• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tiger Mask Donors Return on 1-Year Anniversary

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh, my heart is all warmed up now, thanks Smile
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to come out and say it: this is the best freaking thing I've ever seen Japanese anime fans do. It makes me so happy to see people from our fandom go out of their way to help orphans Smile
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Haven't heard any news until just now, so our mask-wearing friend has come back to help. It's really nice to hear this person is still active.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Great to see this movement return, as it was simply awesome to keep hearing about last year. It helps remind one that Naoto Date/Tiger Mask was simply a normal man with extraordinary skills who wanted to help orphans, and that anyone could be Tiger Mask, which is how the actual wrestling persona is in Japan....

Not some normal man who wears a suit and "transforms" into a maksed warrior, which is apparently what the live-action movie adaptation of Tiger Mask, which is getting made because of this movement, thinks Tiger Mask should be. Truly the "common man" understands what Tiger Mask is about more than Japan's equivalent of Hollywood. Hell, Nacho Libre, which had the same basic premise, seemed to understand this idea better.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Doubt these are anime fans - Tiger Mask is a mainstream icon.

Besides, anime fans would have more to give if they haven't spent all their gift money on overpriced goods in Akihabara.
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Doubt these are anime fans

Because anime fans can't possibly be generous, amirite?

enurtsol wrote:
Besides, anime fans would have more to give if they haven't spent all their gift money on overpriced goods in Akihabara.

You don't know how much they earn nor how much of that goes to shopping or charity.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Ahem...
Quote:
Other characters who "contributed" to the cause included Momotarō, Ashita no Joe, Evangelion's Rei Ayanami and Ryōji Kaji, Haruhi Suzumiya, Crayon Shin-chan, Arsène Lupin, Kamen Rider, the real-life samurai warlord (and Sengoku Basara character) Date Masamune, Kyojin no Hoshi, Stitch, and Tetsujin 28-gō.

Donors under the names of the K-ON! anime character Yui, Doraemon, Mario and Yoshi of the Super Mario games, Anpanman, Ai no Senshi Rainbowman, Seigi wo Aisuru Mono Gekkō Kamen, Hideto Matsumoto (X Japan's late guitarist hide), and Laputa: Castle in the Sky's Muska then helped push the number of donations to Japanese children's centers past 700 in January. A total of 620 backpacks and 24 million yen (US$290,000) were contributed between Christmas and mid-January. Then in November, another donor by the name of Ultra Seven donated one million yen (about US$12,809) to an orphanage in Hokkaido Prefecture.

Clearly these people chose Anime character names because they totally aren't into Anime. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:07 am Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Nah, because they can't possibly have much money left to be that generous. They barely leave just enough for their noodles and six-tatami abodes, while anime and merch prices are high. Laughing

Nemo_N wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

You don't know how much they earn nor how much of that goes to shopping or charity.

Charity or philanthropy actually isn't that well-known in Japanese culture, so that's out. And they do a lot of shopping. Laughing

Rukiia wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Ahem...
Quote:
Other characters who "contributed" to the cause included Momotarō, Ashita no Joe, Evangelion's Rei Ayanami and Ryōji Kaji, Haruhi Suzumiya, Crayon Shin-chan, Arsène Lupin, Kamen Rider, the real-life samurai warlord (and Sengoku Basara character) Date Masamune, Kyojin no Hoshi, Stitch, and Tetsujin 28-gō.

Donors under the names of the K-ON! anime character Yui, Doraemon, Mario and Yoshi of the Super Mario games, Anpanman, Ai no Senshi Rainbowman, Seigi wo Aisuru Mono Gekkō Kamen, Hideto Matsumoto (X Japan's late guitarist hide), and Laputa: Castle in the Sky's Muska then helped push the number of donations to Japanese children's centers past 700 in January. A total of 620 backpacks and 24 million yen (US$290,000) were contributed between Christmas and mid-January. Then in November, another donor by the name of Ultra Seven donated one million yen (about US$12,809) to an orphanage in Hokkaido Prefecture.

Clearly these people chose Anime character names because they totally aren't into Anime. Rolling Eyes

Well, I was specifically referring to Tiger Mask, but you do have a point with the other ones.

Still, I don't think most of what you emphasized are mostly anime fans. Let's see........

Momotaro - popular Japanese folklore, familiar to every Japanese
Ashita no Joe - popular classic series
Crayon Shin-chan - like The Simpsons, known by regular Japanese
Arsene Lupin - can be considered a mainstream icon
Kamen Rider - tokusatsu, regular folks watch it with their kids
Date Masamune - a real-life samurai warlord
Doraemon - mainstream icon, like Mickey Mouse
Mario and Yoshi of the Super Mario games - known not just in Japan but globally
Anpanman - mainstream icon
Rainbowman - tokusatsu
Laputa: Castle in the Sky's Muska - like anything Ghibli, mainstream

So, chances are, those particular ones could've more easily been just regular folk - the same way donations made in the name of Homer Simpson or Spongebob Squarepants I wouldn't automatically consider to be into animation.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:36 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Nah, because they can't possibly have much money left to be that generous. They barely leave just enough for their noodles and six-tatami abodes, while anime and merch prices are high. Laughing

Nemo_N wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

Charity or philanthropy actually isn't that well-known in Japanese culture, so that's out. And they do a lot of shopping. Laughing

Rukiia wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Ahem...
Quote:

Well, I was specifically referring to Tiger Mask, but you do have a point with the other ones.

Still, I don't think most of what you emphasized are mostly anime fans. Let's see........

Rainbowman - tokusatsu

So, chances are, those particular ones could've more easily been just regular folk - the same way donations made in the name of Homer Simpson or Spongebob Squarepants I wouldn't automatically consider to be into animation.

K-on is an anime that is pretty much for anime fans and was one of the series who had characters who's names was used. also characters generally become cultural icons by being good characters that people like, and many anime fans LOVE conan edogawa and Luffy and they are mainstream the two things are not mutually exclusive
Banjo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:25 am Reply with quote
Tiger Mask is #1 Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Rainbowman - tokusatsu

K-on is an anime that is pretty much for anime fans and was one of the series who had characters who's names was used. also characters generally become cultural icons by being good characters that people like, and many anime fans LOVE conan edogawa and Luffy and they are mainstream the two things are not mutually exclusive

If you re-check what I wrote above, I didn't contradict K-On - that's one of the points I conceded to Rukiia ("Well, I was specifically referring to Tiger Mask, but you do have a point with the other ones.")

And I don't infer that some cultural icons or mainstream anime are mutually exclusive between anime fans and regular folk, but I stated, "chances are, those particular ones could've more easily been just regular folk." For example, let's say anime fans comprise 10-20% of the Japanese population, then 10-to-1 up to 5-to-1, there's a better chance it's just regular folk who used those cultural icons or mainstream anime.

Yes, anime fans are more likely to use anime/manga/game characters than regular folk, but it seems the donators have all been using anime/manga/game characters, so we can't simply use that preference to separate them.
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Again, you don't know how much they earn, how much they spend on goods and how much on charity. You can't possibly know how much money they have left without knowing that first.

enurtsol wrote:

Nemo_N wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

Try reading the stuff you link to:
Quote:
Hillis also argues that Confucianism influences Japanese charity. While Christianity encourages public repentance of sin (through charity), Confucianism discourages openly sharing the problems or needs of oneself or others. “Consequently, charitable work in Japan is preferably done in secrecy and without recognition.

[snip]

Haddard notes, for example, that about 21 million Japanese volunteer in the Red Cross, while only about 1 million Americans volunteer (Japan has about half the population of the United States). There are almost three times as many volunteer firefighters in Japan as in the U.S. And nearly 90 percent of Japanese households are members of their neighborhood associations.

[snip]

In the real world, however, this doesn’t mean charity is not taking place in Japan. Neighborhood associations are facilitating aid and information exchanges, volunteer fire departments are making their way through miles of rubble, and employers are looking after their employees without flourish.

You dislike what you call "anime fans", we get it. But by basing your claims simply on your prejudices, you are clearly disliking people that exist solely inside your head.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Rainbowman - tokusatsu

If you re-check what I wrote above, I didn't contradict K-On - that's one of the points I conceded to Rukiia ("Well, I was specifically referring to Tiger Mask, but you do have a point with the other ones.")

And I don't infer that some cultural icons or mainstream anime are mutually exclusive between anime fans and regular folk, but I stated, "chances are, those particular ones could've more easily been just regular folk." For example, let's say anime fans comprise 10-20% of the Japanese population, then 10-to-1 up to 5-to-1, there's a better chance it's just regular folk who used those cultural icons or mainstream anime.

Yes, anime fans are more likely to use anime/manga/game characters than regular folk, but it seems the donators have all been using anime/manga/game characters, so we can't simply use that preference to separate them.

you do realize you just conceded that there are most likely some anime fans who are using their favorite characters names right. who else would leave one under the name YUI the show is made for otaku. you can't just omit stuff that does not contradicts your theory. while I won't say that the person who started the movement was necessarily an anime fan, I think it is HIGHLY likely that it has been taken over by anime fans, who are using mainstream character's names, such as Muska from castle in the sky, who is a really random choice for a mainstream anime fan.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Can we not turn this nice, heartwarming moment into a pissing contest about who can define anime fandom better? Thanks
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Again, you don't know how much they earn, how much they spend on goods and how much on charity. You can't possibly know how much money they have left without knowing that first.

Though I was mostly joking anyways (being hyperbolic "noodles and six-tatami abodes"), what you say is true. Though if we correlate most of them as working middle class like most people, with a per capita donation of 2000 yen - 75% of which come from corporations not individuals, we can collectively infer "not much" even when we don't know how much each earns individually.

Nemo_N wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

Nemo_N wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

Try reading the stuff you link to:

You dislike what you call "anime fans", we get it. But by basing your claims simply on your prejudices, you are clearly disliking people that exist solely inside your head.

I don't dislike "anime fans" at all (I am one, after all) - I just think Japanese anime fans have less money to give than regular Japanese folk who don't give that much charity donations already (that's supported by facts, not existing solely in your head; Japan is actually different).

And not to discredit the philanthropy (as opposed to charity donations) mentioned in the article, but most of those are what can be classified as local neighborhood organizations (except firefighters). I've been in those (like neighborhood watches), and it's like participating in neighborhood activities like social clubs. Still a benefit to do though, but it's more for your own immediate neighborhood like helping your own family.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

you do realize you just conceded that there are most likely some anime fans who are using their favorite characters names right. who else would leave one under the name YUI the show is made for otaku. you can't just omit stuff that does not contradicts your theory. while I won't say that the person who started the movement was necessarily an anime fan, I think it is HIGHLY likely that it has been taken over by anime fans, who are using mainstream character's names, such as Muska from castle in the sky, who is a really random choice for a mainstream anime fan.

For K-On and Yui, I already said I conceded that - that's why I omitted those. But for the many other ones I did not omit, I did not concede, and I listed them so I can explain my reasoning why, chances are, those are not anime fans but just regular folk.

I do not think most of those are anime fans. I think they are regular folk who are using well-known cultural icons or mainstream anime/manga/game characters just because everyone else is using anime/manga/game characters. There are a lot more regular folk than anime fans, so the chances are with them.

Shenl742 wrote:
Can we not turn this nice, heartwarming moment into a pissing contest about who can define anime fandom better? Thanks

No problem. I'm not trying to define anime fandom. Heck, I'm simply saying this mostly does not involve anime fandom at all, save for the use of well-known anime cultural icons or characters by regular folk. (It's just that some are trying to co-opt most of the credit to anime fans like us instead of to regular folk.) Smile

But yes, kudos to those, some anime fans and mostly regular folk, whoever they are who donated. They deserve the credit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2