• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Giant Annual ANN Pumpkin Carving Contest

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stretch24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
If you want to learn a little about anime Jack-o-Lantern carving, take a look here: http://anime.mikomi.org/episode/1124/101.html
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
I haave been watching since the beginning of october for this contest to pop up, I can't wait to do it this year, I finally have the right tools to do it, so watch out everyone! xD
Stretch24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
Here's another example: http://anime.mikomi.org/episode/1803/100.html
I was heartbroken to learn that artificial pumpkins couldn't be used, since I switched to them long ago. Considering the amounts of time and effort that are involved, using an ordinary pumpkin which will soon rot away seems pointless to me.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
Ah; I was so thinking of doing a higurashi pumpkin, drats! Someone did that last year. Now to a) get a pumpkin b) get artistic pumpkin carving skills c) get an idea!

Gee; that won't be so bad ;D
LKK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
I would love to see pictures of the prizes. I didn't know Ghost Hunt cell phone charms existed and want to know what one looks like. The other prizes listed sound great as well.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I've admired the contest participants before, but this year I think I'll try to come up with something myself.

And it really is quite common practice for companies to send free merchandise in exchange for being mentioned in the official notice, as was done here. How do you think conventions get their prizes? They write to companies and ask for support. It's very simple and, from the experiences I've had, most companies are very good about sending some really nice stuff.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

Also, are multiple entries allowed? I think there's been something about this in the rules in previous years but I can't find it.

Yes, but you can only win once.

LKK wrote:
I would love to see pictures of the prizes. I didn't know Ghost Hunt cell phone charms existed and want to know what one looks like. The other prizes listed sound great as well.

Alright, I snapped some photos just now, although I hope you don't mind that I kept them in the box. I really, really didn't want to repack the mountain of stuff. ;__;

A shot of all the stuff available
A closer shot of some of the bags
The Ghost Hunt cell phone strap

If you want descriptions of any of the prizes, you can look them up on Rightstuf, which sells most of the stuff (figures, messenger bags, etc). The Hellsing messenger bag has this design.

The Ghost Hunt cell phone straps that the winners will get are still in the packaging-- the one I took the picture of is the one that I have. The round thing lights up in different colors when you press on it.

Last edited by ANN_Bamboo on Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
With the extra prizes for CLAMP carvings, I expect there's be a lot of CLAMP pumpkins this year. Mokina would be the easiest. If you look at last year's entries, there's only one or two people who would have been eligiable.

I don't know if I'll enter this year. I'm still working out what I'm going to carve. And I don't wear T-shirts, so that's not much of an insentive. Still, there are a couple more prizes this year than last and it would be nice to get a freebee.
RiderG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
i wasn't planning on entering this year... but... that's... a lot of stuff! Anime hyper
LKK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Alright, I snapped some photos just now, although I hope you don't mind that I kept them in the box. I really, really didn't want to repack the mountain of stuff. ;__;

Thank you! That was very generous of you. I appreciate you taking a special pic of the Ghost Hunt prize for me.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Humbug to all of this! It's not a proper pumpkin carving if you don't use the stalk as a nose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
i carved out my pumpkin today, and it took forever. about 5 hours I think. im really proud of it. i dont think it is grand prize status, but maybe 2nd place.
simmererdown

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
Pumpkin for the contest was finished Sunday and its better than last year. I might carve another character and enter it, since we can.

Its a fun and easy thing to do! Everyone should try it!
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:21 am Reply with quote
I might give this a go, even though I've zero artistic ability and very little experience with pumpkins. It'll give me something fun to do with an evening. Anime smile
But, I must admit, the clause about shipping prizes only to US and Canada makes me feel a bit sad. I suppose it doesn't matter, since I wouldn't win anyway, but... Sad
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:00 am Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:

But, I must admit, the clause about shipping prizes only to US and Canada makes me feel a bit sad. I suppose it doesn't matter, since I wouldn't win anyway, but... Sad

Shipping cost aside, there are probably licensing restrictions since most of the prizes are DVDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13