• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Giant Annual ANN Pumpkin Carving Contest

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Because I work in retail, I am slightly skeptical that the prizes were generiously donated without a catch.

The "catch" is that we have to include the companies' logo at the bottom. Although, we offered to do that up front when we offered them the opportunity to sponsor this contest.

To be honest, these companies want us to give away more stuff, they keep asking, but we don't have the time.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
But weren't you at bit currious what was defective or otherwise damaged with the product? The last couple of "gifts" we have got at my job were often damaged, dirty or even almost non functional.

If we receive something damaged we won't give it away.

Quote:

I am also currious on how Anime News Network prevents cheaters from winning as well.

One would be surprized on what some would do win a contest. There is also the chance a person went on the internet and searched for image and copy and pasted the image in the email.

Quote:
Send in at least TWO jpgs of your finished pumpkin—one lit up at night, and one during the daytime with a sign in front of it that says "Anime News Network."

Quote:
Since I started working in retail I noticed any time a contest has a object that is worth money, people will do outragious things just to get the item, even if that means cheating.
Yes, we've seen people try to cheat in our contests many times before as well.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:

But, I must admit, the clause about shipping prizes only to US and Canada makes me feel a bit sad. I suppose it doesn't matter, since I wouldn't win anyway, but... Sad

fuuma_monou wrote:
Shipping cost aside, there are probably licensing restrictions since most of the prizes are DVDs.

It's first and foremost a shipping issue. We've had this rule for all our contests for years. Sometimes the cost of shipping a prize to another continent is more than the value of the prize.

No restrictions were placed on us by the companies that donated the prizes.

-t
wisdom_of_trees

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone have links to the winners for 2006 and 2007? I can't seem to find them.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
wisdom_of_trees wrote:
Does anyone have links to the winners for 2006 and 2007? I can't seem to find them.

animenewsnetwork.com/contest/2007-11-09/annual-pumpkin-carving/winners

animenewsnetwork.com/contest/2006-10-27/ann-annual-pumpkin-carving
RedHotFunk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Question;
I thought Gunbuster vs. Die Buster DVD Box didn't come out until December 2008 Question . I checked up sites like play-asia, and that's what seems to be the case. Could you guys verify this?

Oh an as well, Nono is t3h best <3 ^^
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:23 am Reply with quote
The movie doesn't come out on Blu-Ray until December, but the standard def movie came out at the beginning of the year.
Moogekii

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
Would video game pumpkins work? Or is it strictly to anime (possibly a stupid question)
AisuruMirai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
Yikes!!! I bought 5 pumpkins 2 weeks ago & I still haven't even decided what to carve with the new lasers & precision surgical instruments & IEDs I bought. & now I find out that there are contests within the contest! Oh dear.

Next year I'm gonna take a week of vacation so I actually have enough time to do this properly. It's such a mad rush every year. But anyway, here we go again... Good luck everyone!!

That's a lot of stuff to win. A lot. Good job, ANN!

じゃ、
アイスル未来
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
AisuruMirai wrote:
lasers & precision surgical instruments & IEDs

These are all but useless tools without the aid of an old breadknife and a big spoon. Scooping out the innards to put the little candle in is all I'm really able to do within this art.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akukame

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
AisuruMirai wrote:
Next year I'm gonna take a week of vacation so I actually have enough time to do this properly. It's such a mad rush every year. But anyway, here we go again... Good luck everyone!!

You and me both. Usually its like "get my stuff together and all in order so the one day I have more than an hour free I can get everything done at once. And for me, thats tuesday. So hopefully I'll pump out a pumpkin or two on tuesday.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Moogekii wrote:
Would video game pumpkins work? Or is it strictly to anime (possibly a stupid question)

Preferably anime.

AisuruMirai wrote:
Yikes!!! I bought 5 pumpkins 2 weeks ago & I still haven't even decided what to carve with the new lasers & precision surgical instruments & IEDs I bought. & now I find out that there are contests within the contest! Oh dear.

*NEW* lasers? I thought everybody already had lasers *last* year!
RiderG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
well got mine done. this was a definite pain in the arse -_- not sure if it'll place this time tho. there's gotta be specific tools ya'll use for doing this Confused
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
RiderG wrote:
well got mine done. this was a definite pain in the arse -_- not sure if it'll place this time tho. there's gotta be specific tools ya'll use for doing this Confused

I wonder about that too, I'm using the blades from those store bought safe pumpkin carving kits, as that's what I have lying around, but my pumpkin looks significantly messier than all you people that have won over the years. Granted, that's probably just my inexperience showing.

Still, at the least I know my pumpkin is far better than my entry last year, so I'm just excited to get to show it off! Very Happy

AisuruMirai wrote:
Yikes!!! I bought 5 pumpkins 2 weeks ago & I still haven't even decided what to carve with the new lasers & precision surgical instruments & IEDs I bought.

...like that. But I think I can at least get an E for effort. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
RiderG wrote:

I wonder about that too, I'm using the blades from those store bought safe pumpkin carving kits, as that's what I have lying around, but my pumpkin looks significantly messier than all you people that have won over the years. Granted, that's probably just my inexperience showing.

In my experience, it's not so much about the tools you use, as it is how much time you spend afterward cleaning it up. You can use a kitchen knife or one of those multi pumpkin carving tools, but the best you'll get is a rough draft of your pumpkin. After that's done, that's when you go in and carefully shave off the tendrils and bits that are sticking out.

I've also found that the best way to "clean up" a rough draft is to fix it from the inside out. Usually if you shave off the rough bits on the inside of the pumpkin, it looks better on the outside, because those bits will interfere with the light source.
RiderG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
In my experience, it's not so much about the tools you use, as it is how much time you spend afterward cleaning it up. You can use a kitchen knife or one of those multi pumpkin carving tools, but the best you'll get is a rough draft of your pumpkin. After that's done, that's when you go in and carefully shave off the tendrils and bits that are sticking out.

I've also found that the best way to "clean up" a rough draft is to fix it from the inside out. Usually if you shave off the rough bits on the inside of the pumpkin, it looks better on the outside, because those bits will interfere with the light source.

and then you gotta make sure you get it done before it starts curling in on itself Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13