• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Commentary?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugmenot2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Does anybody know directors of anime movies (or T.V. series) who give good commentary on their work? I've recently gotten into listening to this stuff.

Also, anybody know if Miyazaki does commentaries?
CSousuke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Masamune Shirow. I watched a bonus commentary that comes with the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig DVD. I don't really know what to say about it though. I mean it was cool and all, but I don't know why you want to know so I don't know what to tell you about it.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Commentary quality, whether you're talking Japanese originals or on the American production end, varies an awful lot from title to title, even for the same individual. There's no one person you can point to and say, "well, he always gives good commentary content."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I never gave it much thought myself. I don't think I've ever watch the commentary track on any DVD I've owned, be it anime or not. Maybe I will one day. Personally I preview cast interviews. I loved the one at the end of the 2nd OAV for Tenchi Muyo, but it doesn't seem like a lot of anime licensors in the states do it too much. Either that or I just haven't seen the right DVDs yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I loved the English commentary on End of Eva, if for no other reason than the cast members' reactions to a certain infamous scene near the beginning. Laughing
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the japanese director giving commentary on FLCL. I don't even know his name without looking it up nor if he does it for any other titles he's worked on....

Very informative and funny. It was actually more of an interview I think, with someone asking questions as the episode played.

Of course to be able to listen and read, it's japanese audio w/ dubbed over commentary + english subtitles only of the commentary. First time I ever watched the series in japanese.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I remember a lot of good commentaries. I also remember a lot of bad ones, though. I really can't say "This will have substance, this will not," but a general rule of thumb is that conversations with the director and writer, and art director will have more substance than conversations with the composer, voice actors, or producer. Just the nature of the way these people tic.

Not that actor commentaries can't be amusing. Such silly people, actors. So crazy and kooky and screwy! Laughing (Oh, wait, I am one... Embarassed )
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
If you're looking for funny try:

Spiral and Fruits Baskets. Both had me in stitches. You should watch them after you watch the show first, because they spoil things. But they are great; and the Spiral one had me wondering the same thing as the voice actors did.

These are english ones btw. Enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
If you're looking for funny try:

Spiral and Fruits Baskets. Both had me in stitches. You should watch them after you watch the show first, because they spoil things. But they are great; and the Spiral one had me wondering the same thing as the voice actors did.

These are english ones btw. Enjoy.

Nice, I bought the Fruits Basket boxset last Friday and am watching it this week.

Generally, I prefer commentaries from the English crew, simply because I'll play the DVD on my computer while using the Internet. So since I'm not actually watching the episode but merely listening to the commentary, Japanese with subtitles doesn't accomplish much. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1