person?
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:42 am Reply with quote
firegirl22 wrote:
Well, I think that Van and Hitomi were at that one village for quite awhile, so they got to know each other, and I don't think I'd have enjoyed the movie quite so much if they'd have dragged it out farther by adding where Hitomi and Van started to like each other. By the way, when I talk about Dilandou and say how I like him, I'm meaning him, not his other side. He's completely different than his other half, heck, he doesn't even know about his other half, and his other half doesn't know about him, so how can you say that he's not a separate person?

Well, in the series, they're one and the same. But of course, we're not expected to expect the same for Dilandau in the movie. I got confused there a bit. Sorry. Embarassed
Kanae

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I've only ever seen the movie, so I can only comment on it, but here's my two cents:

It wasn't the greatest movie ever. In the dub, at least (since, in this benighted little corner of the globe, that's all I had access to) the voice actors had absolutely no expression in their voices whatsoever. I think I would have understood certain elements better had I seen the series or read the manga, but since I haven't (damn my tight budget!) I just had to go on what the movie explained or I could guess. It's not the greatest movie ever, but it's by no means the worst.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2