• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - A.D. Police Files

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm still wondering how anyone can sit through Streets of Fire like they could with The Warriors.

I've never watched Streets of Fire, but checking out its IMDB and Wiki, the first thing I thought of was "The Warriors" as a comparison. Like its a cult classic from the same period.

I think I might check that flick out too.
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
i have both the dub and subs on VHS, i love The Phantom Woman, it was very Blade Runner like and was also IMHO the strongest of the three.

The Ripper episode was okay but wasnt bad.

The Man Who Bites his Tounge was the worst one, it was bad and it felt rushed.

also i have the Manga to A.D. Police Files: The Phantom Woman that i bought at Half-Price Books.

the sound tracks are good, with actually the soundtrack to episode 3 being the best one and the soundtrack to episode 1 being the worst.

i just with that the intro music had the same lyrics as... (i thought i remembered it but forgot, will post the song title tonight when i get home).
aluria

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I own Bubblegum Crisis, both the OAV and TV series. AD Police Files has been on my radar for a while but I had thought it was the same as AD Police, thanks for clearing that up. Definitely going to have to watch this now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm still wondering how anyone can sit through Streets of Fire like they could with The Warriors.

To be sure, it's not a good movie. I enjoy parts of it, but I have trouble sitting through the whole thing too. (And it's not that long!)

That said, there are so many elements and themes in it that have become staples of anime, (idol singers, motorcycle gangs, reluctant hero with chip on shoulder, bittersweet ending, 80s theatrical surrealism, power of youth, etc...) that if you've seen enough 80s anime it feels like familiar, even cliché territory. Even though there's really very few live action movies like it.

Personally, I find the ending sequence to be so over-the-top and ridiculous, like an orgy of musical theater dorks trying to be tuff, that it descends into hilarious self-parody. Ah, Jim Steinman songs! (I shall find a karaoke place SOMEWHERE with Streets of Fire songs, if it's the last thing I do!)
2footgiant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
this was one of the first animes i watch, i stupidly sold it, but i found it again at best buy.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:
Is this where AD Vision got its name from?

Laughing Thanks, you just made my day so much brighter with that!

Yeah, I too thought that AD Police Files was just a rerelease of the original AD Police. Guess I'll have to go pick it up... hope Fry's still has it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Guilhem

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
The Man Who Bites His Tongue is the least of the three stories, a clear Robocop rip-off

Well, since Robocop ripped off 8-Man first, I think it's only fair. Wink

[...]

And the odds are that 8-Man ripped off something else...

The concept of "a character loses his humanity because of artificial body parts (or a complete artificial body)" is very old in science-fiction culture, to say the least: more than a theme, it's a truism

An interesting review nonetheless, as usual, but Justin gave me the feeling he was rather unfamiliar with the cyberpunk genre, at least concerning its literary roots: the Outlaw Technologists, the Eighties Wave, the Neuromantics (Norman Spinrad inside), the Mirrorshades Group,... well, the Cyberpunks to sum all this up, have always marinated "among the rats, the homeless, the clinically unhappy"; it was their creed right from the beginning, among many others, but it's true that cyberpunk in animes or movies is not always the most representative of this branch of science-fiction

Thanks to have put this one back into the light it deserves: this was really welcome
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Guilhem wrote:

An interesting review nonetheless, as usual, but Justin gave me the feeling he was rather unfamiliar with the cyberpunk genre, at least concerning its literary roots: the Outlaw Technologists, the Eighties Wave, the Neuromantics (Norman Spinrad inside), the Mirrorshades Group,... well, the Cyberpunks to sum all this up, have always marinated "among the rats, the homeless, the clinically unhappy"; it was their creed right from the beginning, among many others, but it's true that cyberpunk in animes or movies is not always the most representative of this branch of science-fiction

Yeah it seems most people get there basis for Cyberpunk from Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell, when really these are only the basically cyberpunk(and in the case of Blade Runner maybe not cyberpunk at all). You really have to read novels like Nueromancer to fully understand the genre.
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
That's far from the only direct Streets of Fire homage in anime. (I'm thinking of Zillion: Burning Night, which rips it off completely.) I'm honestly considering doing an Buried Treasure special on just anime ripped from Streets of Fire!

*gets pleasant Megazone 23 flashback*

That would definitely be something to look forward to reading actually...

Streets of Fire was ok for its time. I was a kid when I saw it. I think I could actually sit through it now even with the cheesy romance elements.

Tom Cody. Pleased to meet ya.

I Can Dream About Youuu...
if I Can't Hold You Toniiiiight.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I do like the Original AD Police OVAs, an exploration of the psycho sexual repercussions of cybernaetic replacements, and how this characters explore this cyberpunk landscape, and we get some insights on Leon and the AD Police when they didn't have those fancy gyro copters and K-11 armor suits and had to handle boomers with just guts and machinegun fire and a worthy sequel/prequel to the original BGC ovas.

jsevakis wrote:
GATSU wrote:

To be sure, it's not a good movie. I enjoy parts of it, but I have trouble sitting through the whole thing too. (And it's not that long!)

That said, there are so many elements and themes in it that have become staples of anime, (idol singers, motorcycle gangs, reluctant hero with chip on shoulder, bittersweet ending, 80s theatrical surrealism, power of youth, etc...) that if you've seen enough 80s anime it feels like familiar, even cliché territory. Even though there's really very few live action movies like it.

Although I haven't seen Streets of Fire, I do love the excesses of 80's action movies where anything could happen and nobody would bat an eye about how ludicrous it was like Commando, Rambo or Yor, the Hunter of the Future where the hero could hang glide with the carcass of a flying monster to deliver a missile drop kick to a purple caveman while his metal theme song plays during the sequence. Someone, get Paul Chapman this movie pronto!!!!.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see I'm not the only one that loved these OAVs. Though I think I'm the only one that really enjoyed The Man Who Bites his Tongue. Maybe it's because it was the first of the bunch I saw, but it just worked as a much darker Robocop. I sort of want to build a costume off it to see how people react, given it's obscurity.

I have the old VHS release for this (though my copy of The Ripper is dubbed, though I thought it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be). I sort of want to check out the UK version now (I might have seen a bit here and there).

Thanks a bunch on the Lou Bonnevile info. Interesting to hear that she's still around. The music is one of the odd things of the series that made it work so damn well. Animeigo's trailers for it sort of addicted me to Every Girl. The lyrics never match, but works in ways indescribable. It is one of those shows that just oozes with atmosphere and works better than it should. I even managed to dig up the old manga.

It's definitely a great sidenote to BGC and one of the few series I find myself watching every now and again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Descent123

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
After finish watching it I thought it was ok. The art was good, but the plot and pacing was less than stellar. I might pick up the DVD (it's super cheap), but then again I don't know if I want to watch it again. Oh well, still a good article Justin. Wink
Guilhem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:55 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Nice to see I'm not the only one that loved these OAVs. Though I think I'm the only one that really enjoyed The Man Who Bites his Tongue. Maybe[...]

No, you aren't: it's definitively my favorite in the bunch
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
I do like the Original AD Police OVAs, an exploration of the psycho sexual repercussions of cybernaetic replacements, and how this characters explore this cyberpunk landscape, and we get some insights on Leon and the AD Police when they didn't have those fancy gyro copters and K-11 armor suits and had to handle boomers with just guts and machinegun fire and a worthy sequel/prequel to the original BGC ovas.

jsevakis wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Although I haven't seen Streets of Fire, I do love the excesses of 80's action movies where anything could happen and nobody would bat an eye about how ludicrous it was like Commando, Rambo or Yor, the Hunter of the Future where the hero could hang glide with the carcass of a flying monster to deliver a missile drop kick to a purple caveman while his metal theme song plays during the sequence. Someone, get Paul Chapman this movie pronto!!!!.

And really, that's the kinda stuff every snob and their grandmother hates on. Personally, that's what I miss most about movies today. The sheer fun of it all. It doesn't have to make sense in every perfect way, it just has to be entertaining. Yeah, there are stupid movies (and stupid anime out there) but, watching something for the artistic value gets a little dull after a while. Sometimes it's nice to cut back and just have fun. So, yeah I totally agree with you! Streets of Fire is a very fun movie, as well as the Warriors. A.D. Police, while definitely not fun (in that grim and gritty, gross out kinda way), is pretty doggone good. Enough action, suspense and violence to keep you pretty well glued to your seat. The animation ain't too bad either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I liked the AD Police OVAs. And I own the original AD Police 25:00 :The Side Story of The Knight Sabers Manga by Tony Takezaki(version that is published in Japanese and English,came out in 1991). I bought it back in 1993.

I remember Viz had an AD police manga in the Animerica magazine that ran for a few issues. They later released it as a graphic novel, but I never picked it up. Wish I had though. I still own the Animerica issues from that time(1992-93).

AD Police to me has that special "Blade Runner" feel to it!
And it is an anime that is worth watching over again and again.
And Yes I do know that BubbleGum Crisis and AD Police were inspired by Blade Runner.

I recommend it and the original Bubblegum Crisis, and Bubblegum Crash for everyone to watch!!!

Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3